Karen1405
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I have recently booked my first Just You holiday to Iceland departing on 20 March. I am excited and nervous in equal measures!

It would be lovely to hear from anyone else joining this trip.

Katewa24
(Member)
'Karen1405' wrote:

I have recently booked my first Just You holiday to Iceland departing on 20 March. I am excited and nervous in equal measures!

Hi Karen, I'm Kate, I'm booked on this trip too. Its my third Just You break and I've enjoyed the others so far. I am really looking forward to Iceland as I think it will be such a great experience. Be nice to meet you. 🙂

Karen1405
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Katewa24' wrote:

'Karen1405' wrote:

Hi Karen, I'm Kate, I'm booked on this trip too. Its my third Just You break and I've enjoyed the others so far. I am really looking forward to Iceland as I think it will be such a great experience. Be nice to meet you. :)

Hi Kate. Good to hear from you and that you are on your third JY holiday which is a great endorsement. Looking forward to meeting you in March

Karen1405
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello Kate. It is good to hear from you and that thus is your 3rd JY holiday which is a very positive endorsement. Everyone I know who has been to Iceland say it is a fabulous place to visit and I am really looking forward to visiting somewhere quite different.

I look forward to meeting you in March. Karen

LizB13
(Member)
This is also going to be my first JY holiday and I'm looking forward to seeing Iceland for the first time.

I'm just organising my car parking and have decided to do an overnight stay in a nearby hotel, so if anyone else is doing the same and would like to meet up for supper on Saturday evening, please let me know.

I've read references to helpful hints for this (and other) holiday(s), but haven't located them yet. Any suggestions (apart from thermals and good hiking boots)?

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Liz

I did this trip this time last year - You'll have a blast.

If you type 'Iceland' into the search function on the top right hand of the page, you'll find all the threads containing reviews, hints and tips, including those from myself and the JY Iceland Class of March 2015 including SallyC, MikeW and Bob Gray.

My main tips would be to take Yaktrax or similar to pop on to your boots because it can get really slippy underfoot, especially on the Golden Circle trip (an absolute must!). Don't bother taking a brolly because you'll never keep it up and you'll just get distainful looks from the locals. But do take some thick gloves and a scarf or balaclava as the wind can be really biting, especially if you are out in the middle of the night Northern Lights spotting.

Finally, keep all of your till receipts because you will be able to reclaim the tax you have paid at the airport. Shops will give you an envelope to put them in which has the instructions on it about making a claim and the counter at the airport is well sign posted.

Happy to help if you have any other questions

Have an amazing trip

Mandy

LizB13
(Member)
Many thanks Mandy, some very helpful tips!

I've already got some Yaktrax, and I've got ski gloves and a half-face 'hannibal' mask which I bought when skiing many years ago which will serve in place of a balaclava I think. I wasn't aware of the tax reclaim option, so now I'll be prepared!

Thanks again :thumbup: