Debs1961
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi,

I'm going on this trip on 28th Sept and wondered how much currency to take, not knowing how much drinks and food costs its a bit tricky. Do we have to buy bottled water from the lodge whilst on safari? Also is it cold enough for cardigans at night, it looks ok while at the beach hotel but not sure about the lodge. I have been asking JY for general information but have been told nothing is sent until 2 weeks before departure. Just under 5 weeks to go, getting excited but apprehensive due to lack of general information. Does anyone know luggage allowance size/weight for the cabin?

Regards

Debs

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Debs

I can help you with a couple of questions, Breakfast and Dinner are provided so you do not need much money for food, as if you eat a good breakfast you might be able to survive till dinner, at the second hotel there is a beach bar that serves light lunches, ie toasted sarnies and chips etc. At the second hotel there is a Indian and and Italian restuarnt which myself and some ladies did go to, this of course you have to pay for but it was not mega money but it did break the chore of buffet evening meals. I went at the same time your going last year and it was very HOT and humid I did take a few cardies for the evening but never put one on at all, only when I landed back home. I did infact wear dresses most evenings as so humid. I would recomend that you buy water and keep rehydrated as you do sweat so much out. YUK. I know but a fact so need to keep the water levels up, there is a fridge in the 2nd hotel. There is a spa room/place at 2nd hotel with very good priced treatments I had a manicure and an indian head massage for a fraction of what I would pay here. If there are any othere questions feel free to ask. OK. Regarding the cabin weight, I would check with the airline on the web, usually says online that sort of information.

Cindy

Debs1961
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'nixon' wrote:

Debs

I can help you with a couple of questions, Breakfast and Dinner are provided so you do not need much money for food, as if you eat a good breakfast you might be able to survive till dinner, at the second hotel there is a beach bar that serves light lunches, ie toasted sarnies and chips etc. At the second hotel there is a Indian and and Italian restuarnt which myself and some ladies did go to, this of course you have to pay for but it was not mega money but it did break the chore of buffet evening meals. I went at the same time your going last year and it was very HOT and humid I did take a few cardies for the evening but never put one on at all, only when I landed back home. I did infact wear dresses most evenings as so humid. I would recomend that you buy water and keep rehydrated as you do sweat so much out. YUK. I know but a fact so need to keep the water levels up, there is a fridge in the 2nd hotel. There is a spa room/place at 2nd hotel with very good priced treatments I had a manicure and an indian head massage for a fraction of what I would pay here. If there are any othere questions feel free to ask. OK. Regarding the cabin weight, I would check with the airline on the web, usually says online that sort of information.

Cindy

Hi Cindy

Thanks for the info, will certainly make use of the spa! Thinking about taking £350 in Kenyan Schillings, I presume this will be enough. Could you also tell me is it advisable to take a money belt or not necessary. Also it may seem a stupid question but do we need to take money out with us on safari?

Regards

Debs

Mary K
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Debs1961' wrote:

Hi,

I'm going on this trip on 28th Sept and wondered how much currency to take, not knowing how much drinks and food costs its a bit tricky. Do we have to buy bottled water from the lodge whilst on safari? Also is it cold enough for cardigans at night, it looks ok while at the beach hotel but not sure about the lodge. I have been asking JY for general information but have been told nothing is sent until 2 weeks before departure. Just under 5 weeks to go, getting excited but apprehensive due to lack of general information. Does anyone know luggage allowance size/weight for the cabin?

Regards

Debs

Hi Debs.

not long to go now but as you say everything seems a little vague at the moment , Thank goodness for Cindy is what i say ..... she has been very helpful ...

Regards

Mary K

Mary K
  • (Member)
(Member)
'nixon' wrote:

Debs

Cindy

Hi Cindy

Just want to say a big thank you for all your help about the Kenya trip...

Regards

Mary K

marymoo
(Member)
Hi Cindy

Am going on this holiday on 12th October and would be grateful for any advice on currency and what you would recommend, am doing the add on as well so any information on which trips to do would be good.

Mary:thumbup:

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
DEBS

I never take a money belt but if you have one and feel safer with that then that is fine, I must say I did keep a very close eye on my purse and bag at all times, Better to be safe than sorry...

NO you do not need money on safari,you do not get out of the jeep!!!!!!! there are animals around ..!!!!!!! OK as a rule you do not need money but I do remember we did stop of somewhere, for MORE WATER and a quick toilet stop, and I am sure there was a souvenier warehouse some where as well, I must admitt wherever I was then so was all my money cards camera, I did not leave anything really of mega value in the rooms.

Mary

Currency is Kenyan Schillings as a rule, I took most in that then a little amount in sterling to change up if needed and I did take my card, I only used my card at the airport at duty free on the way out. Don't forget to let the card people/bank know your travelling to that country. I personally did not do much on the add on apart from chill and relax, the pool area is very nice to spend time around. The people that did the Whalewatching? something like that had a great day out and it was worth the money but an incredabilly long tireing day. I went to Haller Park? like a mini zoo was only for about 4 hours and was close by was ok, got some real close up shots of few animals.I also went out on Mombasa City Tour - half day sorry but I did not enjoy this, the heat and the beggars was not for me, so couple times I just stayed on the coach while people got on and off looking at things. There was nothing worthwhile for me to buy. The Dow evening meal boat trip was WELL WORTH going on, this was included when I went. There is a childrens aids orphanage near the 2nd hotel you do need to go in a taxi but the taxi waited for us while we spent and hour or so with the children, it was sad but not sad if you know what I mean, so if you fancy going then take kids stuff colouring pencils pens,crayons,paper etc..they love it and any toilettries like samples from hotels that sort of thing, or if you have room a bag of old childrens clothes maybe from family and friends. here is a web address if you would like to see...

www.tumainichildrenshome.com

It is not easy to walk on the beach with all the stall holders hassling you to buy there merchandice, but there is a guard by the steps to the terrace so they cannot actually encrouch on to the hotel area. Just ignore then or a firm I am not interested works, I do understand they have to make a living.

Anything else you have questions on?

Take loads of memory cards or film as so much to take photo's of..

Cindy

Debs1961
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Mary wrote:

'Debs1961' wrote:

Hi,

Regards

Debs

Hi Debs.

not long to go now but as you say everything seems a little vague at the moment , Thank goodness for Cindy is what i say ..... she has been very helpful ...

Regards

Mary K

Hi Mary,

I agree Cindy has been very helpful, she should get a discount for all the info she gives us all lol!!!! Only 4 weeks and numerous lists to check off lol!!!! Ticket info arrives in 2 weeks ..... yippeeeee!

Regards

Debs

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
ooooooooooooooooo DISCOUNT!!!!!!!!!!.... HOPE THE JY PEOPLE ARE WATCHING OVER THIS HA HA HA !!!!!!
marymoo
(Member)
'nixon' wrote:

ooooooooooooooooo DISCOUNT!!!!!!!!!!.... HOPE THE JY PEOPLE ARE WATCHING OVER THIS HA HA HA !!!!!!

Thanks, Cindy, for your info. Am starting to get excited now. How did you find the journey there. My friend and I are setting off from Manchester, so that's three planes!!!???

Mary K
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Debs1961' wrote:

'Mary wrote:

'Debs1961' wrote:

Hi,

Regards

Debs

Hi Debs.

Regards

Mary K

Hi Mary,

I agree Cindy has been very helpful, she should get a discount for all the info she gives us all lol!!!! Only 4 weeks and numerous lists to check off lol!!!! Ticket info arrives in 2 weeks ..... yippeeeee!

Regards

Debs

Hi Debs yes 4 weeks to go now... getting quite excited lol ... but the luggage allowance is totally baffeling me .... hopefully there will be some information on this when the ticket info arrives...

Regards

Mary K

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Mary

The journey is fine, long but fine I have done Australia so once you have done 24 hours anything less than that is a breeze. Just make it part of the holiday, take something to do on the plane, or watch the films and TRY and get some sleep as once you get there you are off and running. It really is a fantastic tour. I know you will have great fun.

Cindy

Sue Southampton
(Member)
Feel a bit less nervous now as I realise that other people feel as I do. I thought I would be the only one that was worried about going alone but it seems not. I hope nearer the time I will hear from someone that has booked the same dates as me. ie 6 June 2012 as I would like to get to know someone even if it just there name.

I will keep reading and perhaps even plan my 2013 trip as a lot of people go every year so it must be ok.

Sue Southampton

Debs1961
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Sue wrote:

Feel a bit less nervous now as I realise that other people feel as I do. I thought I would be the only one that was worried about going alone but it seems not. I hope nearer the time I will hear from someone that has booked the same dates as me. ie 6 June 2012 as I would like to get to know someone even if it just there name.

I will keep reading and perhaps even plan my 2013 trip as a lot of people go every year so it must be ok.

Sue Southampton

Hi Sue,

Its now only 3 weeks until I go to Kenya so the nerves are kicking in a bit more but also excitement!!!!! As someone said to me at work, when you go on holiday on your own you have nobody to bounce off for ideas and advice on what to take etc. No wonder we get nervous! Watch out for my story when I get back!!! (after 12th Oct)

Regards

Debs

Mary K
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Debs!!!

countdown now... cant wait... A little disappointing about the exec lounge before we go... hopefully we will all be pointed in the right direction to meet up with each other... very confused at the moment though about the luggage situation this will become clearer nearer the time i think... Ollie says to pack your soft bag inside your case but then there will be no room for the other things going to the hotel surely as the bag would be taking up most of the space in the case.... or an i just being thick lol !!!!!

Mary K

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
This must of changed when I went we took two bags in the hold ie..1 CASE for 2nd hotel and 1..soft holdall...

You do not need that much to be honest on safari..just very casual clothes for going in the jeep, (when I went Oct last year) it was soooo hot and humid, so cut off shorts/troussers vest top and a overshirt. These do get covered to brown dust as windows and top of the jeep are open, so sorry but wear only one day. then just clean and casual for the evenings..for the safari part I just took travel toiletries enough fro the couple of days and packed the bigger bottels for the 2nd part. don't know if that helps you at all ?

Cindy

Debs1961
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Mary wrote:

Hi Debs!!!

countdown now... cant wait... A little disappointing about the exec lounge before we go... hopefully we will all be pointed in the right direction to meet up with each other... very confused at the moment though about the luggage situation this will become clearer nearer the time i think... Ollie says to pack your soft bag inside your case but then there will be no room for the other things going to the hotel surely as the bag would be taking up most of the space in the case.... or an i just being thick lol !!!!!

Mary K

Hi Mary,

Yes it is disappointing about the exec lounge I was looking forward to going posh lol. I'm sure there will be an area in a bar to get together...one for road and all that!!!!!! (also a good icebreaker!) About the luggage...i'm not going with the idea of a soft bag inside my suitcase, it won't work the way I pack!!!!!!!!! I had a look on Kenya Airways website and although not all that clear, we get 20kg for the hold luggage and 10kg for a cabin bag. I am going to pack safari clothes and things I need for that time in a soft sports bag to keep with me in the cabin (practice run weighed less than 10kg) then at Mombassa i will transfer toiletries, suncream etc from the top of my case to the holdall. Just waiting for info we get from JY to confirm cabin bag size and both allowances. I hope this is a better option for you.

I have got my perscription for Malarone Malaria tablets and will get them at the weekend. Got the spray but not sure if to take plug in thing. I've been looking at the weather for Mombassa and they're getting some heavy showers but it very warm!

Anything else you're not sure about?!!!!!!

Regards

Debs

Mary K
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Debs.

yes I agree that one bag inside the other just wont work .. I too have decided like you to take a holdall and a case... Think I have everything under control now . Just need to get some currency sorted then thats it.

Regards

Mary k:thumbup:

Mary K
  • (Member)
(Member)
'nixon' wrote:

This must of changed when I went we took two bags in the hold ie..1 CASE for 2nd hotel and 1..soft holdall...

You do not need that much to be honest on safari..just very casual clothes for going in the jeep, (when I went Oct last year) it was soooo hot and humid, so cut off shorts/troussers vest top and a overshirt. These do get covered to brown dust as windows and top of the jeep are open, so sorry but wear only one day. then just clean and casual for the evenings..for the safari part I just took travel toiletries enough fro the couple of days and packed the bigger bottels for the 2nd part. don't know if that helps you at all ?

Cindy

Hi Cindy

thanks for the info on the luggae situation.. I shall be taking a soft bag and a case.. as this seems the most sensible thing to do .less than 3 weeks to go now so getting quite excited.

Regards

Mary K

Debs1961
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'nixon' wrote:

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for the info on clothes its just as I thought. I had planned on shorts & vest top for each day but not about an overshirt is it really necessary as I don't have anything like that. I always use small bottles for toiletries but with all the mosi and medical stuff, suncream etc it still seems to weigh a lot!!!!!!! Counting the days and hours now lol.

Thanks for info

Debs