karent
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
[/size][/font]Hi all. just wondered if those of you who have done this trip have any travel tips for us?

any 'must do's/see'?

i have seen previous threads re what clothes to take - cover all options it would seem/take layers and good pair of shoes.

what are the options to wash/iron clothes?

for the 48 hours in Hong Kongon way to NZ how much (in £) shall i allow - i have no idea of costs there eg meals.

has anyone used the airport lounges on the return turnaround at HK airport as i am thinking about booking one so can have shower/freshen up (friend who has done this journey before recommended that i do)

thank you in anticipation

Karen x

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi Karen

The local tour guide in HK on coach from airport to hotel will give you a running commentary and also the tour manager should give you an A4 sheet of paper with hints for both countries. Like you I had no idea of costs in HK so took £200. This proved far too much, or I was mean! Most of us ate all the food offered to us on the flights so did not need much in HK on first night. You get two free drinks in a bar next door to the hotel and then we went with the tour manager on a familiarisation of the local area, bought a snack in a supermarket and walked back to hotel. Cannot remember what we did for the second night in HK, might have been dinner in the hotel? I didn't use the shower facilities at the airport but took some wipes/toothpaste/change of underwear/t-shirt and freshened up either on the plane or in the airport. In NZ the coach drivers act as tour guides too - very knowledgeable. Most of the hotel rooms in NZ have irons and ironing boards and some have washing machines in an annexe.

Hope this helps. Unfortunately my favourite city, Christchurch, has had another earthquake. I hope this does not impact on your trip.