jayli
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Bob

Me too - can't wait for this wonderful holiday. I know for sure we are going to have a fantastic time. I am looking forward to see how much Singapore has changed since I was last there quite a few years ago. My friend did tell me that the hotel we are meant to stay in is not near any Metro station. Apparently travelling by Metro is the best choice! We did travel on one whilst we were there.

Jaya

Hello again Jaya

Yes, I think it has changed a lot, not least because of all the building work.

I didn't get time to go and view our hotel (the Furama City Centre, part of the 'Furama' chain), although my hotel was not too far away - but it is situated mid-way between the Clarke Quay and Chinatown MRT (underground) stations, so about 5-10 minutes' walk from either, and not far from Chinatown. Not too bad, except that a lot of walking in Singapore's heat and humidity will take its toll.

Use of the MRT and linked bus routes is definitely the best way to get around. The whole system is modern, air conditioned (buses as well) and a joy to use - at least, for this ex-Londoner brought up on the Underground and LT buses! It has everything that London should have if only it could be closed down for a year for modernisation: frequent trains, clear signage in four languages, announcements in perfectly enunciated English (better than one hears nowadays in London), polite passengers (no pushing and shoving, even in the rush hours), no long, narrow corridors at interchange stations, safety features such as a barrier along the length of each platform with doors at regular intervals which are aligned with the train doors (like the shuttle trains at LHR Terminal 5), so no bodies on the track - and a comprehensible layout with each line having useful names and having its ends indicated by both station names and numbers to make it easy to travel in the right direction. Payment on trains and buses is by means of an electronic stored-value card similar to London's Oyster card, purchased at the airport on arrival and easily topped-up (in any of four languages) at any MRT station.

The only snag is that the trains stop running at about 23:45 - and promptly! I was caught by this when returning from the Night Safari, when my train stopped at a station in the middle of nowhere, leaving me stranded. Fortunately, the station staff were very helpful, and they directed me (in good English) to a late (midnight) bus to within ten minutes' walk of my hotel (there were no taxis there), but it was a bit scary at the time.

Still, travel was very enjoyable, and I can't wait to get back and experience it again!

Jim

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jim,

Many thanks for all this info and I'm delighted I'll be in such experienced company in Singapore. The Gardens by the Bay and Zoo experiences sound absolutely wonderful and right up my street.

Looking forward to meeting you next May!

Cheers,

Bob

jayli
  • (Member)
(Member)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for all this info and I'm delighted I'll be in such experienced company in Singapore. The Gardens by the Bay and Zoo experiences sound absolutely wonderful and right up my street.

Cheers,

Bob

'BGray' wrote:

Hi Jim,

Cheers,

Bob

Hello Bob,

Glad you found it useful: I'll try to post a more comprehensive (p)review with some photos next week.

If you are a keen photographer, then save an SD card or two for the last three days . . .

Looking forward to meeting you too!

Best wishes

Jim

1981Kedi
(Member)
Just to let you know that there is a TV program shot in Borneo showing on BBC 2 at 16.30 to 17.15 on Friday 23 October 2015 (originally shown in 2013). It is part of the BBCs Natural World Series, entitled " Orangutans: The Great Ape Escape " and deals with the rehabilitation of Orangutans to the wild. Some of the still photographs taken during the production of this documentary are amazing, so I am sure the film will be fascinating.
Dina
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Jaya, Jim and Bob

I, too, was in Singapore in 2002. It was a 3 night add-on when we went on a TS Australian tour. We saw loads of things there with our Singaporean friends who became our honorary tour guides. I am looking forward to seeing my friends again!

In 2002 I really enjoyed Sentosa Island, as Jim says, it would be worth going over purely because of the cable car to get there. We also did the Night Safari because back in those days, I hadn't been on a proper safari.A gin sling in the Long Bar at Raffles is probably a cert. Even in 2002 we only had one of these because they were the equivalent of £8.00!!

I have heard so much about the Marina Sands Hotel, with it's Sampans. Could it have been modelled on the Venetian a t Las Vegas, I wonder. I understand from my Singaporean friends that the locals have to pay to go inside the hotel, don't know how true it is.

This is one holiday that I may need an escape holiday after to get over the busy schedule.

Kind regards

Di

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Kedi and Di, thanks for your posts - I'll keep an eye out for the programme. With each new snippet of info for this tour whether it be for Borneo or Singapore, I keep on getting more excited!

Cheers,

Bob

AbbaDave
(Member)
Hi all

wow what a fantastic treat we are in for on this adventure and then just as it draws to a close we hop off in Singapore, I stayed at the Furama hotel now named Furama City Hotel around 20 years ago, it was pretty much close to everything, the MRT was close by and easy to use handy for Orchard Road the zoo etc, mixed reviews on Trip Advisor though I generally use TA for tips on what's near by and how to get to places etc rather than taking note of any negative comments about the hotel as at the end of the day we are only in it to sleep really

I too are keen on the night safari/zoo, gardens by the bay, sentosa and the Marina Sands hotel, hopefully our included city tour will take us to Raffles for a Singapore sling, oh gosh how we gonna fit all this in but we not flying home till quite late so some of the more local sights can be done then, was also thinking if they gave us our city tour when we arrive that'll free up two full days and a good chunk of our going home day, there are a few good heads in our group I see who'll move us forward and I cannot wait

look forward to meeting you all next May

best Regards

Dave

Julie White
(Member)
'1981Kedi' wrote:

Just to let you know that there is a TV program shot in Borneo showing on BBC 2 at 16.30 to 17.15 on Friday 23 October 2015 (originally shown in 2013). It is part of the BBCs Natural World Series, entitled " Orangutans: The Great Ape Escape " and deals with the rehabilitation of Orangutans to the wild. Some of the still photographs taken during the production of this documentary are amazing, so I am sure the film will be fascinating.

Thanks Kedi,

I will definitely watch it on Friday

Regards Julie

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jim

It seems that you are very familiar with Singapore so we will follow you! There is a lot to pack in the 2 days we have there so we will have to plan the itinerary well. I have not yet been to Raffles Hotel so it will be an experience in itself if we do get a chance to go there. At least you will not be stranded on your own if we all go to the night safari! We went on a coach as we had joined other tourists so this is a possibility to look at instead of us all getting stranded. I am looking forward to the adventure in Singapore!

Jaya

jayli
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Di

> A gin sling in the Long Bar at Raffles is probably a cert. Even in 2002 we only had one of these because they were the equivalent of £8.00!!

Last week quite ordinary restaurants were charging S$18 (about £9) for a glass, so I shudder to think how much a glass in Raffles would have cost . . .

Similarly for the famous "chilli crab" (when this was not just shown as "seasonal pricing" on menus) . . . .

> I have heard so much about the Marina Sands Hotel, with it's Sampans. Could it have been modelled on the Venetian a t Las Vegas, I wonder.

I think the canal in The "Shoppes", with the sampans, is modelled on the 'Venetian'. At any rate, Sands is a Las Vegas company.

Marina Bay Sands is an amazing construction, both inside and outside - but, although I had six full days in SIngapore, I never had time to do more than pass through it. Plans for the first evening next May include ascending to the "Skypark" to admire the view at sunset.

> This is one holiday that I may need an escape holiday after to get over the busy schedule

Oh yes - and in SIngapore one will need to be very focused indeed. There is so much to see here, I am surprised that it is not marketed as a full-week "city break" rather than just as a two- or three-day stopover (except perhaps for Australians). An opportunity for JY here??

Jim

jayli
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Jim

. . . At least you will not be stranded on your own if we all go to the night safari! We went on a coach as we had joined other tourists so this is a possibility to look at instead of us all getting stranded. I am looking forward to the adventure in Singapore!

Jaya

Hello Jaya

Yes, I discovered afterwards that there is a "Safari Gate City Express" which goes to and from both the Zoo and the Night Safari (NS).

But the real problem was that, because of the crowds, entry to the NS is phased: I did not get there until 17:30, intending to eat first then enter at 19:00 - but I was already too late and could only enter at 20:15 so, by the time I had been on the tram ride and walked two of the four "trails", it was getting late. There is so much here that one needs to either book in advance or go to the Zoo in the early morning and purchase a combined ticket including the NS on the same day.

I am certainly looking forward to a repeat visit!

Jim

Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Jim

I didn't realize that the Sands was a Las Vegas company,

The gin sling prices in Raffles must have gone through the roof then.

There is certainly opportunity, as you say, for JY to make Singapore a holiday perhaps in it's own right , but as it is long distance, have an add-on to a beach resort somewhere.

Perhaps, because I have been to S'Pore, I am focusing on it more than the actual Wild Borneo main tour. I am so looking forward to seeing orang utans again. I saw them on a conservation island in Malaysia when I did the old JY Malaysian holiday in 2010.

Regards Di

Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Jaya

What was that you said about following Jim!!!

He will certainly know his way around Singapore after being there again the other week.

Best wishes and see you in May

Di

(Member)
Hi All,

I am glad to see that you're so enthusiastic about this tour!! I have passed on Jim's comment of making Singapore a tour of it's own, and I am proud to say that this is already on our Holiday Creator's radar and you may see something for 2017...so watch this space.

Kindest regards,

Monty

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
By the way everyone - when I was in Singapore years ago, you could have 'breakfast with the orangutans' at the Zoo, which we did. They bring out 2-3 Orangutans who feast on a variety of fruit whilst you have your breakfast and you can have photos taken with them if you wish. Not sure how we are going to fit everything in, but I am sure we are going to try anyway. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Jaya

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
I think you will all need a relaxing holiday when you return....

Cindy