Lozza
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Can you tell me what optional excursions are available on this tour. I am particularly interested as to whether there is an opportunity to do additional safaris.
Moderator2
(Member)
Good Morning Lozza,

These optional excursions are subject to change;

Battlefields:

Day tour:

Includes: Guided day tour of Isandlwana and Rorkesdrift,Lunch and entrance fees

1 Night Stayover:

Includes: Accommodation, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Guided transfers, Tour of Rorkesdrift and Isandlwana, all entrance fees.

Hluhluwe Big 5 Safari:

1 night Ubizane Tree Lodge,Dinner Bed and Breakfast,1 game drive in Ubizane,2 game drives in Hluhluwe game reserve, guided return transfers.

2 Nights Ubizane Tree Lodge,Dinner ,Bed and Breakfast,2 game drives in Ubizane,2 game drives in Hluhluwe game reserve, guided return transfers.

Day tour:

St. Lucia Wetlands:

2 Nights accommodation in the town of St.Lucia in the Isimangiliso Wetland Park at Lidiko Lodge Bed and Breakfast 1 x hippo and Croc boat tour 1 x full day Eastern shores and Cape Vidal Safari including lunch and entrance fees.

Day Tours:

(All day tours based on a minimum of 4 travellers)

Sani Pass & Lesotho Day tour:

Departs hotel at 5am Returns 6pm

Oribi Gorge Day Tour:

Departs 9am Returns 4pm

Half Day tour:

Mandela Capture Site, Howick Falls and local Markets:

Depart 9am Return 3pm

Tree Top Canopy Tour:

Departs 9am Returns 3pm

City Tour:

Departs 9am Returns 1pm/Departs 12pm Returns 4pm

Cape Vidal and Eastern Shores Reserve:

Departs 6am Returns 6pm

Valley of Thousand Hills and Phezulu Cultural Village:

Departs 9am Returns 1pm/Departs 12.30pm Returns 4.30pm

Kind Regards,

Mildred

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Lozza, these excursions sound amazing!  I did the old South African Explorer tour in 2011 and South Africa is still my favourite country!  I'm sure you will have a fabulous time if you book.  My first ever safari was in Hluhluwe and I'll never forget the excitement when we saw our first elephant!  We also saw a black rhino, which are endangered in the wild.  I have done numerous safaris since and I've never seen a black rhino apart from there.

Cheers,

Bob

Barbzanne
(Member)
Could you indicate the costs of these excursions to assist with calculating spending money needed. Many thanks
Moderator2
(Member)
Good Afternoon Barbzanne,

The excursion costs all depends really on how many you want to do, I recommend you take R2500.00. You can use the ATM, to use a UK Debit card and draw about R1000 per day.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Mildred.

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Wow - these excursions sound amazing. I can do without the Sun and just do all these optional excursions - very tempting indeed.

Regards

Jaya

Jane232
(Member)
'Moderator2' wrote:

Good Afternoon Barbzanne,

The excursion costs all depends really on how many you want to do, I recommend you take R2500.00. You can use the ATM, to use a UK Debit card and draw about R1000 per day.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Mildred.

This is not a very helpful reply when trying to work out if I can afford this holiday. Surely each additional excursion has an individual price and is not dependent on how many you do.

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Jane,

Apologies, here are the optional excursions offered by the Blue Marlin Hotel. Details and prices are for guidance only, and may be subject to change.

SANI PASS AND LESOTHO DAY TOUR approximately 2700 rand per person

Travel in a 4 x 4 vehicle up the mountain pass, driving through Drakensberg National Park. Please remember to take your passport with you, as you'll cross the border into Lesotho to visit a traditional Basotho homestead.

Depart the hotel at 5am and return at 6pm.

ORIBI GORGE DAY TOUR approximately 1100 rand per person

Travel down the south coast and then journey inland to the million-year-old Oribi gorge. Cut by the Umzinkulwana River, this wonder of nature is 27kms long, 400m deep and stretches for 4km at its widest point.

Depart the hotel at 9am and return at 2pm.

HLUHLUWE OVERNIGHT SAFARI approximately 6900 rand per person if sharing, with an 800 rand single supplement

Big 5 safari (2 days/1 night)

Spend a night in Africa’s oldest national park, the Hluhluwe Umfolozi Game Reserve on this thrilling 2-day excursion.

Day1

We'll transfer you to the St Lucia estuary, where you will enjoy a two-hour hippo and crocodile cruise. Afterwards, you can take lunch in the town if you wish (at extra cost) before we head to the Hluhluwe Umfolozi Game Reserve. We'll spend the rest of the afternoon searching for the 'Big 5' as well as all the other wonderful animals in the park.

We'll arrive at the Hilltop camp late afternoon. After time at leisure, your guide will prepare a wonderful South African braai, a traditional barbecue, for you to enjoy. Later you can choose to join an optional night drive with the park rangers.

Day2

Head out with the park rangers for an early-morning game drive. On returning to the camp, enjoy a scrumptious breakfast before checking out.

Thanks,

Vickie

Jane232
(Member)
'Vickie' wrote:

Hi Jane,

Apologies, here are the optional excursions offered by the Blue Marlin Hotel. Details and prices are for guidance only, and may be subject to change.

SANI PASS AND LESOTHO DAY TOUR approximately 2700 rand per person

Travel in a 4 x 4 vehicle up the mountain pass, driving through Drakensberg National Park. Please remember to take your passport with you, as you'll cross the border into Lesotho to visit a traditional Basotho homestead.

Depart the hotel at 5am and return at 6pm.

ORIBI GORGE DAY TOUR approximately 1100 rand per person

Travel down the south coast and then journey inland to the million-year-old Oribi gorge. Cut by the Umzinkulwana River, this wonder of nature is 27kms long, 400m deep and stretches for 4km at its widest point.

Depart the hotel at 9am and return at 2pm.

HLUHLUWE OVERNIGHT SAFARI approximately 6900 rand per person if sharing, with an 800 rand single supplement

Big 5 safari (2 days/1 night)

Spend a night in Africa’s oldest national park, the Hluhluwe Umfolozi Game Reserve on this thrilling 2-day excursion.

Day1

We'll transfer you to the St Lucia estuary, where you will enjoy a two-hour hippo and crocodile cruise. Afterwards, you can take lunch in the town if you wish (at extra cost) before we head to the Hluhluwe Umfolozi Game Reserve. We'll spend the rest of the afternoon searching for the 'Big 5' as well as all the other wonderful animals in the park.

We'll arrive at the Hilltop camp late afternoon. After time at leisure, your guide will prepare a wonderful South African braai, a traditional barbecue, for you to enjoy. Later you can choose to join an optional night drive with the park rangers.

Day2

Head out with the park rangers for an early-morning game drive. On returning to the camp, enjoy a scrumptious breakfast before checking out.

Thanks,

Vickie

Perfect thanks, just what i wanted to know.

Jane

Vickie
(Member)
Jane232
(Member)
'Vickie' wrote:

No problem :)

Vickie I am also looking for reassurance about the standard of the Blue Marlin hotel. I appreciate that Trip Advisor can be a mixed blessing but there seem to be quite a lot of negative reviews. I would want to do the add-on so want somewhere nice.

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Jane,

Overall the hotel scores 4.3 stars / 5 on trip advisor.

Our personal customers wise we have received 20 questionnaires feedback this year, 19 out of 20 rated the accommodation as good or excellent, including some customers who also stayed on for the add on.

2017’s feedback also has the vast majority of our customers rating good or excellent.

I hope that helps to reassure you 🙂

Thanks,

Vickie

Jane232
(Member)
'Vickie' wrote:

Hi Jane,

Overall the hotel scores 4.3 stars / 5 on trip advisor.

Our personal customers wise we have received 20 questionnaires feedback this year, 19 out of 20 rated the accommodation as good or excellent, including some customers who also stayed on for the add on.

2017’s feedback also has the vast majority of our customers rating good or excellent.

I hope that helps to reassure you 🙂

Thanks,

Vickie

Thanks, it is reassuring. Ive only done one holiday with Just You, Spirit of India, last year. It was very enjoyable so happy to travel with you again.

Jane

Jane232
(Member)
Hi again, can you tell me how many people are booked on this holiday for Sept and Oct departures. I think I would prefer October as it will be a bit warmer then. Also how many are booked to do the add-on.
Matt
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jane

At the moment there are 10 people booked on both tours.

Kind regards

Matt

Jane232
(Member)
'Matt' wrote:

Hi Jane

Kind regards

Matt

Thanks Matt. What is the age range and gender mix on both of these, and how many are doing the add-on week?

Jane

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Vickie,

A previous response from JY listing the excursions available on this holiday included a visit to the battlefields of Isandlwana and Rorkes Drift. I’d be very interested in this holiday if there was an opportunity to visit the battlefields, so can you tell me if this excursion is still being offered please?

Also, on JY’s previous reply it suggested that this excursion could be offered either as a day trip or as an overnight stay. Can you confirm please?

If this excursion is still on offer, can you provide some details please? Cost, travel time, included meals and accommodation if done as an overnight stay etc.

Many thanks

Mike

Matt
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jane

There are three men booked in September and two in October, on the add-on there are two people booked at this stage.

Kind regards

Matt

Jane232
(Member)
'Matt' wrote:

Hi Jane

There are three men booked in September and two in October, on the add-on there are two people booked at this stage.

Kind regards

Matt

Thanks. I have actually booked for October this afternoon.

Jane

Jane232
(Member)
'Matt' wrote:

Hi Jane

Kind regards

Matt

Thanks Matt. What is the age range and gender mix on both of these, and how many are doing the add-on week?

Jane