Hils
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Good afternoon all,

I am having a hip operation in a couple of weeks (help!) and for the first time in 10 years have been unable to pre-book a JY holiday this year, which is driving me bonkers! I have done 14 JY tours - both long haul and short haul. I probably won't be able to do long haul until next year - Namibia, Burma, Kerala are on the list - so looks as though it might have to be short haul between September - December.

Has anyone got any ideas on where I could go that doesn't involve too much walking or climbing! I know quite a few holidays now stipulate that they are not suitable for people with mobility problems (hopefully I won't have any of those by September!).

One of the questions I will be asking my consultant is "will I ever be able to sit astride an elephant again"?!!

Cheers,

Hils

1981Kedi
(Member)
Will be thinking of you! :thumbup:
BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Hils,

I hope everything goes well for your hip op and you are taking a JY holiday again before you know it! I'm afraid I can't make too many suggestions for a short haul holiday, as you know I've mainly done long haul with JY and although I had the most amazing time in Iceland I wouldn't recommend it for you in November in case you go sliding on the ice! I suppose any of the Escape holidays would probably suit you as you could be as active as you wanted to be - the only one I've done is Andalucia which I wouldn't recommend from your point of view as a number of the villages and towns visited are on slopes and there was quite a lot of walking involved. The Greece or Lisbon trips sound good, although I haven't done either of them. I wonder what tips other forum folks will come up with? Sorry I haven't been much help!

Take care and wishing you a successful operation and speedy recovery. Here's hoping you'll be astride an elephant again in Kerala in a year or so's time!

Cheers,

Bob

Julie White
(Member)
Hello Hils my (Calm Air pal)

I wondered what had happened to you as I haven't seen you on the community for a while.

I hope you are ok? Hopefully it will heal quickly and you can jet off on another long haul trip soon.

If it is a relaxing holiday you want, how about Costa de la Luz. You can relax by the pool and soak up the rays and possibly do a few of the excursions. I haven't been myself but a lot of people on the community seem to enjoy it.

As for next year I have been to Kerala and its a lovely destination, you must go. You get the chance to ride an elephant so double check with your consultant that it will be ok.

Namibia is on my must do list for next year. It will be an amazing experience and one I am really looking forward to.

You have great taste in holidays as Burma is also on my bucket list for the future.

Take care Hils

Warm regards

Julie

lesley07
(Member)
Hi Hils

Hope your op goes well and that you are soon back to normal. I agree with Julie that Costa de la Luz may be a good option for you particularly ,if I remember correctly, you like me you live in Scotland. This trip is available from Edinburgh on various dates in September/ October. I have been to various parts of Italy and would recommend any of the JY holidays although have only done their Apulia trip. I am off to Kerala in September. Will let you know how this goes

Regards

Lesley

Toni2909
(Member)
Hi Hils

What about the Cilento Coast trip? I am booked in for the departure on May 31st. It looks to be a very relaxing holiday, based in a good hotel which has some excellent reviews, plus it has a new spa I think.

Toni

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

Short hails I have done, AustriaLakes , (a different hotel is now used) highlights of Tuscany, Poland and Tatra Mountains ( not available now), I would say Austrian Lakes would be easyier on the legs out of those two.

Good luck with the op and recovery

Cindy

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Hils,

Good luck with the op. One of my colleagues went to Bulgaria a few years back and had a wonderful lazy holiday in the sun. I guess they have deleted that tour as I am unable to find it in the latest brochure 😞 I have now been on 5 trips with another two booked for May and October. They have certainly involved a lot of walking and climbing so not for you.

If you are flying, choose the correct seat as I have seen many dislocations of hips just by doing something silly.

Jan

chrisc
(Member)
There are lots of short hauls to choose from so I am confident you will find something for this year. I write as someone who has had both hips replaced successfully in the last few years. I was extremely pleased with myself when I was able to ride a horse for the first time ever on a Texas ranch with Just You last year so I don't see a problem with elephants! For me the key to a successful recovery was doing the physio afterwards - to the letter (no slacking!). I hope everything goes well for you. Very best wishes.
Bosuncat
(Member)
Hi Hils. I agree as far as Costa de la Luz is concerned. Very easy going and the trips are okay on the legs and hips!

I'm off to Istrian Coast in September (16th) flat walking on the Lungomare there which is why I have booked it. :thumbup:

Hope everything goes well for you!

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Hils

Good luck with your op and wish you a very speedy recovery. I am sure that you will be up and running very soon! Costa de la Luz is a nice relaxing holiday and I am sure you will enjoy it. All the best.

Jaya

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Hils,

Sorry to hear about your hip!

I would assume that a short haul holiday with limited physical activity would be ideal at this point. I have heard the Austrian Lakes tour is not particularly intense, despite being a hilly region. Hils, do you have a holiday in the uK in mind?

Mark

Hils
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'marks' wrote:

Hi Hils,

Sorry to hear about your hip!

I would assume that a short haul holiday with limited physical activity would be ideal at this point. I have heard the Austrian Lakes tour is not particularly intense, despite being a hilly region. Hils, do you have a holiday in the uK in mind?

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. I have been to Austria but it is one to consider. I don't holiday in the UK as I live in one of the most beautiful parts of it - the Trossachs in Scotland - up the road from Loch Lomond! I've also lived all over the UK, so if I do "come down the road" it is normally to visit friends.

Cheers,

Hils

Hils
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'chrisc' wrote:

There are lots of short hauls to choose from so I am confident you will find something for this year. I write as someone who has had both hips replaced successfully in the last few years. I was extremely pleased with myself when I was able to ride a horse for the first time ever on a Texas ranch with Just You last year so I don't see a problem with elephants! For me the key to a successful recovery was doing the physio afterwards - to the letter (no slacking!). I hope everything goes well for you. Very best wishes.

Hi,

Thanks so much for your encouragement! I like horses, but I like elephants better!! How long ago did you have your hips done, so that it will give me an idea of when I will be more flexible?!

Cheers,

Hils

chrisc
(Member)
Hi

I have had to check my records, and apparently I had the first one done in August 07 and the other one in April 08. I hadn't realised it was so long ago and I can honestly say I have never looked back. I suspect recovery times vary as we are all individuals. I was told not to attempt to drive for six weeks I think, so that was an incentive to work on the physio to get my independence back. After that my confidence grew and over a period of weeks I was gradually able to walk further and further, discarding one crutch and then both. Also medical advances are happening all the time making procedures more routine so things are likely to be even better now. I am sure your doctor will be happy to advise on what you can expect to be able to do and when. It would be nice to know how you get on if you would like to keep in touch. ~All the best, Chris

Hils
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'chrisc' wrote:

Hi

I have had to check my records, and apparently I had the first one done in August 07 and the other one in April 08. I hadn't realised it was so long ago and I can honestly say I have never looked back. I suspect recovery times vary as we are all individuals. I was told not to attempt to drive for six weeks I think, so that was an incentive to work on the physio to get my independence back. After that my confidence grew and over a period of weeks I was gradually able to walk further and further, discarding one crutch and then both. Also medical advances are happening all the time making procedures more routine so things are likely to be even better now. I am sure your doctor will be happy to advise on what you can expect to be able to do and when. It would be nice to know how you get on if you would like to keep in touch. ~All the best, Chris

Hi Chris,

Op all went well. Have been home for nearly a week now. Have my new super duper ceramic on ceramic hip, and am engrossed in the new JY brochure! Costa de la Luz for Sept/Oct and Costa Brava for Christmas. For next year Namibia, Burma, Kerala. Sadly I can't book anything until I see the consultant again in 5 weeks time!

Cheers

Hils

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Hils' wrote:

'chrisc' wrote:

Hi

Hi Chris,

Op all went well. Have been home for nearly a week now. Have my new super duper ceramic on ceramic hip, and am engrossed in the new JY brochure! Costa de la Luz for Sept/Oct and Costa Brava for Christmas. For next year Namibia, Burma, Kerala. Sadly I can't book anything until I see the consultant again in 5 weeks time!

Cheers

Hils

Glad all went well, happy holidays.

Cindy

sallyc
(Member)
Glad to hear everything went well Hils. You'll be back globe trotting before you know it!
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Hils

So nice to hear that everything went well. I may see you in Burma next year as I am seriously thinking about this holiday. I want to go to South Africa and I was planning to do this trip next year, but now new holidays have appeared in the brochure and I have to think really hard what I want to do. I also want to try and fit in the new Mexico, Belize trip but it all depends on what I can afford. Hopefully I will be able to fit in two long hauls next year.

Jaya

Julie White
(Member)
Hello Hils,

I am really pleased everything went ok with your op. You will be running around before you know it.

You will have to let me know how you get on in Costa de la Luz I fancy going there. It will be a nice relaxing break with some lovely warm sunshine.

I did Kerala a couple of years ago and It was a lovely trip. Well worth a visit. Burma and Namibia both look very interesting and definitely on my list to do.

Take care Hils

Best wishes your Calm Air pal Julie x