LYNDAKNOBEL
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Ben,

I'm off to South Africa on 22nd November ... can't wait

My travel documents arrived yesterday and it was stated that 5000 Rands is the maximum amount you can take. Last week I ordered about £400 worth of Rands and got 5400 Rands. There was no warning on this website that the limit is 5000. I've looked on a few South Africa websites and they all say the same 5000 but state that this is equivalent to about £440!

Do you know how strictly this rule is enforced, do I need to change 400 Rands back to £'s or hide it in my suitcase!

Ben
  • (Member)
(Member)
Good morning Lynda,

Thanks for getting in touch, please see below the information that you will receive in your final information for your trip.

The national currency of South Africa is the Rand (R). We recommend you take local currency and Pound Sterling travellers’ cheques which can be changed at exchange bureaux. US Dollars are not allowed in South Africa.

MasterCard and Visa are preferred. American Express and Diners Club are also widely accepted. ATMs are available in all towns, cities and shopping malls and most petrol stations, and accept international cards. Almost all hotels, shops and restaurants, and even national parks and game reserves, accept credit cards. They are rarely accepted at petrol stations, however.

Money can be changed at banks, bureaux de change and some hotels. Proof of identity may be requested; therefore, it is advisable to carry a passport. Visitors are restricted to bringing in and taking out a maximum of R5,000 in cash.

I would advise changing 400 Rands back to avoid any problems upon arrival. However as stated above, there are plenty of ATM's so you can withdraw more at any time,

I hope this helps,

Kindest,

Ben

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
HI Lynda, I wouldn't take this as gospel, but none of our group were checked to see how much rand we brought into S Africa, so the chances are you'd be fine. However, if you want to play it safe do as Ben says and change it back (or hide it in your socks or something!!). You will have plenty of opportunity to go to ATM machines while you are there (but always, always go with at least one other person for security reasons as there are scams about!).

Hope you have a wonderful tour, we certainly did!

All the best,

Bob

Julie White
(Member)
Hello Lynda,

I went to South Africa in September and no one in our group was checked. So I agree with Bob that possibly you will ok.

Hope you love South Africa as much as I do.

Best wishes Julie

LYNDAKNOBEL
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'LYNDAKNOBEL' wrote:

Hi Ben,

I'm off to South Africa on 22nd November ... can't wait

My travel documents arrived yesterday and it was stated that 5000 Rands is the maximum amount you can take. Last week I ordered about £400 worth of Rands and got 5400 Rands. There was no warning on this website that the limit is 5000. I've looked on a few South Africa websites and they all say the same 5000 but state that this is equivalent to about £440!

Do you know how strictly this rule is enforced, do I need to change 400 Rands back to £'s or hide it in my suitcase!

Hello Ben,

Thanks very much for your reply

LYNDAKNOBEL
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'BGray' wrote:

HI Lynda, I wouldn't take this as gospel, but none of our group were checked to see how much rand we brought into S Africa, so the chances are you'd be fine. However, if you want to play it safe do as Ben says and change it back (or hide it in your socks or something!!). You will have plenty of opportunity to go to ATM machines while you are there (but always, always go with at least one other person for security reasons as there are scams about!).

Hope you have a wonderful tour, we certainly did!

All the best,

Bob

Hello Bob

LYNDAKNOBEL
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Julie wrote:

Hello Lynda,

I went to South Africa in September and no one in our group was checked. So I agree with Bob that possibly you will ok.

Hope you love South Africa as much as I do.

Best wishes Julie

Hello Julie