juliepmac
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I am thinking of your holiday to Slovenia , however reading some of the reviews from people that have already been I get the impression that there is a lot of walking in difficult places . I am reasonably fit but have knee & joint problems & find steep roads & high stone steps difficult . Last year on my holiday in Croatia which included tours to Montenegro & Bosnia there seemed to be endless walks over cobbled streets along with steep steps & paths . This resulted in knee problems for months after I returned home.

As I do not like holding other people up can you tell me what to expect  please.

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Julie,

There isn’t any specific intense walking on this trip. However, Kranjska Gora is back-dropped by the Julian Alps. So portions of the resort may be hilly.

The capital Ljubljana, will have cobbled streets and there is a castle on a hill, which is about a 10 minute walk. However I went there recently and there is also a funicular that will take you to the top and plenty of seating in the courtyard of the castle.

The walking tour around the city will be no more demanding then any other city walking tour and the Tour Manager will make sure to go at a pace that suits the whole group.

Many thanks,

Vickie

Bosuncat
(Member)
'Vickie' wrote:

Hi Julie,

There isn’t any specific intense walking on this trip. However, Kranjska Gora is back-dropped by the Julian Alps. So portions of the resort may be hilly.

The capital Ljubljana, will have cobbled streets and there is a castle on a hill, which is about a 10 minute walk. However I went there recently and there is also a funicular that will take you to the top and plenty of seating in the courtyard of the castle.  

The walking tour around the city will be no more demanding then any other city walking tour and the Tour Manager will make sure to go at a pace that suits the whole group.

Many thanks,

Vickie

Hi there.  I'm still hoping to do this tour, as it's many years since I have been in Kransjka  Gora and want to go back.  Like you I have problems with steps, etc and can quite understand what you mean about the Dubrovnik trip.  I struggled at times too.  Mind you I have a new hip now so if I went back things might be easier.

Right, this is from memory.  The village itself is in a bowl  formed by the surrounding mountains , and fairly flat walking as I remember.  I think the first morning you have a walking tour up to Lake Jasna which I would imagine would be on pathways although I cannot be sure.  The lake is man made and it was 1991 when I was last in the village, and they were only just starting to form it then.   🙂 

Bled and Bohinji.   I don't know what your itinerary will be for both, but if it follows the norm for Bled you will go across the lake at Bled to the island.  The path up to the chapel is fairly steep (I didn't do it last time).  The walk round the lake is flat and easy.  Yes there are steeper bits and steps in the town but no cobbles!  As for Bohinji again the itinerary would probably mean going on an electric boat across the lake which is lovely and peaceful.  I know that there is a bit of a steep path up to the lift for Mount Vogel but I've never done it as the lift has always been closed whenever I have been.

Vickie is pretty much right about Ljubljana (great city).  I can't really remember any cobbles, but we were only on a very brief visit on our way to the coast, and spent our time down by the 5 bridges, although one of the gentlemen went on the funicular up to the Castle.  

I'll have another look at the itinerary and come back if I recognise anything else.  I will only say that the village is a couple of thousand feet up in the mountains so pack for all eventualities, but I wouldn't think big walking boots would be needed unless you were planning a little trek on your own.   🙂