Hexer
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi

Have just booked my first holiday - going to China with cruise add on - on 10 September - feeling a bit nervous - anyone else going?:rolleyes:[/font]

Ian Mewett
(Member)
Yes I'm on the same trip. I have been with Just You to Thailand last Spring and it was very good. Looking forward to this one too. Ian from Scotland.
J Trott-Nicholls
(Member)
Hi

I'm booked on the China trip plus cruise add-on. The plastic envelope of documents flopped on the mat this morning and now I'm feeling nervous - September seemed a long way off until today 😞 The Visa application form seems quite daunting so I'll re-read all the stuff again tomorrow then sit down with a cup of tea and start to work my way through it.

Has anyone tried the APIS information website address given in the "Your Guide to Flying" booklet? I typed it in this evening but the webpage comes up 'Not found.'

I'm thinking of staying overnight near Gatwick as I don't trust the trains to get me down from Doncaster in good time for check in. Can anyone recommend hotels anywhere near the airport please?

Cheers

Janet

Hexer
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Janet

My friend stayed at the Premier Inn on her last trip from Gatwick and recommended that. I will be staying at Gatwick prior to departure in case of any delay, so may see you the night before. I photocopied the visa application form in case I made a mistake when writing it out (as they say we have to apply for another one if we make an error). I must say I agree with you September suddenly seems to be getting closer - very exciting. Are you going on the river trip. I am wondering what Air China is like i.e. the size of the seats does anyone know, it does not get very good reviews on line?

Regards

Evelyn

diddly74
(Member)
Hi

I too am booked on the China trip 10th Sept plus the River cruise add on.

Just sent off for my visa and now logged in to read hints,

I am thinking of staying at Gatwick the night before as I am travelling from Gloucestershire

Looking forward to meeting new people

Di

J Trott-Nicholls
(Member)
Hi Evelyn

When I paid my balance the Just You rep mentioned the Premier Inn too, so I'll be opting for that. I'll be booking my train tickets as early as possible too so that hopefully they will be much cheaper. Hadn't thought about the size of the aircraft seats, but I hope there's a decent amount of leg room. Yes, I'm going on the river trip and I've been looking at my atlas today to check the routes that we'll be taking. We seem to be taking huge leaps across the country from one city to another and the river trip seems to cover the most distance. I'm trying not to get too excited too soon - but equally, I'm also nervous as this is the first long haul holiday I've ever taken - 18 days too, whatever was I thinking! Anyway, it's paid for now so I'd better brace up and check my packing list. I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of our group.

Regards

Janet

'Hexer' wrote:

Hi Janet

My friend stayed at the Premier Inn on her last trip from Gatwick and recommended that. I will be staying at Gatwick prior to departure in case of any delay, so may see you the night before. I photocopied the visa application form in case I made a mistake when writing it out (as they say we have to apply for another one if we make an error). I must say I agree with you September suddenly seems to be getting closer - very exciting. Are you going on the river trip. I am wondering what Air China is like i.e. the size of the seats does anyone know, it does not get very good reviews on line?

Regards

Evelyn

davidj
  • (Member)
(Member)
I went on this trip in April and I am sure you will all have a really good time.

I was a little apprehensive about the flights being with Air China but it was not a problem. It was pretty well as good as airlines such as British Airways but was not as good as the best airlines that I have been on such as Singapore Airways. If you are concerned about the size of the seats I suggest you look at Seatguru and compare it to airlines you are familiar with. One thing worth mentioning is that you are not allowed to turn on your phones , even in flight mode. You could however use a tablet or Kindle. This applied to the long haul and internal flights.

The distances do look great but every time we moved from one hotel to another it was by air and getting to the cruise involved a flight and a high speed train. It was very well organised and was not a problem.

Six of us stayed at the Premier Inn the night before and it was a very good start to the holiday. We had exchanged emails (via Julia) and had dinner and breakfast together. Make sure you book the hotel opposite the correct terminal; there are other Premier inns at Gatwick.

13 of us went on the cruise and 11 of us upgraded, we thought that was well worth doing

David

estherlowrence@gmail.com
(Member)
Hi to all My name is Esther and i am going on the china trip on 10th without the add on and this is my first trip with just for you. I'll be traveling up in the morning on the train
Kezzer46
(Member)
Hi Janet,

I can definitely recommend the Premier Inn Gatwick Airport North Terminal. I got a really cheap rate which included parking for my last holiday with Just you in September last year. The restaurant they have on site was lovely too and the food was excellent.

The restaurant is usually pretty busy, so it pays to book yourself a table as soon as you arrive. They also have a coffee bar in the receptions area where you can buy sandwiches and hot drinks etc.

It is directly opposite the entrance to the North Terminal which means you dont have far to go the following morning if you have an early flight.

I am sure you will have a fantastic time in China, I was there a few years ago although not with JY and one piece of advice I can give you is, if they take you to the silk factory, hide you credit cards... I ended up spending a fortune there!!.

Kind Regards

Kezzer

J Trott-Nicholls
(Member)
I make it 12 weeks counting from yesterday before we all meet up at Gatwick ready for take off. I've just been running though my 'to do' list and looking at the cost of the train to Gatwick, an overnight stay and a new suit case - the list seems never ending 😕 My daughter has been looking at my packing list and suggests that I only pack half of what I planned and buy the rest when I get to Beijing. Does anyone have experience of clothes shopping in any of the cities we'll be visiting? (My daughter's suggestion is based on her holidays in Europe and I'd rather be safe than sorry as well as saving my money for good souvenirs).

Regards

Janet

J Trott-Nicholls
(Member)
'davidj' wrote:

I went on this trip in April and I am sure you will all have a really good time.

I was a little apprehensive about the flights being with Air China but it was not a problem. It was pretty well as good as airlines such as British Airways but was not as good as the best airlines that I have been on such as Singapore Airways. If you are concerned about the size of the seats I suggest you look at Seatguru and compare it to airlines you are familiar with. One thing worth mentioning is that you are not allowed to turn on your phones , even in flight mode. You could however use a tablet or Kindle. This applied to the long haul and internal flights.

The distances do look great but every time we moved from one hotel to another it was by air and getting to the cruise involved a flight and a high speed train. It was very well organised and was not a problem.

Six of us stayed at the Premier Inn the night before and it was a very good start to the holiday. We had exchanged emails (via Julia) and had dinner and breakfast together. Make sure you book the hotel opposite the correct terminal; there are other Premier inns at Gatwick.

13 of us went on the cruise and 11 of us upgraded, we thought that was well worth doing

David

Thank you David, that's really helpful. I've just looked through my documents and it's the North terminal we're at so will book the Premier Inn accordingly. I like your suggestion of dinner and breakfast with other group members which sounds like a good icebreaker - hopefully I can meet up with others in our group who are staying over and do the same.

Regards

Janet

estherlowrence@gmail.com
(Member)
'Hexer' wrote:

Hi

Have just booked my first holiday - going to China with cruise add on - on 10 September - feeling a bit nervous - anyone else going?:rolleyes:[/font]

Hi my name is Esther and i am going on the same trip without the cruise and it is also my first time.

estherlowrence@gmail.com
(Member)
'J wrote:

Hi

I'm booked on the China trip plus cruise add-on. The plastic envelope of documents flopped on the mat this morning and now I'm feeling nervous - September seemed a long way off until today 😞 The Visa application form seems quite daunting so I'll re-read all the stuff again tomorrow then sit down with a cup of tea and start to work my way through it.

Has anyone tried the APIS information website address given in the "Your Guide to Flying" booklet? I typed it in this evening but the webpage comes up 'Not found.'

I'm thinking of staying overnight near Gatwick as I don't trust the trains to get me down from Doncaster in good time for check in. Can anyone recommend hotels anywhere near the airport please?

Cheers

Janet

Hi there My name is Esther and I will be booking in at the traveloge at gatwick to stay over night there are 2 so I'll choose the cheapest one. I am coming from Milton Keynes.

JemmaJuly
(Member)
If my experience of China is anything to go by, you won't have much time for clothes shopping!! It is a pretty full on tour and I was very pleased to relax on the river cruise for a few days! Be sure to take a small overnight bag with you as well, as your case on occasions will be stored in Beijing when you are in Xian etc. I thought Air China long haul was poor. The food was awful, so I would take something to eat with you.

The internal flights were much better. I did this tour with JY a couple of years ago. Great experience, especially the Great Wall.

Hexer
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'J wrote:

'davidj' wrote:

David

Thank you David, that's really helpful. I've just looked through my documents and it's the North terminal we're at so will book the Premier Inn accordingly. I like your suggestion of dinner and breakfast with other group members which sounds like a good icebreaker - hopefully I can meet up with others in our group who are staying over and do the same.

Regards

Janet

:thumbup:Hi

I will be at the Premier Inn so hopefully we could all get together as David suggested the night before. I must check I have booked into the right Hotel at Gatwick as I was not aware there are two !! Getting very excited now.

Regards

Evelyn

Hexer
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'J wrote:

'davidj' wrote:

David

Regards

Janet

Hi Janet/David

That sounds like a good idea. If anyone else is staying at the Premier Inn perhaps we can meeting up for dinner. If they let me know who is interested I will book a table in advance - what do you think?

Evelyn