mikethesaint
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Julia,

I am going on the Discover Italy and Croatia holiday on the 9th June. I'm aware that for Italy I will require Euro's but I am getting conflicting information from my bank and friends who have been to Croatia as to what currency I need for there. The bank have told me I can use Euro's but friends who have visited recently used Croatian Kuna and actually found the Euro was not accepted in some places they visited. I'm hoping you may be able to help clarify the situation.

Many thanks

Mike

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mike,

The official currency of Croatia is the Kuna - despite joining the EU last year, Croatia has NOT adopted the Euro as their currency. You may find that you are able to pay for some items in Euros, but as it is not their official currency no business is required to accept them.

Kindest regards,

Julia

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi,

When i went on the Istrian Coast tour, they were certainly not enthusiastic about joining the euro! You can pay for some things in euros but in the smaller places they only take kuna.

Mark

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
Mike,

Euros are accepted at some large places and not a problem at the airport (was in Slovenia last week but flew into Zagreb, Croatia).

However cafes, shops, bars, etc will require Kuna.

Careful not to take too many lots of things are cheaper thante UK.

Mick

DouglasL
(Member)

Hi, Mike

I was in Dubrovnik in September 2012, when my cruise ship stopped there. I used the Kuna for coffee / drinks in the local cafes.

However, being a major tourist destination these days, I would imagine that they might accept Euros in the larger towns as well.

To be safe I would recommend that you take both.

Regards,

Douglas.

:)

mikethesaint
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Julia' wrote:

Hi Mike,

The official currency of Croatia is the Kuna - despite joining the EU last year, Croatia has NOT adopted the Euro as their currency. You may find that you are able to pay for some items in Euros, but as it is not their official currency no business is required to accept them.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Thanks Julia,

It looks like I had better get some Kuna as well to be on the safe side.

Mike

Bosuncat
(Member)
I know they accept Euros at Zagreb Airport at least. 🙂
mikethesaint
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks everybody for the advice and information. I'm certainly glad I asked as my bank where adamant I would be able to use Euro's without any problem. It does make it a bit difficult travelling to 2 countries with different currencies especially not knowing how much I am actually going to need in each. I usually always get too much in any case!! Still there are always ATMs if I get stuck.

Mike

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mike

I have got Kuna for use in Croatia and Euros for Italy.

Jaya

DouglasL
(Member)

Hi,

On my cruise, I had Euros for Venice & Athens, Croatian Kuna for Dubrovnik & Split and Turkish Lira for Izmir.

Took too much of each, but my bank changed back what I had left with no extra charges.

Douglas.:)