Jaya
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thought forum members may find the following useful:

Additional security measures for unspecified flights

Important announcement regarding new security regulations for clients travelling to the US, UK and globally

The US Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has advised of additional security procedures for travellers flying into the United States. The new security regulations have been put in place at airports globally with direct flights to the US. Local airports within the UK have increased security measures on some non US routes as well both in and out of the UK. Travellers with electronically powered devices such as mobile telephones, tablets, laptops and e-books, may be required to turn their devices on in front of airport security in order to demonstrate the item’s functionality. If the equipment does not turn on when asked, for example if the device has a flat battery or is broken, passengers may have their devices seized by airport security or they may not be allowed to travel on their flight. This is a developing situation as airports globally respond to these new security regulations. Please contact your local airport for further information before travelling.

Who does this affect?

The new security measures affect all travellers flying to the US, and some non US routes to and from the UK. Travellers must be prepared to have their devices searched.

What should I do?

Please ensure all electronically or battery powered items are fully powered before you arrive at the airport. If you are travelling to the US on a transfer flight, particularly if you are travelling long-haul, please use your battery sparingly on the first part of your journey. Do not carry any broken devices in your hand luggage as you may not be allowed to travel.

What happens if my device has no power?

You will not be able to place any devices in hand or hold luggage, the device will either have to be left behind for collection on your return, forwarded to an address of your choice, or you will have to rebook an alternative flight. There will be limited facilities at airports to charge your device from so please do all you can to ensure your device is fully powered before arriving at the airport. US officials have singled out security screening on direct flights to the US from Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

The UK’s Department for Transport (DfT) has advised that “In line with the US advice, passengers on some routes into and out of the UK may now also be required to show that electronic devices in their hand luggage are powered up or face not being allowed to bring the device onto the aircraft.”

Passengers flying into or out of the UK on any route (US and non US) are therefore advised to ensure any electronic devices are charged before they travel.

Regards

Jaya[/b]

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jaya,

Excellent article. May I suggest another little device that I always carry with me when going abroad - it is called a Powertraveller Powermonkey and you can get it on Amazon. It provides a power boost to your phone, ipod etc. etc. when you are "on the go". You need to charge it up beforehand but you always have that extra boost should you need it. It comes with all sorts of adaptors - I gather from reviews maybe not one for the iphone5 which you have to get seperately.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Hils

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Good posting Jaya

I have spoken to my friend who is high up on security at LHR and she confirms as long as things are charged there shouldn't be a problem the press have seemed to gone overboard on this issue she thinks. Everything I take with me is fully charged in going, and I top it all up along the journey as well.

Cindy

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hils

I always travel with a PowerMonkey and have found it invaluable for my iPad, Kindle, phone, blackberry and a million other devices which I seem to collect. It's a shame it doesn't do SLR batteries as well, but I guess you can't have everything!

Sally

Jaya
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Cindy

I think not everyone knows that your equipment should be charged. There may be some people who may use one of their equipments a lot whilst waiting for the flight and battery may run very low when they board, hence the warning!! Actually I too did not know anything about this though I only have my phone and camera with me, which are fully charged. I used to take the work blackberry as well, but not any more as want a proper holiday! Sally and Hils thanks for letting me know about the PowerMonkey as I had never heard of this before too. I don't think I am very technology savvy!

Jaya

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Cindy

I think not everyone knows that your equipment should be charged. There may be some people who may use one of their equipments a lot whilst waiting for the flight and battery may run very low when they board, hence the warning!! Actually I too did not know anything about this though I only have my phone and camera with me, which are fully charged. I used to take the work blackberry as well, but not any more as want a proper holiday! Sally and Hils thanks for letting me know about the PowerMonkey as I had never heard of this before too. I don't think I am very technology savvy!

Jaya

Jaya

I like my holiday to be without my gadgets, My mobile phone is so old it doesn't even take pictures let alone gain emails internet etc, Most countries it doesn't work so only used till getting on the plane and when I land. it's nice to get away from a certain amount of technology for a couple of weeks. LOL..

Cindy

ElsieT
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Cindy

My Phone must be from a similar era! Once I leave europe the only use I have for it is as an alarm clock until I return home

Elsie

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'ElsieT' wrote:

Hi Cindy

My Phone must be from a similar era! Once I leave europe the only use I have for it is as an alarm clock until I return home

Elsie

Elsie

Your comment did make me laugh, as mine to makes an excellent alarm clock!..so it DOES:thumbup: have a use!

Cindy

saraa
  • (Member)
(Member)
Jaya! Heads off to you my friends. Nice suggestion that you have shared there. In these days my entire family also panning their USA trip. I am little confused that which points if interests will be suitable for their visit. If you have a knowledge about it do solve my issue then my family can easily plan a visit to USA. I am waiting fro your reply.
DavidG
  • (Member)
(Member)
Security problems entering USA always amuse me. The last time I went was about 10 days after 9/11. We were advised to allow an extra hour for security at Heathrow and to expect long delays at the other end. In the event, we breezed through both going and coming back! My wife had a shopping spree and brought several carry-on itms as cabin baggage but were waved through without any problem.

Expect it will be slightly different when I go with JY on October!

Jaya
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Sara

Unfortunately I have not been to USA for years. The only parts I have visited are Florida and Boston. USA is a huge country and it all depends on which part your family is planning to visit. Why not have a look at Just You brochure to give you ideas about what is there to see as they offer quite a few holidays to the USA?

Regards

Jaya