sha_z13
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Help! I am getting very fed up with myself. I cant decide whether to take the plunge or not. I have been on holiday on my own before and enjoyed it at times. I am not afraid of the usual things that people say about going away there is only one thing for me and that is the swinging from (bad use of word there!) from sometimes feeling very lonely compounded by the constant visible reminders that others are with some one to the other extreme of actually wanting to get away from it all. I moan because I don't have any friends and find it quite hard to make friends due to a default shyness and what appears to others to be standoffish but I do a lot of interacting at work so I have to get over it. I am generally more quiet in a group - the larger the worse so the last thing I want is to fork out for one of these holidays only to find that it doesn't work for me. Gosh this is turning into an agony column!

What do you folks think about the Andalucía trip - I like the sun and views, scenery, culture/way of life but I am not much of a history person.

Anyone help me make this decision. I know I am going to get replies saying 'oh yes its great so if anyone can really relate to how I feel that would be ideal. I could say more so do ask questions. Thanks 😕

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Oh dear now what can I say to you that will not sound trivial....

OK I am 54 I started using JY in 2006 and now have been on many holidays, amongst the group. Age range 55-70 with younger and older either side..ladies and men travel but more ladies ..group size can be from say 15-40 ....in any group there are extroverts and much quieter types I fall in the first group!!!! Every one is allowed to be their self, there is no right or wrong at the end of the day it is YOUR holiday, pick something that appeals to YOU... I go for the action packed type of tour then I know I am off out and about seeing stuff each day, not laying by a pool which can feel lonely at times...

Just be yourself someways you might mix more than others but that is OK....

Give it a try and if you don't want to go again that's up to you, I know many people that have travelled with JY just wish they had given it a try earlier.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Cindy

anniethenitnurse
(Member)
Hi there,

I can be shy, too, but going with Just You is not an ordeal, believe me! Everyone is in the same boat when doing this for the first time, and the advantage of these holidays is that you can be alone when you want to be, as well as mix in when it suits you. Although the groups that go can be from 30 people upwards, I've found that once at the destination smaller groups are formed when people get to know each other better and find that they are alike in many ways. I've done 3 holidays with JY now and ny next one is in 7 weeks time to New England and Canada. I did a holiday on my own last year (a cruise) and found the same problem as you - it can be lonely after a certain time at night when couples are all around you! Go for it - try a shorter break or one of the weekend taster sessions first, if you're not sure. If you look at the number of people who return time after time to take holidays with JY, then that must say something about the quality of it! Age is also irrelevant - when I did Canada 2 years ago the age range was from early 30's to a lady in her 80's.

Hope this is of some help to you

Anne

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Shaz thanks for posting and for being so honest. I've had to overcome shyness and a lack of self confidence to do my job and it's not easy at times! I've also been on a few holidays by myself and totally understand where you're coming from. I did my first JY holiday three years ago - and it was to Andalucia! After a few years going on hols by myself I felt I needed a change and I came across JY by accident on the net. I didn't join the Community right away, but after looking at the range of holidays I decided on Andalucia because it was a part of Spain I'd never been to (some of my friends had and enjoyed it), the countryside and places visited seemed interesting and I particularly wanted to see Gibraltar. Above all, it was only for a week, close to home and not expensive, so I decided I had nothing to lose!

I thoroughly enjoyed the holiday - especially Ronda and Gibraltar. The town of Mijas is very picturesque and the pace of the holiday is quite relaxed. Most people did all the excursions, but some opted to do their own thing at times. This is one of JY's most popular holidays and there were (I think) 44 on the tour, a full bus! With a large group you don't get to know everyone well, but it was easy to strike up conversation with whoever you're sitting next to on the bus and there were a number of tables reserved for JY in the hotel for dinner, so you had plenty of people around you to eat with - and could be as chatty or as quiet as you liked. My group were very sociable and I went into the hotel bar most evenings after dinner for a couple of drinks and some chat. A couple of evenings there was dancing - and I was even persuaded to get up on the dance floor and I hate dancing!!

So all in all, a great holiday and introduction to JY. You can be sociable when you feel like it and quiet when you're in the mood for that and no one will mind. I've done five JY and one Travelsphere hol, with two more JY hols booked. After having such a good time in Andalucia, I've taken the plunge and done America's Golden West, South Africa/Zambia, India, Vietnam/Cambodia and South America (with Travelsphere). JY has opened my world to all sorts of new holiday options I wouldn't have had otherwise and can safely say it's the best decision I made in years.

Hope this encourages you to book!

Take care,

Bob

SusieB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sha

Yes I do understand the way you feel as I'm a bit like that too. Since losing my husband six years ago I have had several holidays by myself and for the most part thoroughly enjoyed them. There are those times tho when I've been very much aware that I am alone and can feel envious of the couples or groups around me however friendly they are.

Last year I decided to give JY a try as I liked the look of Spirit of India and thought that is a place I wouldn't like to tackle alone. It was a really good decision because I had a marvellous time and right from the outset felt I was in good company. I met a couple of fellow travellers at Heathrow and others on the plane. By the end of our first hectic day it really felt like we were just one big group (30 I think) of friends and thats the way it remained throughout the holiday. Our tour manager, Barbara was great at encouraging that too.

I don't know Andalucia but wherever you choose, do go for it you won't regret it, it will open up a new world for you. Hope this helps you make up your mind. Good luck Sue :thumbup:

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Shaz

Andalucia is a lovely holiday destination. If you really want to go there, just go ahead and book the holiday. Travelling with Just You is great - you are well looked after and everything is taken care of. Everyone is friendly and you will soon make friends.

Jaya

katy1717
(Member)
Hi Shaz, I only found Just You a couple of years ago and am really glad I did. I've been on holiday solo in the past, it can be especially difficult eating out but with JY you just join with everybody else. They also have a great selection of holidays. I did the Andalucia holiday earlier this year, the hotel is in Mijas which is a lovely Spanish town. I also did all the trips except for Gibraltar (as I wanted to have the time chilling in Mijas instead). I'm also not very outgoing but you do find everyone mixes well and there are a whole range of people, its really not just a bunch of extroverts who go on these holidays.
sookie222
(Member)
Hi Shaz, I've only been on one JY holiday (in April to Americas Golden West) and, when I can afford it, I will be booking another. I've always been a bit of a loner in my personal life, although had to play quite a different 'role' at work, and I wasn't sure how I'd fit in with a lot of single travellers. However, I found there were quite a lot of us 'rabbits in the headlights' arriving at Heathrow to take our first flight together 🙂. I'm sure you'll find that your bright turquoise JY luggage tag is an invitation for strangers to approach you to make friends - it really is as easy as that. Within 10 mins of arriving in the terminal I had six new names to remember!! Just book a place that you'd like to go and I'm sure you'll find that the people will be a lovely addition. Sue
Auntie D
(Member)
'katy1717' wrote:

Hi Shaz, I only found Just You a couple of years ago and am really glad I did. I've been on holiday solo in the past, it can be especially difficult eating out but with JY you just join with everybody else. They also have a great selection of holidays. I did the Andalucia holiday earlier this year, the hotel is in Mijas which is a lovely Spanish town. I also did all the trips except for Gibraltar (as I wanted to have the time chilling in Mijas instead). I'm also not very outgoing but you do find everyone mixes well and there are a whole range of people, its really not just a bunch of extroverts who go on these holidays.

Evening, Shaz!

I do hope all the replies to your post have encouraged you to take the plunge. Believe me, you will not regret and upon your return you will be eagerly perusing the brochure to see where you fancy next.

All the replies should give you the push to go for the Andalucía trip. I went on this trip myself a few years ago and still keep in touch with fellow travellers.

Do make the booking ~~ you will not regret it!!

Good luck, take a deep breath and make the reservation.

Denise

:thumbup::thumbup: