Jackie36
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi

I'm going on the Giverny weekend in a few weeks & would be interested in knowing whether vegetarian options are available in most restaurants?

Jackie36
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
As a follow up to this which may be of interest to any other vegetarians considering this trip vegetarian options were not available in the restaurants for the included meals. However there was an option in the additional excursion to Paris. I found it very difficult in terms of meals & did feed this back. Essentially the option is one of the meat options without the meat! One pub we went to offered a veggie burger which was a hash brown in a bap! I managed as the buffet breakfast in the hotel was excellent & it was a short trip.
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
I have travelled the world with JY and I have come unstuck with various included meals on JY tours, if I can I try to pack some pasta pack meals so if need be I can boil a kettle if there’s one in the room and have something...

I have also been dished up some really strange meals as a replacement many inedible.

My diet is my problem and I won’t starve if I have to miss a couple of meals....there’s always snacks and chocolate if all else fails!

Cindy

sjm533
(Member)
'nixon' wrote:

I have travelled the world with JY and I have come unstuck with various included meals on JY tours, if I can I try to pack some pasta pack meals so if need be I can boil a kettle if there’s one in the room and have something...

I have also been dished up some really strange meals as a replacement many inedible.

My diet is my problem and I won’t starve if I have to miss a couple of meals....there’s always snacks and chocolate if all else fails!

Cindy

Hi Cindy

How refreshing to read that you say your diet is your problem and not for every one else.  Recently there was someone in a local pub/restaurant who I thought was going to have heart attack because there was not a vegan option on the menu.  It did have vegetarian options.

There are a few things I cannot eat, and usually I can order something else.  If it appears on a “take it or leave it” I decide the risk there and then what to do.  But to be honest, I have never had any problem with JY’s meals, too much of a decision sometimes but that is a different problem!

Sylvia

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Things have improved a lot with vegetarian meals since I started travelling in 1979! Even in 1980s it was very hard to get anything apart from salad and chips (chips may have not been fried in vegetarian oil!) There were omelettes if you ate eggs. Now most places have some vegetarian choices but there is still a long way to go. Like Cindy I am not too bothered if I miss a few meals and like she says there is always snacks and chocolates if all else fails!
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Ksjm533' wrote:

'nixon' wrote:

Cindy

Hi Cindy

How refreshing to read that you say your diet is your problem and not for every one else.  Recently there was someone in a local pub/restaurant who I thought was going to have heart attack because there was not a vegan option on the menu.  It did have vegetarian options.

There are a few things I cannot eat, and usually I can order something else.  If it appears on a “take it or leave it” I decide the risk there and then what to do.  But to be honest, I have never had any problem with JY’s meals, too much of a decision sometimes but that is a different problem!

Sylvia

Sylvia

Thank you....I actually find USA one of the hardest countries to eat well in...as I said it’s my choice to be like this, obviously if I had a actual dietary disorder it would be a different matter..

SarahS
(Member)
Well said Cindy. I’ve noticed more and more JY travellers stating  preferences rather than genuine dietary requirements at mealtimes, as an excuse to have something that wasn’t a menu option.  The classic was “ I don’t eat Asian food” on a tour of Burma where the itinerary stated that lunches, and very good they were, would be taken in local restaurants. I’ve even heard  one harassed tour manager ask a guest “well what can you eat then”.  Is it any wonder that JY are removing included meals from so many tours?
lesley07
(Member)
Hi

Just to play devils advocate, I feel if you have paid for included meals then there should be an option you can eat!

Lesley

andydurrant
(Member)
One thing no-one can accuse me of is being a fussy eater! I'm on the seafood diet,see food and eat it! My late parents both remembered rationing and I think they instilled an eat what you can, when you can mentality into me!