sue 47
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I'm booked on the Christmas trip to Lake Como. It's my third time with JY and I've also had several other holidays with the rival company. However, this is my first Christmas holiday and I'm a bit concerned about a possible dress code. Does everyone make a big effort to dress up for the Christmas Eve/Day dinners or is it still the smart casual approach I've experienced on previous holidays ? I'm happy to go along with either but don't want to be the only one in the "wrong" clothes.

Any tips from experienced Christmas holiday makers would be welcome.

Sue

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sue,

I'm sure that some of our other Christmas travellers will share with you tips on how they have dressed in the past or what they are planning on doing this year. I would recommend considering some nice smart trousers/skirt and a nice top/blouse or dress - as it's Christmas you could consider a few sequins or glitter. It isn't a black tie party so a "posh frock" isn't needed.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Auntie D
(Member)
'Julia' wrote:

Hi Sue,

I'm sure that some of our other Christmas travellers will share with you tips on how they have dressed in the past or what they are planning on doing this year. I would recommend considering some nice smart trousers/skirt and a nice top/blouse or dress - as it's Christmas you could consider a few sequins or glitter. It isn't a black tie party so a "posh frock" isn't needed.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Morning Sue 47,

I was on the Lake Como trip last year and had a wonderful time.

Quite agree with Julia's comments regarding the dress code. Most of the time it was smart casual but on Christmas Day, out came the sparkles and sequins!! Be prepared for a long lunch, last year it commenced at 12.00 noon and we left the dining room about 4.00pm!! Eight courses, more like tasters rather than full portions, silver service AND all guests received a Christmas present from the owners.

The hotel is owned by an Englishman and his Italian wife; it was an old family villa which they have spent a fortune refurbishing. You will love it. Take my advice and pay extra for a room with balcony ~~ mine was at the front of the hotel and had a wonderful view of Lake Como.

Just remembered, you should take something warm for the trip to St Moritz.

If you have Richard Lord as your Tour Manager, you will be very lucky. He's great!!!

Any other help I can give, please get in touch.

Best wishes,

Denise

:thumbup::thumbup:

sue 47
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Auntie wrote:

'Julia' wrote:

Hi Sue,

Kindest regards,

Julia

Morning Sue 47,

Quite agree with Julia's comments regarding the dress code. Most of the time it was smart casual but on Christmas Day, out came the sparkles and sequins!! Be prepared for a long lunch, last year it commenced at 12.00 noon and we left the dining room about 4.00pm!! Eight courses, more like tasters rather than full portions, silver service AND all guests received a Christmas present from the owners.

The hotel is owned by an Englishman and his Italian wife; it was an old family villa which they have spent a fortune refurbishing. You will love it. Take my advice and pay extra for a room with balcony ~~ mine was at the front of the hotel and had a wonderful view of Lake Como.

If you have Richard Lord as your Tour Manager, you will be very lucky. He's great!!!

Best wishes,

Denise

Julia and Denise

Thank you for your replies. It all sounds great and I'm really looking forward to it. I've booked a room with lake view and balcony. What was the weather like last year in Italy? Was pretty sure that St. Moritz would be chilly, I lived in Switzerland many years ago. Do we need many Swiss francs ?

Best wishes

Sue

Auntie D
(Member)
'sue wrote:

'Auntie wrote:

'Julia' wrote:

Hi Sue,

Kindest regards,

Julia

Morning Sue 47,

Best wishes,

Denise

Julia and Denise

Thank you for your replies. It all sounds great and I'm really looking forward to it. I've booked a room with lake view and balcony. What was the weather like last year in Italy? Was pretty sure that St. Moritz would be chilly, I lived in Switzerland many years ago. Do we need many Swiss francs ?

Best wishes

Sue

Hi Sue,

When we were in St Moritz, we were able to use Euros, although I think it would perhaps be wiser to use Swiss francs, not knowing what the exchange rate would be on that particular day.

If you do decide to take francs, I would budget for mid-morning coffee, lunch and, of course, the pastries and chocolate!!! plus any mementoes.

I think the coach left the hotel about 6.30 a.m.!!!!!!!!! but entirely well worth the early start.

Re clothing for this trip, I wore a hooded all weather coat and long woolly scarf.

Have fun.

Kind regards,

Denise

;););)