BGray
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi all, I'm already thinking about holidays for 2015 and I'm considering going to either Australia or New Zealand with JY. Could anyone who has done both holidays with JY give me some tips or insight as to which one you'd recommend I do first? I can't afford to do the two together and if I did one of them that year, it'd probably be a few years before I do the other.

Also a question for Julia/Tim: I think the Dubai stopover is available on all dates for 2015 for Australia, but is there any chance the Cook Islands add-on will be re-introduced for NZ as that could swing it?!!

Many thanks,

Bob

Tim
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob, unfortunately we won’t be reintroducing the Cook Islands add-on because the air routes no longer exist to be able to allow it.

Tim

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the info - I see Travelsphere are offering NZ with the Cook Islands in 2014 as a tour of 27 days, but even though dates are up for 2015 for the Cook Islands add-on, it is described as 22 days. Do I take it that's a glitch and the add-on isn't available for 2015 with Travelsphere either?

Also while I'm asking about TS, I've been looking at their Peru itinerary as it is more comprehensive than the JY one. I see there is an overnight stop at Nazca and presume there is a visit to the famous Nazca lines en route? It's not mentioned in the itinerary, but it would be an awful shame to be so close and not visit them! I hope you can clarify this.

Many thanks,

Bob

the_baron1
(Member)
Hi Bob,

I did Singapore, Australia & New Zealand in one go last year with JY. I note that you said that you could not afford to do in one go. Because of the considerable distance I opted to do just that. There is a lot of travelling to that part of the world and once you are in Australia and New Zealand you seem to be travelling all the time also.

For me the trip was a "once in a lifetime" experence. I do not think I will be doing anything like that again. If I was you I would consider doing it all in one go!

I enjoyed New Zealand more than Australia infact, although would not have missed seeing the sights of Australia. Glad I have done it. My last experence of Australia was in 1971 when I visited Perth (Freemantle) with the Navy. Seeing the rest of Australia was an achievement I wanted to complete along with New Zealand.

All the best to what you decide,

Eric

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Eric,

Many thanks for your reply - I'd love to do both together and I know it makes sense and that JY link the two tours up well together. But unfortunately it's a non-runner for me - I couldn't take that much time off work and I've family commitments (including the dog!) to consider too. Interesting that you preferred NZ to Oz; I'm really torn and I could well decide to do something else entirely - for example Peru with Travelsphere or whatever new tours JY might offer in the meantime. I like the idea of seeing Dubai on the way to Oz so at present, that's top of my list. We'll have to wait and see!

All the best,

Bob

DavidG
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Bob,

I went to Australia last year and NZ this year and, like Eric, I preferred Australia. I opted for the Hong Kong add-on with Australia which was very worthwhile for relatively little extra money. This is very much a matter of personal choice, but I did feel that some of the stops in NZ were merely 'fillers' in between other stops.

Australia is very different, NZ is similar to England (especially South Island) but more so. You will not be disappointed with either.

Hope this helps.

David.

Tim
  • (Member)
(Member)
'BGray' wrote:

I see Travelsphere are offering NZ with the Cook Islands in 2014 as a tour of 27 days, but even though dates are up for 2015 for the Cook Islands add-on, it is described as 22 days. Do I take it that's a glitch and the add-on isn't available for 2015 with Travelsphere either?

Also while I'm asking about TS, I've been looking at their Peru itinerary as it is more comprehensive than the JY one. I see there is an overnight stop at Nazca and presume there is a visit to the famous Nazca lines en route? It's not mentioned in the itinerary, but it would be an awful shame to be so close and not visit them! I hope you can clarify this.

Hi Bob,

The Cook Islands add-on is available on the Discover New Zealand tour in 2015 for Travelsphere. However, it's been incorrectly set up on our system so it's showing as 22 days instead of 27. This is in the process of being corrected - apologies for the confusion caused.

Regarding Peru, in Nazca we do take travellers to an observation tower where they will be able to glimpse the lines, but the views are quite limited which is why we don’t publicise it in the brochure.

Thanks,

Tim

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Tim, that's very helpful many thanks! I'm hoping to do Peru in 2015 or 2016 and it is great to know we'll get even a glimpse of the famous lines. Thanks for also clearing up the confusion regarding the TS NZ tour - I'm now wondering if TS can continue to offer the Cook Islands, why can't JY? If JY use a different airline perhaps it could be changed or could JY organise a tailor-made add-on to the Cook Islands? Sorry for making more work for you!

All the best,

Bob

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. I'm going to wait till the new holidays are added in the May brochure before I make up my mind!

Cheers,

Bob

Tim
  • (Member)
(Member)
'BGray' wrote:

Thanks for also clearing up the confusion regarding the TS NZ tour - I'm now wondering if TS can continue to offer the Cook Islands, why can't JY? If JY use a different airline perhaps it could be changed or could JY organise a tailor-made add-on to the Cook Islands? Sorry for making more work for you!

That's alright, Bob - it’s because the Just You tour has an integrated Hong Kong section. The route used to be operated by Air New Zealand (London – Hong Kong – Auckland) but they dropped this route and now only fly via Los Angeles. To keep our brochured itinerary we now fly Cathay Pacific, so there is unfortunately no Cook Islands option available as only Air New Zealand fly there (Auckland – Rarotonga – Los Angeles – London). Regarding the possibility of a tailor-made Cook Islands add-on, I'll have to get back to you on that...

Thanks,

Tim

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks a million Tim, you have been really helpful! The Hong Kong stopover is, I think, a major asset to the JY version of the NZ tour and I wouldn't want to miss out on it! Which is why I think I'd prefer to do NZ with JY and possibly miss out on the option of doing the Cook Islands afterwards than to do the TS version and miss HK (as well as travelling largely with couples!). I'd still be interested to hear if JY could do a tailor made Cook Is add-on, but the cost might be prohibitive!

Cheers,

Bob

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Bob

Well what a choice...TO BE HONEST I regret not doing both together, and the journey is so very long and mind numbingly boring LOL.... OK if you can't do both together which is really the way to go if you possible could. Both holiday are amazing...but I LOVED OZ and really enjoyed NZ....I would rather just go straight to NZ HKG was OK but for me I would of preferred more days in NZ...I was booked on OZ tour with JY but they cancelled and as j couldn't change dates I had to do independently but I did stick very much to the JY format...I love OZ the country and the people and would go back in a heartbeat!!!.

have fun making your mind up....if there is room in the bag can I hitch a ride.

Cindy

Tim
  • (Member)
(Member)
'BGray' wrote:

I'd still be interested to hear if JY could do a tailor made Cook Is add-on, but the cost might be prohibitive!

Hi Bob, yes we could do it - but as you rightly point out it is likely to be expensive. One option would be to book the fights as per the main tour with Cathay, plus additional return Auckland - Cook Islands flights with Air New Zealand (meaning a long trip back to the UK). Alternatively, a one-way flight with each airline. Although both expensive, the first option would be the cheaper of the two. It is possible though!

Thanks,

Tim

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for the info Tim, sounds like it would be very pricey! So looks like it'll be either Oz or Peru for 2015, unless there is something very exciting in the new line up!

Thanks again,

Bob

MarlaneH
(Member)
Hi Bob

Remember me? and the scary helicopter flight over Victoria Falls?

Just to say I went to NZ last Sept/Oct. Stopped off for 4 days in Hong Kong before flying to Aukland. Great Holiday, Wonderful scenery, good food and lovely hotels. Our tour manager was Trish who I believe is permanently there so you would probably be in her charge too. We didn't stop laughing from start to finish and she couldn't have done enough for us and really went the extra mile to help make our holiday a memorable one. Honk Kong was a colourful experience too

Hope that helps

all the best

Marlane

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Marlane,

Great to hear from you! There is no way I could ever forget meeting you (plenty of Specsavers moments on safari!!). Thanks for your comments, I'm still very undecided where to go next year (what a lovely dilemma to have!) but I definitely hope to do both Oz and NZ at some stage (and I'll still be doing them separately). Glad you had a great tour and hope you have somewhere exciting planned for this year as well...

Cheers,

Bob

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob,

Must admit Aus and NZ are both on my bucket list but the cost over the last 4 years has been a factor due to the poor exchange rate.

I've been monitering it and the pound seems to be fighting back and is back to where it was about 4 years ago (1.8), hopfully it will keep going in the right direction and get well above 2 dollars to the £ like it used to be, that should significantly bring costs down and you never know may get me joining you in 2005.

Mick

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Mick, that would be great, although I'm keeping my options open at present - I have the added complication of having to deal with the £ to € exchange rate as well and sterling has been a bit stronger against the euro in recent months, making JY hols more expensive for me! Anyhow, here's hoping that JY Will and team come up with some exciting and affordable new tours for 2015 for us and who knows where we'll end up?!!

Cheers,

Bob