Tracey L
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Anyone else booked on the spirit of India trip on 19th November 2018. ?

Anyone been on this trip before & got any tips/advice?

Regards 

Tracey

Ninny
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Tracey L' wrote:

Regards 

Tracey

Hi Tracey

I’m joining this trip. I’ve never done this trip, in fact I’m new to JY so everything is very new to me. Really exited now it’s so close but also a little nervous ?. 

Looking forward to meeting everyone. Have you been on other JY tours?

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi I did this tour back in 2012 and really enjoyed it.  It's a full-on tour with plenty of early starts and you will see so much!  Go with an open mind and be prepared for crowds, crazy driving, litter, smells and a general assault on the senses!  Make sure you go to your GP before you go, to see what vaccinations you need - they take a couple of weeks to take effect, so book immediately if you haven't done so already!  Bring some Imodium instants, just in case you have a dodgy tummy for a day or two.  Hope you see a tiger!!

All the best,

Bob

Tracey L
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Ninny' wrote:

'Tracey L' wrote:

Regards 

Tracey

Hi Tracey

I’m joining this trip. I’ve never done this trip, in fact I’m new to JY so everything is very new to me. Really exited now it’s so close but also a little nervous ?. 

Looking forward to meeting everyone. Have you been on other JY tours?

I haven’t been on any JY tours before so it will be a first experience for both of us. I look forward to meeting you and the other travellers - I understand there is 26 on this trip. See you at Heathrow ?

Regards

Tracey

Tracey L
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi I did this tour back in 2012 and really enjoyed it.  It's a full-on tour with plenty of early starts and you will see so much!  Go with an open mind and be prepared for crowds, crazy driving, litter, smells and a general assault on the senses!  Make sure you go to your GP before you go, to see what vaccinations you need - they take a couple of weeks to take effect, so book immediately if you haven't done so already!  Bring some Imodium instants, just in case you have a dodgy tummy for a day or two.  Hope you see a tiger!!

All the best,

Bob

Hi Bob

Thanks for the info. Vaccinations all done & will pack the imodium.

Did you find you needed a lot of spending money on this trip - I’m not sure how much to take

Regards

Tracey

HazyJ
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Tracy....I’m booked for trip...got my jabs two weeks ago....looking forward to it...I’ve never been to India before....need to think what I need to pack apart from Imodium  🙂 it’s always hard to know what t9 bring...too much no doubt!!

See you on 19th Nov ...

Hazel

TerryC
(Member)
'Tracey L' wrote:

Regards 

Tracey

Hello Tracey.

I'm booked on this tour. Not long to go now. I've been on a lot of tours in various countries but never India and not with this company before but I here only good things. It'll be an adventure. I've had my jabs so worse is now over.

Terry

folkes.1952
(Member)
I did this trip in 2017. It was exciting and all things others have said , and Yes I did see a tiger close up...wonderful!   The  bit of advice I would give is.. although it is not very flattering and maybe seems a bit  over the top, I would advice when particularly riding through Varinaris on the rickshaw.. wear a surgical mask. I know for us women it's not very flattering and you may feel a bit silly. I went to India very fit and health with no chest problems ever. After a couple of wonderful visits to Varinaris on the same day. One before breakfast watching the sunrise. Then returning by rickshaw driving through the town in the evening. The pollution with everything that is Varinaris is incredible. I could physically feel the dust and particles in the air going down my throat. On the flight back I developed a nasty cough as did a couple of my other traveling companions. Once home I became really unwell and went down with a servere chest infection. It was eventually got under control after taking three different antibiotics. It took me a good couple of months to really recover. I would would got back to India and do the same trip tomorrow given the chance but I would certainly  wear a surgical mask. The sad part is did I actually take a mask and was to  embarrassed to wear it...Stupid vain woman.  Lesson learnt !
Mintychick
(Member)
Hello.  Would be pleased to hear how this tour goes.  Will be booking it myself next year first time I would have done a single holiday although have been to India before x
Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi,

As an alternative to a "mask" in Varanasi (or anywhere where there is pollution) can I recommend "Buff" scarves which can be used for all sorts of occasions. I always wear one on the plane - some airlines spray the plane and also you might have someone next to you coughing and sneezing.

I am about to go to India for the 5th time (not with JY), but I did go on the Spirit of India which is a fantastic trip. As well as Imodium, you will need anti-bacterial gel - you need to use it frequently, especially after handling money, and also wet wipes.

Sorry just seen that you are going today, but hopefully anyone going on this trip for the future will pick this up!

If you go up to the Search button (top RH of this page) and put in "India" and Reviews, you will see a wealth of advice.

You will either love India or hate it - it is not called "Incredible India" for nothing! When I went some years ago on this trip, they did not have the Add-On to Amritsar, so that is where I am going with another company.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils