Jilly Windy Miller
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello fellow travellers,

I am currently debating whether to go to either Japan or West USA  (The National Parks tour) and would appreciate it very much if anyone has been on both tours and could advise which they think is the best.  I have been to China, South Africa and Iceland with Just You and have just enough money for one more long haul trip. Thanks very much.

Susanxyz
(Member)
'Jilly Windy Miller' wrote:

Hello fellow travellers,

I am currently debating whether to go to either Japan or West USA  (The National Parks tour) and would appreciate it very much if anyone has been on both tours and could advise which they think is the best.  I have been to China, South Africa and Iceland with Just You and have just enough money for one more long haul trip. Thanks very much.

Hi Jilly

I have not done Japan but the America tour is great BUT what I would recommend is CUBA. Its such a brill holiday with lots of surprises and you see ALL the country, which you dont do with other tour companies

It may soon be getting more 'Westernised' so now is the time to go.

I have been all over the world and this remains one of my favourite. I can give you more info if you wish

Maybe save up and do the Parks tour in the future when Trump is no longer President !

I am looking at the Baltics tour at the moment as I like going to relatively 'un-westernised' countries

Yours Sue- World Traveller 🙂

DavidG
(Member)
Hello Jilly,

Haven't been to Japan (possibly next year), but the National Parks Tour is very highly recommended. If you enjoy spectacular scenery then this is definitely the one for you. I thought the Grand Canyon was spectacular, but all the others you will see are equally impressive in their own way.

Jilly Windy Miller
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you both for your help, still debating!  Bit concerned about USA as not at all sure what will happen there politically.  I know a few years ago the National Parks were closed due to a dispute between the government and other agencies and would hate to spend the last of my hard earned money to go there and then find there is no access to the parks.
rosehoward
(Member)
I did a national parks USA tour a few years back - it was a much shorter version of the present one - only one week and it was just great.     Bryce Canyon was the highlight for me.    I am booked to go to Japan in October - hope someone else is also going as I havent seen any mention from anyone although it is a long time ahead.

I would say that one is scenery based (although Las Vegas was a cultural shock) and the other is a different culture tour - both interest me.   It would be dependent on your interests and budget too.    If I hadnt been on either and could afford it, I think I would do Japan first in case it doesnt run in the future.     I am sure that a national parks tour would always be in the brochure.    Maybe the lottery or premium bonds will come up for you and you could do both.    Hope we hear what you decide.

Joanio
(Member)
'Susanxyz' wrote:

'Jilly Windy Miller' wrote:

Hello fellow travellers,

Hi Jilly

I have not done Japan but the America tour is great BUT what I would recommend is CUBA. Its such a brill holiday with lots of surprises and you see ALL the country, which you dont do with other tour companies

It may soon be getting more 'Westernised' so now is the time to go.

I have been all over the world and this remains one of my favourite. I can give you more info if you wish

Maybe save up and do the Parks tour in the future when Trump is no longer President !

I am looking at the Baltics tour at the moment as I like going to relatively 'un-westernised' countries

Yours Sue- World Traveller :)

Defiinitely agree Cuba is fab, was there last October and thoroughly enjoyed it, saw so much of the island with JY

PerfectBlue97
(Member)
I did Japan last year, it was fantastic, but not everybody enjoyed the food as it was very heavy on the seas food.

If you're particular about your food the US might be a better bet for you.

Kezzer46
(Member)
Hi Jilly,

The national parks tour is a fantastic trip... and I would highly recommend it. That said having never been to Japan, if you go on his tour I'm hoping you will write a review of your experience. Perhaps you should book both.

Kezzer

Marion F
(Member)
I did Japan last year, and it was wonderful. One of the best holidays I've had. Second only to Australia. The people are so polite and friendly. The toilets are just fantastic! Heated seats, a selection of bidet type sprays, some even play the sound of running water so you are not embarrassed by people hearing you wee! I didn't have any problem with the food, though you certainly become expert with chopsticks. The bullet train was brilliant.

I haven't done the National Parks, but I've heard that some of them are at a high altitude, if that is likely to cause you problems. Have to admit I would be a bit wary of possible political problems in the US, but then you can get that anywhere. I've also heard that Cuba is amazing. I'm sure you'll have a great time whichever you choose.

Marion

Jilly Windy Miller
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you to all for your helpful comments.  I have decided after much thinking and 'research' to opt for the USA so have booked the National Parks tour in September - Donald Trump and Putin permitting! If I come across more of the readies I will perhaps go to Japan in the future.  Having been North (Iceland), East (China), South (South Africa/Zambia) I thought I would round the world off and go West!