tweety55
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
wow! haven't the prices jumped up this year?? getting quite ridiculous some of the prices for holidays this year
Deedah
(Member)
'tweety55' wrote:

wow! haven't the prices jumped up this year?? getting quite ridiculous some of the prices for holidays this year

They are probably trying to recover their losses  now they are in administration.  I suspect they are going to go up even more with less choice soon 😞

sjm533
(Member)
'Deedah' wrote:

'tweety55' wrote:

They are probably trying to recover their losses  now they are in administration.  I suspect they are going to go up even more with less choice soon :(

I have just compared a Swiss tour with JY in July with the one I am going on with another company about the same time.  I admit they are not identical and the one I am on is £60 more, but it is for 8 days, not 6 so the price per day works out £69 per day dearer with JY.  You pay your money and take your choice.

Sylvia

richardc
(Member)
'Deedah' wrote:

'tweety55' wrote:

They are probably trying to recover their losses  now they are in administration.  I suspect they are going to go up even more with less choice soon :(

Firstly JY is not in administration, It was sold before the parent company went into administration because it is profitable.

Secondly, the exchange rate for the pound against most other currencies has gone down since 'Brexit', so £1 doesn't buy as much as it used to. This applies to travel companies in the same way as other businesses. If they don't pass on this extra expense to customers they might well find themselves in financial strife.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi it was inevitable that prices would increase considering the fall in the value of sterling after the Brexit vote unfortunately.  I do think that most, if not all, JY tours represent very good value for money when you consider what is included.  I often compare JY tours with other companies and to be honest it would be hard to beat them for value when you compare like with like.

All the best,

Bob

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello

I totally agree with Bob. Sterling is not doing well at all at the moment and most things have to be paid for in US$ (hotels, transport, excursions etc) so this is bound to have an effect on prices. This is why it is best to book the holidays as soon as you can - i.e. before new brochures come out and prices go up! If the travel companies do not make enough profit, then they will just go under and, may be for selfish reasons, I do not wish for Just You to go down for quite a long time!

Regards

Jaya

magpie10
(Member)
Hi,

I agree, I've just compared Madeira with another company I use and it's nearly £300 more expensive with JY, then when I add train fares and hotel stays it's about £500 more expensive for the week. My main concern would be if anything happened to JY I could still lose around £200 as my train fares and hotel stays wound not be covered by ATOL.

Does anyone know if connecting flights and hotels are booked through JY if they are covered by ATOL? As far as I'm aware they would not be, but I would be glad to be corrected.

Regards

Caroline

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Caroline,

As far as I understand it, ATOL just covers the tour from its point of origin - the departing airport.  Having said that, now that JY and TS have been taken over by G Adventures, they are very secure and are most unlikely to have any problems going forward - their future is more secure than it has been for many years.  Many other companies do not use tour managers, only local guides, or use budget accommodation etc so it can be hard to compare like for like.

All the best,

Bob

magpie10
(Member)
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply, I thought as much, so if anything were to happen I would be out of pocket regarding my connections and hotels. I would book as soon as possible, as Jaya suggested, but then there is even more chance of changes being made nearer the time which may cause connection/hotel rebooking, and extra expense.

It's all very well saying the company is now in a better financial position than it was, but nobody saw this coming (well I certainly didn't), and all those poor people who had their cruises cancelled 3 days before departure obviously didn't either. I've noticed JY have been cutting corners a lot more lately, for example, changing to cheaper Airlines, so it was obviously for this reason. I don't want to see JY go out of business either, but I think JY will still have to stay competitive in the long run.

I am comparing like for like, the company I am referring to use excellent tour guides and hotels, but are not a 'singles' company. I would prefer to use JY and I hope going forward they will be able to offer more departure airport choices, especially for short-haul tours.

Regards

Caroline

SarahS
(Member)
Interestingly  I have discovered another established holiday company is entering the singles market this year.  Their range is limited at the moment, I quess it could be a test of the market. The prices are very competitive,  and the holidays look to be good value. I won't be travelling with them this year as I have already visited the destinations  on offer, but it's  one to watch for the the future.  With singles the fastest  growing  holiday  market,  competition is no bad thing.
badskittler
(Member)
'magpie10' wrote:

Hi,

I agree, I've just compared Madeira with another company I use and it's nearly £300 more expensive with JY, then when I add train fares and hotel stays it's about £500 more expensive for the week. My main concern would be if anything happened to JY I could still lose around £200 as my train fares and hotel stays wound not be covered by ATOL.

Does anyone know if connecting flights and hotels are booked through JY if they are covered by ATOL? As far as I'm aware they would not be, but I would be glad to be corrected.

Regards

Caroline

badskittler
(Member)
'magpie10' wrote:

Hi,

Regards

Caroline

You train fares and hotel stays, if not refundable, should be covered by your travel insurance.

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Caroline

I am sure your holiday insurance would cover the train and hotel costs in case of a holiday being cancelled or if you pay for these with a credit card then the card company will cover your losses. Taking risks is almost a norm. If one did not take risks then life would certainly be a bit boring! I looked at another holiday company recommended to me by a former Just You traveller, but most of the excursions were optional plus not many meals were included. The only good thing was they provided door to door transport to and from the airport, which is a big plus. Mind you, so far I have not been tempted to book with any other company and my preference is to stick with Just You as I have faith in them.

Kind regards

Jaya

stu151
(Member)
Hi Jaya

Credit card companies will protect you in the case of fraud, or if the company you deal with goes out of business. I think that in the situation discussed above, they would say this was a case of you buying something you no longer want because you have changed your plans, and there would be no refund.

Travel insurance may well cover you for such a situation, but it would be subject to an excess (often £200, so you may well get very little back). Also as with any insurance, the fact that you have made a claim would be recorded on the database shared by all insurance companies, and may well affect your premium in future.

As you say doing anything involves a chance of losing money, and booking a holiday is no different. It's possible to be protected to some extent, but you have to accept that there is a risk.

Stuart

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Stu

Thanks for the information. I thought if the holiday was cancelled due to no fault of yours then credit card companies would be able to refund you - I was told that if you pay for a holiday with your credit card then you have some protection. Maybe I was given the wrong information.

Jaya

LizC
  • (Member)
(Member)
Why have Just You's prices increased so much when the sister Company Travelsphere have reduced the cost of some of their trips??
BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Liz,

My take on this is that Travelsphere have also increased their costs on many tours as well - however, they are able to offer some early booking discounts etc on some tours, which JY can't/don't do.  I think that is the difference.  As I understand it, JY often have a hard time striking deals with hotels for single occupancy so there is less/no room for any kind of discount/promotional offers unfortunately.

All the best,

Bob

LizC
  • (Member)
(Member)
Why is Just You's prices going up while a similar holiday with their "sister" Company Travelsphere has reduced prices? I did a comparison with similar trips to the Amalfi Coast. Brexit cannot be blamed for the amount of increases.
BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Liz,

Did you actually read my reply?

Best wishes,

Bob

Kezzer46
(Member)
If you look around at any of the other companies offering holidays for single travellers, you will find the majority have put their prices up. However, depending on what type of travel insurance you get - this will also cover you in case anything happens to your holiday.

Travel for single travellers has always been expensive but you get what you pay for...