CeeJay
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)

I read that one needs to take sterling cash notes to Cuba and exchange on arrival. Obviously I don't like carrying large amounts of cash.

Three questions: Are Travel Money cards accepted in Cuba? Are there really very few ATMs? Is it possible to advise me on approx. how much money will be needed for the 'Cuba - salsa, cigars and classic cars' holiday? Thank you.[/size]

(Member)
Hi CeeJay,

Sorry for the delay in my response. It is really hard to advise on how much money you should take, as it depends on the individual. You are catered half board throughout the holiday, so it’s only lunches and spending money that you'll need. As a rough guideline, I would recommend a budget of around £30 per day.

ATM’s will be located with the assistance of the Tour Manager and they will help you throughout the tour with regards to changing money. Personally, I would steer away from Travel money cards in Cuba and stick with cash to be on the safe side.

Kindest regards,

Monty

Mick W
(Member)
Having done this holiday i can tell you ATM's are hard to find and it is best to take sterling (or euros if you have any) and maybe card as back up. Most of the hotels will change money for you in very small amounts so we found it best to change as we went.

Dont take American dollars as they put a 10% surcharge on for exchanging them.

On a good note things such as drinks and food are reasonably priced so found it a very cheap holiday when it came to spending.

As Monty has said its mainly half board plus there is 4 all inclusive nights which really helped keep costs down. In fact at the two resorts we arrived early and left in afternoon so gained a couple of lunches, 3 instead of 2 during a two night stay. :thumbup:

Liz P
  • (Member)
(Member)
I was on the Sept Cuba trip and everyone took sterling cash and changed in the hotels. I certainly didn't see any ATMs and the few banks I saw in Havana when I walked around had long queues of locals.

Most of the hotels we stayed in had a safe in the bedroom.