JY Will
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi all,

I'm having a session with some of my colleagues in the next couple of weeks to see how we are progressing with reseraching new holidays. Hopefully we will have a good idea by then as to what we might see going into the new brochure in the spring.

As always, feel free to mention any new ideas you may have!

AnnF
  • (Member)
(Member)
Gosh, Will, I'm still grappling with the December brochure! I've got at least 5 pages with turned-down corners and have booked two of them.

I did the Canadian Rockies and Vancouver last June and some time in the last month or so have seen a Travelsphere ad (in the Radio Times, I think) for the eastern side of Canada - Toronto, Ontario etc. I'd love to see some more of Canada and wonder if this TS holiday could be "converted" at some time for those of us who prefer to travel with JY.

In hope, Ann

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Will that is great to hear and many thanks for keeping us informed and for listening so attentively to our hopes, dreams and sometimes our concerns or niggles as well!

I am sure you are fed up with my suggestions (as I've made them more than once!) but here goes anyway:

New destinations (or at least ones that have not featured in recent years): Tanzania with Zanzibar add-on (not in April/May rainy season like a certain other tour operator!!); Ethiopia (Simien Mountains a must); Namibia; Morocco; Iceland (at other times of year apart from new year); Equador and Galapogos; Nepal incl. Chitwan; Poland; Grand Tour of Europe by Train (like an inter-rail experience for the over 25s - several intineraries could be offered, or the itinerary could change each year).

Making the following Travelsphere tours available as JY tours: Sumatara, Java and Bali (incl. Bali add-on); Croatia, Montenegro and Albania; Peru with Amazon (TS itinerary - yes, I know you said it's not been considered at present but I'm just sayin'); San Francisco to Vancouver; Japan; Burma; the new Thailand/Laos tour.

I could go on (and on), but I think that's enough for the time being!!

Cheers,

Bob

JY Will
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi Will that is great to hear and many thanks for keeping us informed and for listening so attentively to our hopes, dreams and sometimes our concerns or niggles as well!

I am sure you are fed up with my suggestions (as I've made them more than once!) but here goes anyway:

New destinations (or at least ones that have not featured in recent years): Tanzania with Zanzibar add-on (not in April/May rainy season like a certain other tour operator!!); Ethiopia (Simien Mountains a must); Namibia; Morocco; Iceland (at other times of year apart from new year); Equador and Galapogos; Nepal incl. Chitwan; Poland; Grand Tour of Europe by Train (like an inter-rail experience for the over 25s - several intineraries could be offered, or the itinerary could change each year).

Making the following Travelsphere tours available as JY tours: Sumatara, Java and Bali (incl. Bali add-on); Croatia, Montenegro and Albania; Peru with Amazon (TS itinerary - yes, I know you said it's not been considered at present but I'm just sayin'); San Francisco to Vancouver; Japan; Burma; the new Thailand/Laos tour.

I could go on (and on), but I think that's enough for the time being!!

Cheers,

Bob

Wow, that's a long list Bob. Can't believe how many of thos places are currently being worked on already as well! Have you been spying!?

Ann - that new Canadian itinerary looks great doesn't it! it's a fairly new destination for Travelsphere so we will watch how popular that is over the next year or so

CowboyUK
(Member)
Hi Will,

Have JY ever done ranching holidays? I know this wouldn't be your most popular type of holiday, but it's something I've always dreamed of doing.

Mark

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Will

Tough one for me to think of new tours, I have achieved my dreams and I know and appreciate how lucky I am.

I had a great time seeing the animals on the Kenyan Safari a few years ago, so perhaps another safari type tour with out to much local sightseeing with optional add on to laze by the pool.

Adventure break with fast jet boat rides, helicopter flights, something to get the heart beating faster and to take you out of the comfort zone.

Cindy

JY Will
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'CowboyUK' wrote:

Hi Will,

Have JY ever done ranching holidays? I know this wouldn't be your most popular type of holiday, but it's something I've always dreamed of doing.

Mark

Mark, it's never 100% until it's all confirmed - but the new brochure may well be of intereest to you!

the_baron1
(Member)
Hi Will,

The Canada one sounds great that Anne suggested. I did see it in the travelsphere brochure that my partner receives.

I did suggest to you a while ago the train journeys that travelsphere did in Switzerland, so hope you might be looking into them as well.

Going back to Canada, being a train jeek I am interested in the rail journey from Toronto, through the rockies to Vancouver. I know most tours for the rocky mountaineer start in Calgery and finish with an Alaskan cruise. Being a sailor for 35 years a cruise does not intrest me! Hope you might look into this sort of rail holiday.

Eric

zztop27
(Member)
So Japan is back as a destination in the brochure this year. Already booked for India in March 2014 so hopefully can book Japan for 2015.

Pete .............

cfreadiing
(Member)
How about some short trips to European Christmas markets?
Jean77
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Will

I was so pleased to see that you introduced Chicago to New Orleans this year and I'm still considering booking. I was too impatient and did it with another company last year. Loved it and would do it again. I still have loads on my list though. Perhaps for starters, I'd like to see more Eastern USA trips included. I would love to visit Washington DC and the Carolinas. Another on the wish list is Morocco.

Yours hopefully...

Jean

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Will

With all this talk of Canada, you might've known I'd pitch in! Thanks for the suggestion of the Polar Bear trip on the other thread - I like the idea of travelling to that area but ironically not so keen about the bears! A schoolboy from Jersey (where I am) was very seriously injured and his best friend killed in an attack by a polar bear in Norway a couple of years ago so, beautiful though they are, I'm wary!

Re Eastern Canada - I did a version of this trip with Page & Moy in 2008 - it was my first experience of the JY/TS world and I was the only single traveller (then aged 42) in a large group of retired couples. They sort of adopted me and later admitted that they all thought I was an undercover trainee Tour Manager! It was a super trip and covered Toronto/Niagra/Ottowa/Quebec City and, the highlight for me, a day watching majestic minke, sperm and fin whales on a boat trip off Tadoussac. I think the trip was 8 nights and it was a great introduction to both Canada and accompanied holidays. I might even do it again if you put it back in the brochure (hint,hint...)

I'm also interested to hear about your plans for the Canadian Rockies trip. When I did it, it included the two day trip on the Rocky Mountaineer - truly amazing. My own suggestions for augmenting it would be to some how work in longer in Calgary (rather than just being picked up and taken straight to Bampf from the airport) and perhaps a longer or even standalone trip to Vancover Island. We had a couple of days there, and even that wasn't enough, but I think the current itinerary only includes a day trip?

Finally, not for me but blowing the trumpet for my little island - have you ever considered doing a 'Channel Island hopper' trip with a couple of nights in Jersey, Guernsey, Sark and Alderney? It might appeal to people who don't fancy Europe or long haul destinations?

Keep up the good work (if you want those stars....)

Mandy

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Will,

Thanks for your comments, I'm getting very excited now about the new brochure! I do hope that the new tours have a good uptake after all the hard work you are putting into developing your tour schedule! I should have also mentioned, I hope JY bring back the Russia Golden Ring special departure at some stage as I'd like to see more of Russia than just Moscow & St Petersburg.

Thanks again Will,

Cheers,

Bob

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Jean77' wrote:

Hi Will

I was so pleased to see that you introduced Chicago to New Orleans this year and I'm still considering booking. I was too impatient and did it with another company last year. Loved it and would do it again. I still have loads on my list though. Perhaps for starters, I'd like to see more Eastern USA trips included. I would love to visit Washington DC and the Carolinas. Another on the wish list is Morocco.

Yours hopefully...

Jean

Jean

A few years ago JY did a tour called East Coastliner tour, which I went on that was the area your wanting.....I must admit I had a great time, I love the history if the civil war and history about Martin Luther King etc, so I had great fun.

Cindy

Jean77
  • (Member)
(Member)
'nixon' wrote:

'Jean77' wrote:

Hi Will

Yours hopefully...

Jean

Jean

A few years ago JY did a tour called East Coastliner tour, which I went on that was the area your wanting.....I must admit I had a great time, I love the history if the civil war and history about Martin Luther King etc, so I had great fun.

Cindy

Ah really? lucky you Cindy. Maybe they'll bring it back then. ;)

Jean

JY Will
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'cfreadiing' wrote:

How about some short trips to European Christmas markets?

that's the plan!

JY Will
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Jean77' wrote:

Hi Will

Yours hopefully...

Jean

Jean, maybe not in May, but maybe in September we will have something for you

JY Will
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'AELB' wrote:

Hi Will

With all this talk of Canada, you might've known I'd pitch in! Thanks for the suggestion of the Polar Bear trip on the other thread - I like the idea of travelling to that area but ironically not so keen about the bears! A schoolboy from Jersey (where I am) was very seriously injured and his best friend killed in an attack by a polar bear in Norway a couple of years ago so, beautiful though they are, I'm wary!

Re Eastern Canada - I did a version of this trip with Page & Moy in 2008 - it was my first experience of the JY/TS world and I was the only single traveller (then aged 42) in a large group of retired couples. They sort of adopted me and later admitted that they all thought I was an undercover trainee Tour Manager! It was a super trip and covered Toronto/Niagra/Ottowa/Quebec City and, the highlight for me, a day watching majestic minke, sperm and fin whales on a boat trip off Tadoussac. I think the trip was 8 nights and it was a great introduction to both Canada and accompanied holidays. I might even do it again if you put it back in the brochure (hint,hint...)

I'm also interested to hear about your plans for the Canadian Rockies trip. When I did it, it included the two day trip on the Rocky Mountaineer - truly amazing. My own suggestions for augmenting it would be to some how work in longer in Calgary (rather than just being picked up and taken straight to Bampf from the airport) and perhaps a longer or even standalone trip to Vancover Island. We had a couple of days there, and even that wasn't enough, but I think the current itinerary only includes a day trip?

Finally, not for me but blowing the trumpet for my little island - have you ever considered doing a 'Channel Island hopper' trip with a couple of nights in Jersey, Guernsey, Sark and Alderney? It might appeal to people who don't fancy Europe or long haul destinations?

Keep up the good work (if you want those stars....)

Mandy

Thanks for all your thoughts on Canada Mandy. First off, let me assure you that the polar bears trip is 100% safe. The bears are viewed from great big Tundra Buggies - it's nothing like that tragic incident in Norway.

We are talking to some companies inthe Channel Islands at the moment, not sure what the liklihood is - but it's being researched!

JY Will
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'the_baron1' wrote:

Hi Will,

The Canada one sounds great that Anne suggested. I did see it in the travelsphere brochure that my partner receives.

I did suggest to you a while ago the train journeys that travelsphere did in Switzerland, so hope you might be looking into them as well.

Going back to Canada, being a train jeek I am interested in the rail journey from Toronto, through the rockies to Vancouver. I know most tours for the rocky mountaineer start in Calgery and finish with an Alaskan cruise. Being a sailor for 35 years a cruise does not intrest me! Hope you might look into this sort of rail holiday.

Eric

Switzerland is an area we are looking at. It's quite expensive in general, but we are looking to see if we can do anything worthwhile!

The train journey looks pretty special, I think the interest may be a little bit niche at the moment though - but who knows for the future!

Gwyn
  • (Member)
(Member)
I'm a bit of a one trick pony and would like to raise (again) the matter of holidays in the school holidays. I don't want to repeat the arguments for and against - but please remember us!

I would love a Vienna city break.

I would also love it if JY sometimes tweaked old favourites. For instance, I would consider a 3rd Apulia booking if the holiday was tweaked - say a day in Bari, likewise the Austrian Lakes which is still going to exactly the same places as in 2009 when I first did the holiday.

I do LOVE JY holidays, and the way you ask for comments and listen to them. Keep up the good work (can you tell I've been writing mid year reports recently?).