JeannieDee
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Could you please advise of the numbers going on this trip, the gender mix and age range please. Many thanks.
Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi JeannieDee

At the moment there are 8 travellers booked on this date - 3 men, 5 women with ages from mid-50s through to late-70s.

As there is still quite some time between now and when you depart, please feel free to ask for an update closer to departure.

Kindest regards,

Julia

JeannieDee
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you for that information, have the numbers/gender/age range changed since then ? I was also wondering roughly how long the coach journey between each destination is.
Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi JeannieDee,

There are now 11 travellers booked on this date with the group made up of 5 men and 6 women aged from early-50s through to early-80s.

In terms of the coach journeys, our overseas partner has advised the following:

Athens to Epidaurus around 2 ½ hours

Epidaurus to Nafplio around ½ hour

Nafplio to Mycenae around 2 ½ - 3 hours

Olympia – Nafpaktos around 2 hours

Nafpaktos – Ano Chora around 1 ½ hours

Nafpaktos – Diakofto around 1 ½ hours

Kalavryta – Nafpaktos around 2 hours

Nafpaktos – Delphi around 1 ½ hours

Delphi – Athens around 3 or 3 ½ hours since they have a short stop to Arachova.

Please note these are provisional times and local conditions may effect these.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Grecos
(Member)
Julia,

Check the times for Nafplio to Mycaenae....it is only about 30 Km & most certainly doesn't take 2 to 3 hours!

Sheila  (from Athens) :rolleyes:

sue1305
(Member)
Hi JeannieDee

I was on this trip in May. The coach journeys are quite long between sites but do not let that put you off. The amount of places you see in the tour absolutely makes up for it. Stunning views and sites to see. The second and third hotels are lovely and well run, with magnificent food at the third. All the trips are well organised.

I took a kindle and a small mp3 player with me for the long journeys and the time seemed to pass pretty quickly.

You quickly realise the vast distances you are covering when you look at a map.

The longest travel day is between leaving Athens and getting to Olympia that evening (via Epidauras and Mycenae)

If there is anything else that you would like to know then don't hesitate to ask.

Regards

Sue

JeannieDee
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Sue

Thank you for your response. My mind had strayed to the Rome and Sorrento trip but I'm leaning back towards the Athens trip. The itinerary mentions the Parthenon but doesn't explicitly state that there is a visit. Can you confirm this please ? Also, did you book all of the optional excursions ?

JD

BelindaB
(Member)
Hi JeannieDee,

You and I obviously have similar tastes as I have been looking at both Rome & Sorrento and the Athens trip, and like you I am edging towards Athens on 19th September. I looked at this one last year but was put off by the reviews of the hotel in Athens, but Just You have changed hotels so hopefully will be better this year. I may well take the plunge and book it today. Will book all the optional excursions too and resign myself to a lot of coach rides!

Let me know if you book it!

BelindaB

BelindaB
(Member)
'Julia' wrote:

Hi JeannieDee,

There are now 11 travellers booked on this date with the group made up of 5 men and 6 women aged from early-50s through to early-80s.

In terms of the coach journeys, our overseas partner has advised the following:

Athens to Epidaurus around 2 ½ hours

Epidaurus to Nafplio around ½ hour

Nafplio to Mycenae around 2 ½ - 3 hours

Olympia – Nafpaktos around 2 hours

Nafpaktos – Ano Chora around 1 ½ hours

Nafpaktos – Diakofto around 1 ½ hours

Kalavryta – Nafpaktos around 2 hours

Nafpaktos – Delphi around 1 ½ hours

Delphi – Athens around 3 or 3 ½ hours since they have a short stop to Arachova.

Please note these are provisional times and local conditions may effect these.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Hi Julia, Is this trip cleared to go ahead on 19th September?  Please can you tell me how many are booked and the maximum number for this trip? Thank you.

sue1305
(Member)
Hi JeannieDee

Yes you visit the parthenon on day 2 (first full day) while on the city tour which is included. You also visit the acropolis museum and the panathenaic stadium where the 1896 olympics were.

I did indeed do all of the optional excursions which were all well organised and interesting.

The hotel titania in athens has a rooftop bar which has a wonderful view of the acropolis and parthenon which are lit at night.

When I was there in may they were doing work on the parthenon and had cranes that made the view in daylight a little disappointing from a distance.

This is a great holiday if you like your history. It sounds like you do as you mentioned the Rome and Sorrento trip. I also did Pompeii, Sorrento and the bay of Naples last year.

I highly recommend the Athens tour and really enjoyed it.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards

Sue

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi BelindaB,

Yes, this tour has been cleared to operate. There are currently 13 travellers confirmed, with another 2 provisionally booked. We can take up to 35 travellers on this date.

Kindest regards,

Julia

JeannieDee
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Julia' wrote:

Hi BelindaB,

Yes, this tour has been cleared to operate. There are currently 13 travellers confirmed, with another 2 provisionally booked. We can take up to 35 travellers on this date.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Hi

As the tour draws closer, please could you confirm the number of travellers, ages and gender mix please? 

Thanks

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi JeannieDee,

There are 16 confirmed travellers on this date with the group made up of 6 men and 10 women and ages ranging from mid-50s through to early 80s.

There are an additional two travellers who are provisionally booked so this group size may still increase before you depart.

Kindest regards,

Julia

JeannieDee
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you. I have just recently heard that the museum workers who are employed at the archaeological sights visited on the tour, are striking not working at the weekend or on bank holidays. I would hate to book and this be the case, although looking at the itinerary, such visits fall on weekdays. I obviously understand that unforeseen events can always happen but I just wondered if you could confirm my understanding of the current situation ? I look forward to hearing from you.
JeannieDee
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you. I might also mention that there has been a strike by museum workers at the sites visited during the tour. It does state that this has been at weekends and on bank holidays. Looking at the itinerary, the visits on the tour fall on weekdays I believe. Whilst I obviously understand that unexpected events may happen, could you please advise on your understanding of the current situation. 

Could you also provide flight times for the 19th September trip please. 

Many thanks

JeannieDee
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi can you just confirm you received my message about the strikes by museum workers in Greece ? Thanks
JeannieDee
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi

Can you please confirm if the strikes by museum workers are still taking place and whether they would affect the sites visited on the 19th September tour? Could you please also confirm flight times. 

Many thanks.

(Member)
Hi JeannieDee,

First of all apologies for the delay.

Our colleagues in the Creators team have been liaising with the local agents and they confirmed that currently they haven’t heard of possible strikes of the employees working at museums and archaeological sites.

Kind regards,

Elisa

BelindaB
(Member)
Hi Julia, I am booked on this trip and have a question about luggage. On the coach transfers between hotels will there be room in the luggage compartment for flight bags as well as suitcases, or will these have to be left in the passenger compartment when we visit places en route?

Thanks

(Member)
Hi BelindaB,

All bags can be put in the luggage hold during transfers between destinations.

Kind regards,

Elisa