mogwilover
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
As a Type 1 diabetic for over 50 years, access to health care is something I always check on very carefully. The European Health Insurance Card is a must for most people travelling to Europe with or without a chronic condition. I was looking for the web site today, then checked to see if I could find it in any of the community threads. I apologise if I missed the fact it was here, but I could not find it.

Beware of sites that charge you to get the card, here is the NHS site where you apply and obtain one free. you will need your NHS number to apply but if you do not know it - then ask your GP practice.

Treatment is not always free with this, but is often much cheaper. So if you have to pay the bill and then apply to your insurance company. for reimbursement, the drain on your holiday finances is much less.

https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/startApplication.do 

Liz

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Liz, this is a great post - many thanks! I've had a couple of EHICs over the years but your post has just reminded me to check mine - and it's expired!

Thanks again for a very important tip,

Bob

Bosuncat
(Member)
Very useful tip Liz. :thumbup:
nige0556
(Member)
Thanks for the reminder - haven't got a clue where mine is as it's years since I had a holiday in Europe so it must have expired, but as I'll be off to Italy in September (alone, not even JY, yikes), I finally got round to sorting out the EHIC - it only took a few evenings to find my NHS number in my easy filing system lol
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
The card does not take long to get to you. I recently applied to renew mine which had expired and got a new one within days. I nearly ordered it from a website which was charging a fee, but realised in time it was not the official NHS site!

Jaya

the_baron1
(Member)
Well done Liz in pointing this out to the community. As you state it is ~FREE but beware if you google it and there are loads of sites which will sell you one!

Thanks Eric.

Elaine 123
(Member)
'mogwilover' wrote:

As a Type 1 diabetic for over 50 years, access to health care is something I always check on very carefully. The European Health Insurance Card is a must for most people travelling to Europe with or without a chronic condition. I was looking for the web site today, then checked to see if I could find it in any of the community threads. I apologise if I missed the fact it was here, but I could not find it.

Beware of sites that charge you to get the card, here is the NHS site where you apply and obtain one free. you will need your NHS number to apply but if you do not know it - then ask your GP practice.

Treatment is not always free with this, but is often much cheaper. So if you have to pay the bill and then apply to your insurance company. for reimbursement, the drain on your holiday finances is much less.

Liz

Thank you for adding all this, I am going away in September, kept saying I must get one, I have now filled i the form

Elaine

davidj
  • (Member)
(Member)
It is also worth remembering that the UK has reciprocal health agreements with some countries outside Europe. These countries require different proofs of entitlement, You can check these from the following link.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/NonEEAcountries/Pages/Non-EEAcountries.aspx 

sjm533
  • (Member)
(Member)
'mogwilover' wrote:

Liz

Hi Liz,

The EHIC has been mentioned before but sometimes earlier threads are not always easy to find. Thanks for the timely reminder.

Sylvia

Timaru
  • (Member)
(Member)
I have just applied for an EHIC (having previously had the old E111) and I just wanted to point out that you don't need your NHS number to complete the application; they will also accept your National Insurance number.

Sharon

DouglasL
(Member)

It is also worth noting that, according to various reports in the press, that some hospitals etc in Europe will not recognise the European Health Card, so always better to have full insurance and declare, in advance, any medical conditions.

Douglas.