Ariya
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi,

It might sound silly but I was just wondering what the tour managers do on the holidays, how much help do you get from them, do they meet you at the airport and fly out with you etc?. Also on any free days on the holiday are they available to help you sort out how to get to places you want to go/ give you ideas what to do etc. (public transport can be scary enough in this country if you're not used to it, even more nervous about finding my way in foreign countries!) I've never been away on my own before and also never been on any holidays that involve tour managers so no idea what to expect really.

Also how are the included and optional excursions generally organised? Does everyone meet at the hotel then you go by coach or similar to places as a group or do you have to find your own way there and back?

I think I've just about decided to go ahead and book my first trip on my own and hopefully will book my holiday to Hawaii in the next couple of weeks! Just need to get my final couple of worries sorted out first.

Thanks in advance for any help people can give.

Hayley

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hayley

What a great question,I have my 9th JY tour booked.

What the tour manager does can actually depend on what sort of tour you are booked on, sometimes very little if I am honest ie Kenya tour as the local somak rep did most of the tour side of things the JY rep was just there for other types of help.

USA tours the rep does get stuck in and can be a great help with places to eat etc, some times they also do a fair chunk of the chatting on the coach drives with information, other times the driver is very good with his knowledge.

The manager gets off and gets the room keys and hands them out and also gives you the information that's needed about meeting in the mornings or evenings with excursion times.

The manager quite often lets you know he/she will be around reception at a given time, for any problems, meal arrangements that sort of thing.

For me the manager is here to make sure I am NOT LOST or missing!!!!...they are very good at letting people find there feet, and just to be in the back ground, and to pick up on things if they occur.

On my tours we have had, lost cases, rooms locked, handbags purses go missing, passport issues, major health issues, tearful people (these holidays can be a time where people can cry and that's fine), scared people, people who are going out of there own comfort zone ie helicopter flights, power boats, Bungy jumps it all happens.

The manager has had to help me with food issues I am a vegetarian, some flights don't have me down there fault not JY so she has had to sort that out...

Most optional tours are paid to the manager and it is there responsibility to sort out transport there and back etc and to let you know the time...

It all does work out really well, so I hope you have a great time.

If there's anything else I can help with just ask

Cindy

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Hayley

The short answer to your question is yes - the Tour Manager does all of the above (and more). Some of the time they will meet you at your destination but there will be another rep at the UK Airport to make sure you get on the plane. As regards to the excursions, you are picked up at your hotel and taken back at the end of the day. If the Tour Manager isn't on the trip with you, they will see you off and meet the coach to make sure there are no problems. If you fancy doing something on your own they will help arrange it, although you are rarely on your own unless you choose to be.

They really make sure that you don't have anything to worry about and most importantly they are there for you if something goes wrong. I have a huge amount of admiration for the TMs - they keep everything running smoothly, deal with sometimes difficult customers, all with a smile on their face. On a couple of the tours I've done they supplied sweeties and quizzes to make long journeys go faster.

If you're thinking of going to Hawaii in October - I'm doing that one and it looks like a fabulous trip.

Sally

Ariya
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks very much for the replies. Sounds like you're well looked after. I decided I had to stop worrying about things and not keep putting it off (I'm terrible at making decisions) so went ahead and booked it this evening. Was really impressed with how helpful and nice the lady I spoke to on the phone was too 🙂
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Ariya

Good for you, so which tour have you booked for? You will have fun and you will be looked after.

Cindy

Ariya
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Went ahead and booked Hawaii for October in the end, it looks so beautiful! Although between me, my mum and my boyfriend I don't know who's the most nervous about me going so far on my own.
sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
You're not on your own - there are (at the moment) 25 of us going with you!!!
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Wow great tour I had my eye on that but went for the Florida one... You will be fine, I leave my hubby at home so if he can cope I am sure your boyfriend can.

Cindy

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Ariya

You have chosen a wonderful trip and will have a great time. I can assure you that there is nothing to be nervous about as you are looked after very well by Just You from start to finish. I bet you will want to book another holiday with Just You when you are back.

Jaya