DouglasL
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)

I am just back from this tour and would like to record my thoughts on it, which might prove helpful to those still to go on the tour.

First of all, some background info, which gives an indication as to where my comments are coming from.

I graduated in Hotel Management and ran my family hotel in the west of Scotland for 20 years - AA 3 star, 50 bedrooms, 2 lounges, 3 bars, 300 seat restaurant and ballroom for 500.

After selling my hotel I moved to Edinburgh and set up my own Destination Management Company providing services for US Tour Groups coming to Scotland ie Hotels, Coaches, Guides, Entrances etc. I ran this company until I retired in 2007. I was also a member of the VisitScotland industry committee which oversees all aspects of the quality grading of accommodation sector and just came off the committee last year.

Flights / Transfers.

Coming from Edinburgh, it was an early afternoon flight to Gatwick and then the early evening flight to Pisa. We did not get to the hotel until about 10.30pm and then had a meal. It was nearly midnight before I got to my bedroom. A long day - the rest of the group had been at the hotel from early afternoon. This was a most disappointing start to the tour. I would have preferred to have flown down to Gatwick on the Wednesday night and stayed one night at a Gatwick Airport hotel.

Both transfers from / to Pisa Airport took about 50 minutes.

Coaches / Drivers / Guides.

We had 2 different coaches for the tour: Thurs/Sat & Mon/Thurs. Both were excellent modern coaches, fully air-conditioned and fitted with seat belts.

The drivers were very good - either on the autostrada or the hilly rods of Tuscany. The ferries to / from the Island of Elba were also good. Roads on Elba were "interesting" - not many straight sectors - all bends!

Due to local tourism regulations, we had local guides in Siena and Florence. We also had little headsets to hear the commentary of the guides.

The lady in Siena (whose name I have forgotten) had plenty of knowledge but a rather dry presentation. She was also difficult to hear - some others in the group also had this problem. Tried to increase the volume control on the headset but this did not work.

In Florence, our guide, Sierro, was excellent - clear, interesting and also had a sense of humour.

One thing that could be improved would be to ensure that the guides carried a "flag / banner", which was held up at all times. Due to the very high volume of tour groups in Florence, it was difficult to see him, especially if you stopped to take a photo. I "lost him" couple of times.

Cecina di Mare.

This is a lovely small Italian seaside town. The Hotel is on the main road along the sea-front. There are lots of small bars, cafes and restaurants. The beach is just across the road from the hotel. The local Sunday market is worth a visit.

Sightseeing.

All places visited were very interesting - in different ways. There is a lot of walking involved. Plenty of opportunities to shop and also have a leisurely lunch in a square.

The Italian ice cream - magnifico! You must try the ice cream in the award winning gelataria in San Gimignano.

I would also highly recommend the two optional excursions to Lucca and the Island of Elba.

However be prepared for some long days - a 12 hour day, a 11 hour day and a 10 hour day - the sightseeing is well worth it!

Hotel il Settebello.

This is an excellent family run 3 star hotel. Salvatore and his staff are superb - always smiling. The rooms vary in size but all have showers, wc, air-conditioning and TV with CNN and BBC World News.

The food in the restaurant, which is across the road from the hotel, is good simple Italian cuisine.

For breakfast, there is a large buffet with cereals, yoghurt, bread, cake, croissants and some cold meat. There are also 3 self-machines - one for fruit juice and two for coffee. The one on the left is for stronger coffee and the coffee is hotter than the one on the right.

Dinner starts with an extensive cold buffet - 15 / 20 choices of vegetables, potatoes etc. This is followed by a 3 course menu with 3 choices for the second course and the main course. You choose the what you want for these two courses at breakfast. Second course includes pasta and soup - the best pasta that I have ever tasted. Main courses are meat, veal, and a variety of fresh fish. There is just one dessert.

Coffee, after dinner, is available in the hotel - either on the terrace at the front door or in the lobby - ordered from the bar. Watch out for the size of the drink measures from the bar!

There is a roof top terrace for sunbathing.

However, if you are expecting a 4 star hotel, you will be disappointed.

Tour Manager.

The Tour Manager is Jonathan Clarke. What a wonderful Tour Manager. Apart from carrying out the "normal" duties of a Tour Manager ie checking us on / off the coach, advising of meeting times etc, his knowledge of Tuscany - the places that we visited, its people and history is immense. He was equivalent of a highly qualified Blue Badge guide in the UK.

The two quiz nights are great fun.

And, finally, is there any way that the tour might be improved? I was quite disappointed to find that we did not have name badges. They are not need on the excursions, but it would have been good to have them for the evenings - even if they only had our first names on them.

You spoke to a lot of people on the tour, but did not always ask or remember their first names.

A wonderful tour.

Grazie - JustYou.

;)

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Douglas

What a great write up from you, it felt like a trip down memory lane for me as its been a few years since I went on this tour, but I do remember the ICE CREAM...

Regarding name badges I have mentioned this to tour managers before, as I get embarrassed having to ask people there names all the time I don't know if its to do with privacy etc but its never happened on the tours...

My self personally I would be more than happy to have a name badge.

Cindy

DouglasL
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'nixon' wrote:

Douglas

What a great write up from you, it felt like a trip down memory lane for me as its been a few years since I went on this tour, but I do remember the ICE CREAM...

Regarding name badges I have mentioned this to tour managers before, as I get embarrassed having to ask people there names all the time I don't know if its to do with privacy etc but its never happened on the tours...

My self personally I would be more than happy to have a name badge.

Cindy

Hi, Cindy

Thanks for your comments on my review. Re the name badges, I am suggesting that the group would only use them at dinner not on any excursions. Having said that, there was an "Insight Vacations" tour which was at Siena and San Gimignano at the same time and they had their badges on for the excursions.

Like you I am not good with names so just carried on any chats with other tour members without knowing their names - I feel old age coming on fast!!

:)

Puer aeternus
(Member)
Doug,

i'm on tis tour in a few weeks so your review is most helpful, however, FORGET name badges!! 😕 I'm too old to be taken back to school!

Cheers for the rest of the review though!

Bosuncat
(Member)
Thank you so much for the review Douglas. I am on the 3rd October departure like the young man above. 🙂 It was really useful to have your insight into everything.

I kinda like the idea of name badges within the hotel to be honest. I am terrible with names too.

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Douglas...

I am with you old age is a pain!!!! Ha ha ..and regarding badges I agree just at night meals times would be fine, I don't want to be wearing it all day ha ha...

Cindy

Bosuncat
(Member)
Douglas/Cindy. Just a small question here.

I have a citrus intolerance which is nothing major but I have learnt to avoid oranges etc which is a shame because I used to love them. Grapefuit too. Douglas mentioned a juice machine at breakfast. Is it only orange juice can you remember? Apple juice is the only thing I can really take without problems. Looking forward to the stronger coffee!

Bit concerned about the very long days mentioned. What time did you eat at night generally?

Getting myself prepared for the quiz nights and the bigger bar measures!

DouglasL
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Bosuncat' wrote:

I have a citrus intolerance which is nothing major but I have learnt to avoid oranges etc which is a shame because I used to love them. Grapefuit too. Douglas mentioned a juice machine at breakfast. Is it only orange juice can you remember? Apple juice is the only thing I can really take without problems. Looking forward to the stronger coffee!

Bit concerned about the very long days mentioned. What time did you eat at night generally?

Hi, Bosuncat

The juice machine has, as far as I can remember, 4 or 6 ?? buttons that you can push - all, obviously in Italian!! I found the red orange juice button by trial and error but did not taste any of the others, so there could be an apple juice one - best way is to ask the Tour Manager, Jonathan, at breakfast.

Again, I only discovered the stronger coffee machine half way into the week - it is much better.

Dinner usually started between 7.30pm and 7.45pm dependent on when we got back from our day tours. Breakfast was, on some mornings very early, from 6.30am, as we had to start, especially for the Island of Elba trip about 7am / 7.30am to get to the Ferry Terminal - about one hour from the hotel.

Hope that this helps.

Douglas.

;)

Puer aeternus
(Member)
looking forward to this holiday too,..... they didnt post my last 'post' about me hating the thought of name badges, too controversal for JY??? this isn't Twitter! LOL 😕
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Bosuncat

Agree with all that Douglas has said......there are definitely many choices for juice, if there is not one you can get on I am more than sure that you would be able to buy a carton in the local village or perhaps the hotel would get you one in JUST FOR YOU!! Jonathan will be able to sort you out!...

To be honest I don't remember early starts (but then I have done many USA tours that do have early starts) I did not do the Isle of Elba tour I choose to sunbathe in the roof terrace. Even if you are out for the day it's not to exhausting, more of a plod than a hike.

You will have a great time, I hope you get a good room as the do vary, and enjoy the large measures..

Cindy

Puer aeternus
(Member)
'DouglasL' wrote:

'Bosuncat' wrote:

Hi, Bosuncat

The juice machine has, as far as I can remember, 4 or 6 ?? buttons that you can push - all, obviously in Italian!! I found the red orange juice button by trial and error but did not taste any of the others, so there could be an apple juice one - best way is to ask the Tour Manager, Jonathan, at breakfast.

Again, I only discovered the stronger coffee machine half way into the week - it is much better.

Dinner usually started between 7.30pm and 7.45pm dependent on when we got back from our day tours. Breakfast was, on some mornings very early, from 6.30am, as we had to start, especially for the Island of Elba trip about 7am / 7.30am to get to the Ferry Terminal - about one hour from the hotel.

Hope that this helps.

Douglas.

;)

Hi Doug,

Can you remember what facilities were in the room? was there a kettle/cups tea/coffe/milk, or should we bring out own? and what is the local wine and beer like?!

Cheers

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
when I was there there were no tea making facility's the lady in the next room to me had her early morning tea tray sent up, this would be charged for...cannot comment in the wine or beer question I am a RUM person.

Cindy

DouglasL
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Puer wrote:

'DouglasL' wrote:

'Bosuncat' wrote:

Hi, Bosuncat

Hope that this helps.

Douglas.

;)

Hi Doug,

Can you remember what facilities were in the room? was there a kettle/cups tea/coffe/milk, or should we bring out own? and what is the local wine and beer like?!

Cheers

The rooms had TVs (which had BBC World News & CNN) and also a digibox which gave many Italian Channels, air conditioning, telephones and hair dryers. No kettles, tea, coffee, milk etc. If you wanted this you got it from the bar in the main Reception area. Perhaps my memory is playing up, but I seem to think that there was a note about not bringing a kettle in the general tour guidance notes???

The hotel had Moretti beer, which I enjoy - some bars stock this in Edinburgh. The hotel had a good wine list, but I think most of us, who like red wine, chose Chianti. Still and Sparkling water is also available. If you choose a bottle of wine on your first night, and do not drink a bottle a night!!, then they "cork it" after dinner. The next night that you go for dinner, there is a small table and all the bottles of wine have a little metal tag with your room number on it.

Douglas.

;)

Bosuncat
(Member)
Thanks again for all the really useful info. :thumbup:
Bosuncat
(Member)
And here we go! Hoping to meet up with everyone at the airport tomorrow or at the hotel. Safe travels everyone. :thumbup:
Maria_19
(Member)
There have been a couple of comments re tea/coffee making facilities in rooms at Hotel Il Settebello...... it is very unusual to find these in ANY Italian hotel.

I did this tour in June and thoroughly enjoyed it....I would recommend the Elba tour and the Lucca visit especially hiring a bike and cycling around the city walls!

Auntie D
(Member)
'Maria_19' wrote:

There have been a couple of comments re tea/coffee making facilities in rooms at Hotel Il Settebello...... it is very unusual to find these in ANY Italian hotel.

I did this tour in June and thoroughly enjoyed it....I would recommend the Elba tour and the Lucca visit especially hiring a bike and cycling around the city walls!

Hope I'm not too late with the following advice re kettles in the rooms at the hotel.

I did take my travel kettle with me but hid it in the wardrobe each morning, just in case the hotel disapproved. Can't function without my first morning cup of coffee!!

You'll have a great time and thoroughly enjoy the trip, especially with your Tour Manager, Johnathan.

Denise

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
I think travel kettles are banned in some hotels for health and safety reasons. I personally would not take one if it was not allowed.

Regards

Jaya

Bosuncat
(Member)
Just came back yesterday. Have written my review but waiting for it to be moderated. Citrus intolerance was sorted by Jonathan and the restaurant manager very proudly bought me out a tall glass of apple juice for the last 3 mornings. What wonderful people they are. I meant to add we had an terrific thunderstorm in the middle of one night. Wow. I am sure my room rattled!
Tim
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Bosuncat' wrote:

Have written my review but waiting for it to be moderated.

http://www.justyou.co.uk/forum/thread-58711.html 

Thanks,

Tim