Suitsya
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
hi 

I'm not to keen on the drive experience from the midlands to Heathrow. Anyone have any alternative tried and tested ideas?? 

Regards

S

RogertheRed
(Member)
Not sure where you are in the midlands, but from a mainline station into Euston take the underground to Heathrow, only one change at Green Park. Its about an hour on the tube. Travelling from the northwest it works for me.

Regards,

Roger

TonyW
  • (Member)
(Member)
KHi S

I travel from Birmingham and use National Express coaches. I pay for a old fogies pass and get a cheaper ticket.

Regards

TonyW

AbbaDave
(Member)
Hi

I've always used National Express from Birmingham straight to central bus station easy access from there to all terminals if need a hotel b4 or after your flight there are several along the Bath Road etc

Dave

PeterG
(Member)
I usually use National Express from Nottingham to Heathrow as it's only about £30 each way(the taxi into town costs about £16) and takes about 3hr 40mins, but if it needs an overnight stay for an early flight I will drive and park at the hotel.

In fact my return ticket for my next trip to Jordan in October has cost £54. I did once use a taxi from home to Heathrow for an extremely early flight (I was picked up about 2.30am) and it cost £130.

On return from my last holiday (The Galapagos) I got off the plane at Heathrow at 3.55pm and caught the 4.40pm coach to Nottingham - in fact I had a 15 minute wait before it arrived as we got through passport control and baggage reclaim so fast.

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Suitsya

I live in the Midlands and if I can't fly direct from Birmingham or Manchester then I use National Express.  It is a long day and sometimes you have to travel the day before or the day after depending on flight times but no way will I tackle the tube with suitcases!!

Cost varies but if I book early enough I can usually do the return trip for under £60 (excluding hotels obviously).

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Suitsya,

I live in the Midlands, just a few miles north of Birmingham. I’ve travelled to Heathrow for all bar one of my numerous JY holidays and have either driven myself or used National Express. My last experience of National Express (last August) was so horrendous that I never want to use them again, but I guess other people may have a different view.

As for flying down to Heathrow - I wish! There are no connecting flights from Birmingham to Heathrow so you’re faced with the choice of road or rail. And if, like me, you don’t fancy hauling your luggage on/off trains then you've no alternative but to travel by road. Of course, as Rose1999 says, taking a taxi is the most stress-free alternative but it is expensive. You may wish to compare that against the cost of fuel and car parking, and potentially the cost of an overnight stay and decide if it’s worth it. I guess you pays your money and takes your pick.

Cheers

Mike

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Suitsya

One other alternative which I found though necessity when National Express changed my coach time to an impossible one in terms of catching my flight.  I got the train to Euston (found an incredibly cheap fare) and booked a Blackberry car from Euston to Heathrow approx. £30.  As I only changed once on the train, the suitcase was a nuisance but not impossible.

Regards