JYJames
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
As some of you know JYHQ is shared with a couple of other brands and the teams share a lot of hints and tips. Given a recent post about flight delay compensation claims and seeing all of our brands affected by delays from scheduled flights we wanted to share the following with you. Please note the following applies on any flight you may take and not only those with Just You.

Here at Just You we try to make your holiday run as smoothly as possible, however should your flight be delayed, under the rules and regulations of the EU 261/2014 directive we are not able to make a claim on your behalf. Any compensation that the airline is prepared to agree is a direct contract between you and the airline – but, let us try and explain about how you can make a claim here:

Under the directive, it is the airlines responsibility to make you aware of what compensation you may be entitled to, many will provide you with a leaflet during the delay, once the minimum delay period has been reached.

We have found that as this is a growing industry there are a number of claims management companies in the market offering to help claim this money back for you in return for a percentage of your compensation settlement. We are unable to recommend any specific company as we are unable guarantee that they will be able to provide the level of service that our customers expect…. It is in fact very easy to make a claim without out using a third party company meaning that you can keep all of your compensation payment.

Often all that is required is a visit to the airlines website to fill in an online claim form with your personal details and the flight that you are making a claim against. If you have travelled with Just You, you will find all your flight numbers and airline reference numbers on your final information documents to assist you with this claim.

If you know someone who has experienced a delay but does not have access to the internet, you can also make a claim by post. If you have experienced a delay that would entitle you to compensation on a Just You tour and would prefer to make a claim by post, please feel free to ask on here (with your booking reference number) and we will do our best to obtain the correct address for you.

Below, I have included a link to the official EU directive website which has a template for you to fill in to make your claim.

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites/transport/files/themes/passengers/air/doc/complain_form/eu_complaint_form_en.pdf 

I hope you find this thread useful if in the unfortunate event that you experience a delayed flight.

James

IanWight
(Member)
I have successfully claimed under this but it is a bit of a minefield but don't give up if the airline should try to fob you off on your initial claim.

I suffered a 24 hour delay on a long haul flight a couple of years ago. We had boarded but there was a technical fault and as this could not be readily rectified within crew flight allowance times we were de-planed and given hotel accommodation overnight before flying 24 hours later.

An initial claim to the airline was turned down however I found a textbook style essay from a law firm on the web & copied this & tailored it to my circumstances. A E600 compensation cheque turned up shortly thereafter.

There are lots of circumstances whereby compensation may or may not be payable depending on the circumstances. Something like the Iceland volcano a few years ago may not warrant compensation as this is something over which airlines have no control whilst in my case announcements from the captain made it clear that this was something within the control of the airline. All delays will be different and I suggest that in addition to ticking boxes on forms you give full reasons & explanations for the delay and why you believe the reasons for the delay to have been something the airline could have forseen. There is a Wikipedia page for (EC) 261/2004 which actually has some useful guidance.

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks Ian & James

This is really helpful

JYJames
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Rose ,

Yes of course our tour manager and our duty office here in Market Harborough will do everything possible to make sure all our customers are well looked after. It is actually the airlines responsibility to get you onto alternative flights and to your final destination and we will do everything possible to make sure they meet their obligations to you

Regards

James

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Rose, I'm sure James will reply but just to reassure you that if one of the flights either to or from our destination was delayed or cancelled, the TM would organise new flights in conjunction with JY HQ.  If it was a connecting flight that we had asked JY to book for us (i.e. from a local airport to the main departure point or vice versa), the TM should help us organise new flights - if there is a charge to change the flight, we would have to pay and then claim back on our insurance.  That's my understanding of it anyhow!!

Hope this helps!

All the best,

Bob

SarahS
(Member)
At the end of an excellent JY holiday ealier this year, our return BA flight from Basle to Heathrow was cancelled. BA booked all but three passengers onto the next flight. Those three had connecting flights, again with BA, to Scotland. The later flight arrived too late to make an onward connection, so they were taken to a hotel for the night, and flown home the following day. My understanding of EU law in the case of cancelled flights is that the airline is obliged to offer alternative travel or a refund, but not compensation.
IanWight
(Member)
Hi Sarah,

It is not clear from your post if you were one of the affected passengers but, depending on the circumstances of the cancellation, then there may be compensation.

As I said in my earlier post it is all a bit of a minefield & regardless of circumstances it probably depends as much on how well you put together any claim and how forceful you are in your arguments.

http://www.airpassengerrights.eu/en/flight-cancellation.html 

Regards,

Ian

magpie10
(Member)
Hi,

I'd just like to point out that the TM would not necessarily get involved with arranging alternative connecting flights, neither would JY, regardless of whether or not you had booked them through JY. It's always best to make sure you would know what to do/where to go if, say, you'd missed a connecting flight from Heathrow to your local airport, and make sure you have adequate money with you to pay for another ticket as JY would not take responsibility for this.

On a further note, your travel insurance would not pay out either as they'd expect the airline to compensate you via EU regulations, and because the flights are UK to U.K. (I.e. Heathrow to Newcastle), I'm speaking from recent experience of this issue. This has, understandably made me very wary of booking another holiday with JY.

I hope this clarifies the issue.

Regards

Caroline

Mel P
  • (Member)
(Member)
I flew Monarch Airlines and was delayed over 3 hours due to a technical problem with the plane and received £288 in compensation. It was quite  straight forward. You need to cite the European regulation. I only knew this because my taxi driver told me.
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
I am surprised that Monarch Airlines paid for just 3 hours delay as usually Airlines will not pay for such a short delay. I guess Mel was lucky.

Jaya

magpie10
(Member)
European flight delay compensation is payable if the delay is 3 hours or more, so it would be payable in Mel's case.

Regards

Caroline