gail@gribdale.net
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi All - I'm on the trip to Pompeii on 28th September and am struggling to decide what clothes to take as I'm not sure what the waether will be like. Any ideas?

Also, going on the Vesuvius excursion and wondering if it would be advisable to take my walking boots or if trainers will be OK?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Gail

If you put 'Pompeii' into the search function at the top right hand of the page, you will find several reviews (including mine) of this trip and loads of tips that will help you out.

The weather seems to be very much the luck of the draw. My departure was 15th September and we had a week of glorious sunshine and very hot temperatures. However, the group who went the following week had rain on most days. What I would say is that, when it's hot - it's very hot and there is little shade (especially in the ruins of Pompeii itself). Take a hat, loads of sunscreen and always carry a bottle of water. The ground is also very uneven so take really comfy walking shoes.

As for Vesuvius, you get dropped off about two thirds of the way up to the top by an off road vehicle, and then the hike the rest of the way via a zig zag cinder path which can be quite loose in places, especially if they have had recent rain. You could take walking boots but most of my group did the climb in trainers.

Have a super time

Mandy

Melissa Waldron
(Member)
I was there in late June. Great hotel. Pompeii is very uneven. Versuvius walking boots are a good idea if it's not too warm. Not sure what your weather will be like.
SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi Gail

I visited Pompeii and Vesuvius in the month of June a few years ago.  The weather was really really hot at both places.  As Mandy says, there is no shade in Pompeii.  The same for Vesuvius.  Walking boots or trainers will be fine for Vesuvius, but do not take sandals as the stones get in the toes!

I visited Sicily in early October a few years back and the weather there was just as hot.  On visiting Mt Etna, at the top, it was snowing and so cold and windy.....

The best thing to do is follow the weather forecast leading up to your trip and pack accordingly.

Have a great time.

Sylvia

SarahS
(Member)
I did this trip the first week in October  last year. The weather was certainly mixed. Scorching sun for our visit to Pompeii ruins,  drizzle on Capri, a deluge followed by a thunderstorm in Herculaneum. The rest of the week was warm and sunny.  Comfortable walking shoes, layers and a lightweight waterproof should cover all the bases weather wise.  It's a really great trip, one I would thoroughly recommend.  Have a great time.
SamanthaC
(Member)
I always carry an umbrella - for shade when it's hot, and shelter when it's wet. 

Worst possible scenario for my trip to Cliento on 25th September - I'm on a series of anti-biotic treatments and I'll be on the one that won't let me out in the sun and won't let me drink alcohol. No Prosecco or lying by the pool 😞

gail@gribdale.net
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for all the advice.

Gail