annetteb
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi, i'm going on the above trip and would like to know if they use 3 or 2 pin plugs and if its 240v as in the uk. Just need to know if i need an adaptor. Can you also confirm that the hotels all have hairdryers in them. Thanks for your help.
Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Annette

South Africa's voltage is the same as ours but they use plugs with three rounded pins, in the same triangle shape as our own. You'll be able to buy an adaptor in the shops or at the airport. It's sometimes known as a type 'M'.

Your rooms may have a hairdryer but we aren't able to guarantee it. So if having one is very important to you, I would recommend packing a small one in your suitcase.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

janicek
(Member)
Hi,

I bought my plug adaptor in Boots at Heathrow. Hairdriers were in most hotels apart from the one in Swaziland if recall correctly. However I had my own with me which I was glad of as some of them were not very powerful and on one occasion didn't work at all!

Hope this helps. Have a wonderful trip, I have no doubt you will enjoy it as I loved every moment.

Janice

annetteb
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you both for the info on adaptors. I'll get one at heathrow and I'll probably take my own hairdryer.

Annette

annetteb
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Can you advise what the weather/temperature is likely to be for this peiod, I need to have an idea of what kind of clothes to wear. Also if I wanted to book tickets to go to Robben Island when would be the best time to do that, I dont know where abouts on the holiday we'll be near Robben Island. Thanks for your help.

Annette

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Annette,

You’ll be travelling to South Africa in springtime so the weather will be comfortably warm with highs of around 19 degrees. I’d recommend that you take clothes than you can easily layer so that you can add or remove layers depending on the time of day. It’s also worth noting that there is a chance of rain at this time of year so make sure you pack a lightweight waterproof.

You have two options for seeing Robben Island;

1. Visit on Day 3 of your holiday. You would have to miss the optional tour of The Winelands to fit this in.

2. Visit on the afternoon of Day 2, so you can still do the orientation tour of Cape Town. If you prefer this option, please book as late in the afternoon as possible. You would also need to make your own way back to the hotel by taxi for dinner.

I hope this information helps you make your decision.

Kind regards

Julia, your editor

annetteb
(Member) (Topic Starter)