Katiae
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello

I am going on the Croatian Coastal Explorer trip in May and haven't got a clue how much spending money to take!  Can anyone advise please?  Thanks in advance

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi Katiae

I work out my spending money by deciding how much I want to spend each day and times it by the amount of days on holiday. With a back up of credit and debit cards plus some Sterling and/or Euros. You should have a look at the itinerary to see what meals are included etc to assist with budgeting.

Have a great trip.

Sylvia

RaeW
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Katiae' wrote:

Hello

I am going on the Croatian Coastal Explorer trip in May and haven't got a clue how much spending money to take!  Can anyone advise please?  Thanks in advance

Hello again Katiae,

I have been trying to work that out too! The other 8 day holidays I've been on with JY have been half board and I seem to have spent an average of £40 a day between lunches, drinks and shopping. As we probably don't know when we will use Kuna again we don't want to have too much. It does say in the information that the local Tour Manager will be able to assist us in locating cash machine facilities. 

Are you staying over at Stansted? If so and would like to meet up for Dinner I will ask the Moderator to forward my email address to you. It will have to be an early meal as we have to be up at the crack of dawn the next morning!

Rae [Rachel]

AnnF
  • (Member)
(Member)
I went on the Adriatic Coastal Explorer last September - similar itinerary, I think, but different ship. I can't remember how much I spent - I don't buy postcards and only one or two very small souvenirs for myself but did have some meals out and of course left tips for the crew and TM - but my account book shows that I originally bought £250-worth of kuna in the UK (I don't have a note of how much, if any, I cashed back in afterwards). However, I did take my Euro currency card with me to use in ATMs if necessary. Apart from one very small port all the other places we called at had one or more ATMs, sometimes tucked away in a side street. In the big ports there were also currency exchange shops which gave a good rate (better than in the UK, in fact). If you don't want to take a lot of kuna with you, you can either use a Euro currency card in an ATM or change euros or pounds at an exchange as long as you plan ahead so as not to "run out" at or on the way to the very small port (whose name I have forgotten).

I hope this will help. Have a lovely holiday - I thoroughly enjoyed mine - but don't forget to pack some travel sickness tablets in case of rough weather.

Ann

RaeW
  • (Member)
(Member)
'AnnF' wrote:

I went on the Adriatic Coastal Explorer last September - similar itinerary, I think, but different ship.   I can't remember how much I spent - I don't buy postcards and only one or two very small souvenirs for myself but did have some meals out and of course left tips for the crew and TM - but my account book shows that I originally bought £250-worth of kuna in the UK (I don't have a note of how much, if any, I cashed back in afterwards).   However, I did take my Euro currency card with me to use in ATMs if necessary.   Apart from one very small port all the other places we called at had one or more ATMs, sometimes tucked away in a side street.   In the big ports there were also currency exchange shops which gave a good rate (better than in the UK, in fact).   If you don't want to take a lot of kuna with you, you can either use a Euro currency card in an ATM or change euros or pounds at an exchange as long as you plan ahead so as not to "run out" at or on the way to the very small port (whose name I have forgotten).

I hope this will help.   Have a lovely holiday - I thoroughly enjoyed mine - but don't forget to pack some travel sickness tablets in case of rough weather.

Ann

Thank you, Ann, that is very helpful re the currency and the rough weather advice. It's a long time since I was on a small ship and the movement is very different from a larger ship. Will go prepared, thank you!

Rae

Katiae
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'SylviaJ' wrote:

Hi Katiae

I work out my spending money by deciding how much I want  to spend each day and times it by the amount of days on holiday.  With a back up of credit and debit cards plus some Sterling and/or Euros.  You should have a look at the itinerary to see what meals are included etc to assist with budgeting.  

Have a great trip.

Sylvia

Thanks for the advice Sylvia x

Katiae
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'RaeW' wrote:

'Katiae' wrote:

Hello

Hello again Katiae,

I have been trying to work that out too! The other 8 day holidays I've been on with JY have been half board and I seem to have spent an average of £40 a day between lunches, drinks and shopping. As we probably don't know when we will use Kuna again we don't want to have too much. It does say in the information that the local Tour Manager will be able to assist us in locating cash machine facilities. 

Are you staying over at Stansted? If so and would like to meet up for Dinner I will ask the Moderator to forward my email address to you. It will have to be an early meal as we have to be up at the crack of dawn the next morning!

Rae [Rachel]

Hi Rae

Thanks for your response.  The bit in the information about there being not too many cash machines about worried me a bit as, like you say, I don't want to take too many Kuna.  I need to check out the info again.  I am actually flying from Bristol but thank you for the suggestion of dinner, that would have been good.  See you in May - not long now! x

Katiae
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'AnnF' wrote:

I went on the Adriatic Coastal Explorer last September - similar itinerary, I think, but different ship.   I can't remember how much I spent - I don't buy postcards and only one or two very small souvenirs for myself but did have some meals out and of course left tips for the crew and TM - but my account book shows that I originally bought £250-worth of kuna in the UK (I don't have a note of how much, if any, I cashed back in afterwards).   However, I did take my Euro currency card with me to use in ATMs if necessary.   Apart from one very small port all the other places we called at had one or more ATMs, sometimes tucked away in a side street.   In the big ports there were also currency exchange shops which gave a good rate (better than in the UK, in fact).   If you don't want to take a lot of kuna with you, you can either use a Euro currency card in an ATM or change euros or pounds at an exchange as long as you plan ahead so as not to "run out" at or on the way to the very small port (whose name I have forgotten).

I hope this will help.   Have a lovely holiday - I thoroughly enjoyed mine - but don't forget to pack some travel sickness tablets in case of rough weather.

Ann

Thanks Ann.  Some great advice.  Hope I won't need travel sickness tabs! x