stevep1
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Julia

I have received my new brochures thanks, (Best of Europe & Worldwide, New holidays to Europe & worldwide) I was wondering if these were the only brochures that you were going to produce as..these two new ones don't seem to cover all of JY's holidays.

Also I wanted to get your thoughts on including travel from people's homes  to airports as is included with other companies such as Saga, Titan travel and others which is an incentive to look at these companies especially for customers that live and travel from the North of the country as most of the long haul holidays leave from either Heathrow or Gatwick, and the extra cost of a flight from a northern airport and a night in a hotel can out price the holiday with JY and make you look at other companies 

Regards

Steve

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Steve

I'm delighted to hear that you have received your brochures. These are the only brochures that we produce in September so that the new tours have some breathing room. Our full collection of holidays will next appear end of December/early January.

In terms of including travel into the cost of your holiday, this is something that we have considered and looked into, however at the time the cost was rather substantial and would have to have been passed on to our customers.

I'd be very interested to hear the views of the wider community and we'll certainly share it with the team here at JYHQ.

Kindest regards,

Julia

stevep1
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Julia' wrote:

Hi Steve

I'm delighted to hear that you have received your brochures. These are the only brochures that we produce in September so that the new tours have some breathing room. Our full collection of holidays will next appear end of December/early January.

In terms of including travel into the cost of your holiday, this is something that we have considered and looked into, however at the time the cost was rather substantial and would have to have been passed on to our customers.

I'd be very interested to hear the views of the wider community and we'll certainly share it with the team here at JYHQ.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Hi Julia 

In relation to door to door travel, I travelled to Borneo earlier this year with Saga travel who offer door to door travel and it still worked out cheaper than it would have done booking with JY and as I live in the north and the flight was from Heathrow it was great.

Steve

SarahS
(Member)
I too have used the Saga service. Of course it's included in the overall cost, but even living as I do less than two hours by road from Heathrow and Gatwick, it's very cost effective compared to a using my local taxi firm. The farther away from the London airports you live, the greater the saving! By comparison the JY partner taxi firm's cost are ridiculously high. Twice the price of my local firm.
JR
  • (Member)
(Member)
Further to my post regarding lack of Escape holidays,you asked if there was anywhere in particular I'd like to go.

Yes - France (you used to do 'Postcards from Provence').I did that one & would really like somewhere in that area,

or Italy. Preferably 8 days & contrary to other posts I have read, I live close to Gatwick so only consider flights from there !

I think JY have moved into more exotic holidays & forgotten those of us who prefer to have one base & options of excursions or relaxation.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi I obviously have no objection if a transfer/chauffeur service is offered as an optional extra; however I would object strenuously to it if it were factored into the basic holiday price as I (and many others) would not/could not avail of it.  Most JY customers have no big issue with travelling to London to start their holiday (if a regional departure is not available) - it is an inconvenience but a means to an end!  I do not see why everyone should have to pay for this to be included in the holiday price, as many, if not most, wouldn't use it.

All the best,

Bob

stevep1
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi I obviously have no objection if a transfer/chauffeur service is offered as an optional extra; however I would object strenuously to it if it were factored into the basic holiday price as I (and many others) would not/could not avail of it.  Most JY customers have no big issue with travelling to London to start their holiday (if a regional departure is not available) - it is an inconvenience but a means to an end!  I do not see why everyone should have to pay for this to be included in the holiday price, as many, if not most, wouldn't use it.

All the best,

Bob

Hi Bob 

I understand what you are saying, but don't you think that single supplements are factored into JY hols you have only to check other holiday companies and do a price comparison to see this

Steve

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
I'd been thinking of posting a message regarding a chauffeur service, so here is my opinion. Other contributors have already mentioned that Saga routinely include this in their holiday cost, and I know of at least one another holiday company who do the same.

That being the case, and the fact that many of JY's holiday prices for 2017 have increased considerably compared to 2016 - Ultimate Alaska has increased by £400 - I think it would be a good idea if JY included this service in the new 2017 prices.

Mike

IanWight
(Member)
It could be interesting either, as Bob suggests, being an optional extra or with some element of flexibility built into it.

I, for example, live on the Isle of Wight and for any trip there is the challenge of the Solent to cross each way. It is my choice to live there and am not complaining but I invariably have to factor in the cost of a hotel at the start or end of a trip depending on flight times.

If you get a sea mist etc then this can seriously disrupt the crossing, which stops overnight, so if an early morning crossing is delayed the knock on effect can be a missed flight. Safer therefore to travel to the airport the day before.

Coming back then a delayed flight, baggage delay etc etc could mean that you can't get back before the last crossing of the evening. Safer then to book a hotel & travel back next day.

I am sure there are others with similar timing issues so if there were flexibility to take this into account it would certainly be something to consider.

I did book a taxi from Southampton to Heathrow & back a couple of years ago when I had just recovered from a broken shoulder & did not want to risk further injury. Much more pleasant than the train or coach but it was at a price...

AbbaDave
(Member)
Hi, I agree, I tend to like my own independence and my pre flight treat in a hotel or with a friend overnight, my holiday naturally starts the minute I step out the door or finish work actually and I don't think i'd enjoy a 4 hour drive in a car to Heathrow with a driver I didn't know, what with thinking of things to talk about etc and worrying if they were going to turn up in good time, to be honest this service wouldn't appeal to me neither, also if this wasn't required then I don't suppose any refund would be offered, I also wonder how they could send lets say 20 cars out to all parts of the country and all be there upon our return also, seems a very muddily service to me

best wishes

Dave

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
While on our thoughts

I am sure a while back there was a discussion about a reward system or discount for frequent users or if people booked on our recommendation etc. Is this still being worked on? Or was I dreaming and hoping this.

I to do not want to absorb a proportion of a charge for others to get a taxi ride.

Cindy

IanWight
(Member)
I posted on this earlier about flexibility and have the same views but if something like this was introduced then JY would probably need to factor this into costs somehow.

Using Cuba as an example, where I have travelled often & extensively, then comparing a firm named elsewhere in the thread that offers travel to the airport then whilst they sometimes use the same hotels as JY/TS...

1) In Havana this firm uses a hotel outside Havana in a suburb called Mirimar. There is a free shuttle but no mention of the frequency of this and at best this will be 1/2 hour to the centre or a taxi costing around £10 each way. There is not a lot to do in Mirimar. On the other hand JY uses a hotel right in the centre. Plenty to do & no hidden transfer costs.

2) For Trinidad then JY uses a very nice hotel on the beach. You are a short hop from Trinidad if you want to stay on or even as we did on a TS trip one time pop back into town in the evening. The other company stays in Sancti Spiritus which, on Cuban roads, is about an hour inland and whilst pleasant enough is out in the sticks meaning you are pretty well stuck in the hotel.

I am sure others could make similar comparisons.

Whilst open to some flexibility I would not like to see this at the expense of JY/TS seeking to cover the cost of home to airport transfers by cutting costs elsewhere such as moving to out of town hotels where they have used centrally located ones in the past..

katy1717
(Member)
Would not like to see transport to the airport added, as I assume that would obviously make the holidays cost more.  I can get to Gatwick and Heathrow in about 1.5 hours from where I live by public transport, any travel by road would take a lot longer (especially during rush hour).  But I guess everyone's views on this issue depend on their starting point, times of flight etc.

I did last week book a holiday with another tour group (not the 50+ one) and was offered transport to the airport there and back, within the price.  Its  a 10 day holiday and leaves from Gatwick and returns to Heathrow.  I declined the car trip to Gatwick, as due to the timings it would be travelling to the other side of London during rush hour (I live NE London) and getting to Gatwick is actually pretty easy using public transport for me.  But I did take the return from Heathrow, as the flight gets in early evening and I think the car could be a good option.  Anyway will be interested to see how it works. 

Katy

stevep1
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'katy1717' wrote:

Would not like to see transport to the airport added, as I assume that would obviously make the holidays cost more.  I can get to Gatwick and Heathrow in about 1.5 hours from where I live by public transport, any travel by road would take a lot longer (especially during rush hour).  But I guess everyone's views on this issue depend on their starting point, times of flight etc.

I did last week book a holiday with another tour group (not the 50+ one) and was offered transport to the airport there and back, within the price.  Its  a 10 day holiday and leaves from Gatwick and returns to Heathrow.  I declined the car trip to Gatwick, as due to the timings it would be travelling to the other side of London during rush hour (I live NE London) and getting to Gatwick is actually pretty easy using public transport for me.  But I did take the return from Heathrow, as the flight gets in early evening and I think the car could be a good option.  Anyway will be interested to see how it works. 

Katy

Hi Katy

You are lucky that you live so close to Heathrow & Gatwick so you can plck any holiday, unfortunately for all of us that live north of Watford a additional flight or coach travel and maybe a night in a hotel puts a cost on top of the holiday cost. So included travel would enable us to go on a wide range of tours

Steve