JemmaJuly
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Just returned from an excellent holiday, walking in the Altenahr region. We had a really good group of people on this tour, who all mixed well and our Tour Leader, Carol was efficient and made life very easy for us. Luckily the Friday torrential rain stopped overnight and we had fair weather for walking in this beautiful region of Germany. I would certainly recommend this holiday. You need to be reasonably fit as there are quite a few hill climbs but you could opt out and stay in the village and drink the excellent wines, for which the region is famous!
SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi

Thanks for this brief review. I'm on this holiday on 24 May so hope not to have a downpour! Did you upgrade on Eurostar?

Regards

Sylvia

Paul_W
  • (Member)
(Member)
This was a great walking holiday, very well managed by Carol. The local walking guides were very good. It was cooler than expected. I found the walks easy (I am 63 and have not done any serious walking in 2 years.) There were frequent stops for the guides to give information about the sights and history. We went (quite rightly) at the pace of the slowest. The nature reserve walk on day 2 was optional and on day 3 a few took the coach instead of the final optional hour's walk.

The Altenahr hotel was very good. I had one of the new rooms which was comfortable and spacious. Some found the corridors a bit of a maze with poor lighting. I thought the red wine sold in the restaurant was excellent. I enjoyed the wine tasting but the quality of the local wines was not great.

In Ahrweiler I highly recommend the Roemervilla; also the Eifelstube (half way along Ahrhutstrasse - no.26) for a glass of wine - the menu looked excellent, too. There is an internet cafe nearly opposite. We had a very good lunch (despite the initially grumpy waiter) in the Alt-Ahrweiler restaurant just off the Church/market square (Am Markt 24).

In Bad Munstereifel, a lot of us lunched in the excellent Cafe Portz near the end of the walk (Werther Strasse 11) and there is a good bar restaurant further along at no 34, quite near the Werther Tor (gate) close to the station and our coach.

In Cologne there is the great (and expensive) Ustinov's bar in (and outside) the Dom Hotel on the Cathedral platz opposite the Romisch-Germanisches Museum.

Paul

Paul_W
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sylvia

I upgraded on Eurostar (and that includes an upgrade between Cologne and Brussels). When I booked I was told quite a few upgrade, but I was the only one.

(It's Cafe T near the Werther Tor in Bad Munstereifel.)

Regards

Paul

SylviaJ
(Member)
'Paul_W' wrote:

Hi Sylvia

I upgraded on Eurostar (and that includes an upgrade between Cologne and Brussels). When I booked I was told quite a few upgrade, but I was the only one.

(It's Cafe T near the Werther Tor in Bad Munstereifel.)

Regards

Paul

Paul

Thank you so much and for your review which I've printed off to take with me!

Sylvia

JemmaJuly
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'SylviaJ' wrote:

Hi

Thanks for this brief review. I'm on this holiday on 24 May so hope not to have a downpour! Did you upgrade on Eurostar?

Regards

Sylvia

I didn't upgrade but the journey was very comfortable. Take some soap along on your trip. This was not provided in the hotel!

I am sure you will enjoy this holiday - have fun!! We did!

Catherine (JemmaJuly)

Jean89
  • (Member)
(Member)
'JemmaJuly' wrote:

'SylviaJ' wrote:

Hi

Regards

Sylvia

I didn't upgrade but the journey was very comfortable. Take some soap along on your trip. This was not provided in the hotel!

I am sure you will enjoy this holiday - have fun!! We did!

Catherine (JemmaJuly)

Hello Catherine. Enjoyed holiday with you and Rene and others. I think you said you are going to Egypt in September. Have a great time Jean