turnke
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Most of the large cities in the US already have a lot of information available, either guidebooks,DVDs or TV programmes like Billy Connolly's Route 66. For the less well known,to me,places like Wyoming,South Dakota and Utah, I have found that the visitor's centers for the above states where very good at sending information by post.(I would rather have a paper copy than looking online,if possible.)

Always allow plenty of time,before your trip,for the information to be sent. Wyoming,and some others,have offices in the UK,which means the information arrives quicker.

I am going on the Chicago to New Orleans trip,in November,having been to Chicago and St Louis before, I requested information from Memphis and New Orleans.I received a brochure from Memphis within a week and New Orleans within two.Although it is not in New Orleans,their brochure included details of the Oak Alley Plantation,one of the excursions.

Amazon sell a book by Richard Knight called The Blues Highway,which does the same journey from New Orleans to Chicago,but.as the chapters are on a state by state basis,it is easy to find what you want.

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Turnke,

http://www.justyou.co.uk/forum/thread-59150.html 

All great cities we visit, I love Chicago been many times, also been to St Louis and Memphis (always said i want to go visit Beale st again) and New Orleans is my bucket list of places to visit.

Did you see the Stephen Fry in America programme on TV a few years back. In 6 episodes he visited every state driving around in a Taxi. In episode 3 did our trip in reverse folowing the Mississippi from New Orleans to Chicago.

Don't know where you are travelling from but at least a couple of us have got a hotel/parking deal at Heathrow the night before and will be meeting for a meal and a couple of beers.

Mick

turnke
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Mick wrote:

Hi Turnke,

All great cities we visit, I love Chicago been many times, also been to St Louis and Memphis (always said i want to go visit Beale st again) and New Orleans is my bucket list of places to visit.

Did you see the Stephen Fry in America programme on TV a few years back. In 6 episodes he visited every state driving around in a Taxi. In episode 3 did our trip in reverse folowing the Mississippi from New Orleans to Chicago.

Don't know where you are travelling from but at least a couple of us have got a hotel/parking deal at Heathrow the night before and will be meeting for a meal and a couple of beers.

Mick

Hi Mick

I am on the 3/11 departure,but,I live close to Heathrow so I will be travelling there on the Monday morning.I follow the National Hockey League and baseball,and have seen hockey in both Chicago and St.Louis ,next season's schedule is out in July so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to see a game or two.

I am more of a country music fan but,can appreciate most of the other types of music, particularly if it is live.

This will be my fourth Just You trip,like you I have been on Route 66 and the National Parks Little Big Horn trips,and I have read your blog with interest.The last trip I was on was the Alpha Hawaii, in October.

I look forward to seeing you in November and reading more on your blog.

Keith

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
'turnke' wrote:

'Mick wrote:

Hi Turnke,

Mick

Hi Mick

I am on the 3/11 departure,but,I live close to Heathrow so I will be travelling there on the Monday morning.I follow the National Hockey League and baseball,and have seen hockey in both Chicago and St.Louis ,next season's schedule is out in July so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to see a game or two.

I am more of a country music fan but,can appreciate most of the other types of music, particularly if it is live.

This will be my fourth Just You trip,like you I have been on Route 66 and the National Parks Little Big Horn trips,and I have read your blog with interest.The last trip I was on was the Alpha Hawaii, in October.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Did go see the Blackhawks on one trip to Chicago (against Vancouver) but was a few years ago and enjoyed it. Still trying to work out why they gave us a free blackhawks umbrella when we entered the indoor "united centre" stadium (still got it).

Myself I'm a big Blues music fan so will be visiting a few Clubs in each city, some late nights I suspect, will catch up with sleep on the coach.

see you in november.

Mick

turnke
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Mick wrote:

'turnke' wrote:

'Mick wrote:

Hi Turnke,

Mick

Hi Mick

Keith

Hi Keith,

Did go see the Blackhawks on one trip to Chicago (against Vancouver) but was a few years ago and enjoyed it. Still trying to work out why they gave us a free blackhawks umbrella when we entered the indoor "united centre" stadium (still got it).

Myself I'm a big Blues music fan so will be visiting a few Clubs in each city, some late nights I suspect, will catch up with sleep on the coach.

see you in november.

Mick

Hi Mick,American sports teams have sponsored giveaways at some of their games,it depends on the team,Chicago are one of the teams which have a lot,probably the most generous.I have been to the United Centre before,the previous arena is now the car park.The St.Louis arena has been in the downtown area for sometime,but,keeps changing the sponsors so the name changes every few years.I am interested in going to the clubs that you recommend,but,I doubt that I will have your stamina for the late nights.

Keith