Jaya
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
What an amazing Tour.  This truly was a wonderful holiday, made even more memorable by our Tour Manager, Patrick Twomey and the local guides.  Patrick is truly a great TM and has an amazing knowledge of South America.  One could not wish for a better TM for this inaugural tour.  There were 15 of us - 14 female and one male.

We had a long wait at Bogota Airport since the onward flight to Quito was delayed.  On arrival in Quito, Patrick took us on a short orientation tour of Quito followed by lunch.  We took taxis back to the hotel.  Cost of each taxi was only $3-4.  Unfortunately a lot of us either suffered from a virus or altitude sickness - it was hard to tell as the symptoms for both are very similar.  I had a 24 hour virus, which meant I had to miss the colourful fresh fruit and vegetables market and the historical tour of Quito on Day 3.  I think 3 of us decided not to go and a couple of ladies had to be brought back to the hotel as they started feeling ill.

We were given holdalls to use for our one night stay in Mindo and for Galapagos, which made life a lot easier!  On the way to Mindo cloud forest on day 4, we first stopped to see the hummingbirds followed by a visit to the butterfly garden.  We did not visit the orchid park as apparently most of them were not in bloom.  It was raining when we visited the working chocolate farm.  It was interesting to find out how chocolate was made from the cocoa beans and the best bit was tasting the chocolate and we were also given a slice of gooey chocolate brownie made from their own chocolate at the end.  It was really delicious.  In the evening we went to Lago Mindo to 'hunt' for the frogs.  It was raining a bit and we only saw 2-3 frogs.  The next day we had a chance to walk through the cloud forest before leaving for Quito.  On the way we posed for a photo on the Equator Line.  Mauro, our local guide briefed us on Galapagos on the way to Quito.

On day 6 we flew to Santa Cruz Island.  All luggage is checked so best not to lock the holdalls.  It is very safe and nothing went missing.  On arrival we had a short boat journey to the pier where the coach was waiting to take us to the ranch where we first had lunch and then went in search of giant tortoises.  We were not disappointed and saw several.  In the evening transport was provided for those wishing to go to Peurto Ayora for dinner or just look around.  It was easy to walk there and back.  I did not want any dinner and walked there with Lesley.  We first visited the harbour to see the sea lions who had already occupied the benches!  We then strolled around the town before walking back to the hotel.

On day 7 we transferred by boat to Isabela Island.  The journey, which was around 2 hours was very pleasant.  We first visited the tortoise breeding centre followed by a visit to the wetland where we were lucky to see the pink flamingos and pintail ducks.  After lunch, those of us who had booked the optional excursion went to Tintoreras.  First we had a short hike where we saw marine iguanas, sea turtles, sharks, rays and then it was time to snorkel.  Unfortunately for me, it was a disaster!  The first hurdle for me was jumping in the water from the boat.  I think my mask was loose and water kept getting in so I was in a bit of a panic and gave up.  Patrick did his best to guide me, but without success!  I am pleased to report that I did master snorkelling from the beach before we went to Kickers Rock on day 11.

On day 8 we hiked up the Sierra Negra volcano to see the massive calder.  We were very lucky with the weather.  It remained cloudy all the way up and down.  It would have been a 'torture' if the sun was out!  On day 9 some of us had a morning of leisure whilst some went snorkelling to Los Tuneles.  Apparently this optional excursion did not only involve snorkelling - there was a hike as well.  Perhaps description needs to be changed as maybe some of us who did not go would have done so.  There were some who came on the optional excursion to Tintoreras and did not snorkel.  Those who did not go on the optional excursion walked up to the harbour where we saw penguins, pelicans, sea lions and swimming iguanas.  It was very relaxing to watch the wild life.

First thing on Day 10 we visited the Charles Darwin Research Station where we saw the preserved body of Lonesome George.  We also saw different species of giant tortoises.  On the way to the restaurant where we were having lunch, we saw a gathering of pelicans and one lone heron who were waiting to be fed with fish heads!  A couple of women were gutting the fish and feeding the heads to the waiting birds.  It was amusing to watch this spectacle.  After lunch we travelled by boat to San Cristobal - the island of sea lions.  They were everywhere!  Day 11 was a cruise along the coast before heading to Kicker Rock.  First stop was at a beach where a couple of us had a go at snorkelling.  It was a lovely sandy beach and I personally enjoyed learning how to snorkel.  Lunch was served once we were back on the boat.  After lunch it was snorkelling at Kickers Rock - some of us not doing the snorkelling stayed on the boat.

We had a free morning on Day 12 before flying back to Quito.  A few of us went for a walk with Patrick.  We wanted to go to Frigatebird Hill but ended up on a beach!  It was a pleasant walk and we saw black marine iguanas basking in the sun on the beach.  We had flight delays, both from San Cristobal to Guayaquil and from Guayaquil to Quito.  From Guayaquil the delay was 6 hours.  Patrick was able to arrange for a coach and a local guide in Guayaquil and we were lucky to have a walking tour of Guayaquil (an added bonus).  We had dinner before heading back to the airport for our delayed flight.  We did not get to the hotel in Quito till 3.00 a.m. on Saturday morning (Day 13).  Despite this, apart from one person, we all departed at 09:30 for Otavalo.  The market was interesting full of colourful textiles, pottery, silver jewellery etc.  After visiting the market we had lunch in a local restaurant.  After lunch we visited several shops selling leather items and some of us picked up bargains!  In the evening we had a farewell dinner of tapas.

On day 14, before heading to the airport for our flights back home, Patrick had kindly arranged for us to take the cable car up to Pichincha.  We walked up to the viewing point where we had lovely views of Quito and the amazing thing was that there were swings right on top.  Some were brave enough to swing, whilst I was a bit timid and just sat on one!  We spent quite some time before taking the cable car back to the bottom and heading to the airport.  After checking in, we all went across the airport to the food hall to have some lunch.

Unfortunately our flight from Bogota to LHR was delayed by 2 hours.

Food was delicious, especially the soups and the portions were big.  Most hotels had fresh fruit juice available at Breakfast.  Breakfast in Mindo was served and not a buffet.  All hotels were good apart from Miconia in San Cristobal.  It was dreary and tired looking at first glance - we had arrived late evening but on the next day it did not look so bad!

I have done a brief review and may have missed certain things, which hopefully one of my fellow travellers will be able to add.

This truly was an amazing trip and for me personally it was a dream come true.

Best wishes

Jaya

Matt
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jaya

It sounds like you had an amazing time, I am very jealous.

Kind regards

Matt

intrepid traveller
(Member)
Hi Jaya, thanks for excellent review.  I only have one word. ‘WOW’
Peter G
(Member)
Thanks for the informative review Jaya. Can you confirm that the only currency required is US dollars or do we require the local currency as well. It whets my appetite for my May departure. You mentioned that some were ill (possible altitude sickness). Did anyone take medication with them for this problem? I have booked the Tintoreras trip but not the Los Tuneles one as it seemed to be more for snorkellers.

Glad you had a good time

Peter.

RogertheRed
(Member)
Hi Jaya,

An excellent review from you as usual. Glad you had a fantastic time.

Thanks for taking the time to write it. Hope to meet up with you again sometime. It's been a while since Namibia.

Regards,

Roger

SylviaJ
(Member)
Thanks Jaya for your review.  The only things I wish add for follow on travellers is the domestics:

Currency for Ecuador and Galapagos is US$.  Bogota has the Colombian Peso, but accepts US$.

At the Septimo Paraiso Hotel in Mindo, keys are placed on the reception desk and as your name is called, you randomly select a key.  Not all rooms were good.  I selected Room 24 which is a large cabin a walk away from the main Lodge.

The accommodation at Miconia Hotel on San Cristobal was absolutely awful, but apparently the "best" on the island.  At least the breakfast was fine.

For entry to Galapagos you have to pay $120 in cash.  We paid $20 to the local guide to obtain our Transit Control Card and $100 to Park Authorities at Baltra airport.  You receive a receipt for the $100 and your $20 two part Transit Control Card on arrival at Baltra.  Do not lose the Transit Control Card as one copy to be surrendered on departure from Galapagos.

The "duffle" bags are more like large sports bags and you don't have to do too much carrying of them.  They are each numbered so please remember your number of take a photo and check the zip is not broken before you pack! Your hold and hand luggage will be screened at Quito and Baltra airports.  Two travellers had to open their bags at Quito security screening, one for an unusual snorkel and the other a fizzy drink. At Baltra, hold luggage not to be removed before the sniffer dogs have done their work.

Travellers might like to take a couple of nail or tooth brushes to ensure footwear is free of mud, seeds etc.  I am not aware that any of our fellow travellers had their footwear examined but best to be safe....

I took walking shoes and walking sandals and asked the TM what footwear to use for any hikes.  

On San Cristobal bug spray for the vicious horse flies will be required.

On all islands, no toilet paper in the loo.  A receptacle is placed beside the loo.  Not all had lids - JY to be aware.

The majority of the group fell victim to the virus and/or altitude sickness from day 2 onwards, so be prepared with appropriate medication and hand wipes/sanitisers.

Lastly, I am not a swimmer but wanted to snorkel.  After a panic attack at Tintoreras, I was coaxed into the water and snorkelled for about 10 secs!  At Kicker Rock, you arrive at a beach where you can walk into the sea and practice snorkelling before arriving at the deep ocean.  Wet suits, flippers and flotation jacket provided and you can hold onto a ring in the sea whilst the local guide drags you around.  I spent an hour in the 83 metres  sea and enjoyed every minute of it!

Regards

Sylvia

SylviaJ
(Member)
PS. See Patrick Twomey's blog entitled "Ecuador & Galapagos - a tour!" on his website:

www.twomeytravel.com

Sylvia

PeterG
(Member)
'Peter G' wrote:

Thanks for the informative review Jaya. Can you confirm that the only currency required is US dollars or do we require the local currency as well. It whets my appetite for my May departure. You mentioned that some were ill (possible altitude sickness). Did anyone take medication with them for this problem? I have booked the Tintoreras  trip but not the Los Tuneles one as it seemed to be more for snorkellers.

Glad you had a good time

Peter.

The Equadoran currency is the US dollar, any change you get could be "proper" US dollars (usually notes), but coins are locally produced so need to be used while you are in Equador.

A few people were affected by the altitude, but the main cause of sickness seemed to be some sort of tummy bug, possibly made worse by the altitude. Once I had got over the "bug" the altitude caused me no problems, but whether you suffer from the altitude or not is a matter of your body's response and you won't know until you get there. 

As Jaya mentioned on the last morning we went up the cable car and were up at just over 4000m ( over 13000 ft) and if you took it steady walking around and uphill was not a problem for most.

Peter

RogerT
(Member)
Jaya,

When I saw in earlier threads that you were signed up for the inaugural Galapagos Tour I was hoping on your return you would post your usual good, thorough and enlightening Review. Glad to say you haven’t disappointed !

Galapagos has always been of interest to me because of its history and above all wildlife.

Having researched various itineraries there are a couple of reservations for me though, both of which you have picked up on.

Firstly, Quito and the altitude. A year ago I spent 3 days in the Costa Rica Cloud Forest at altitude and found it took time to acclimatise, especially at night. On the Ecuador part of this Tour much of it seems to be at a higher altitude than CR. Not quite a Mrs. May type of ‘red line’, but certainly a question mark. And then there’s always the humming birds (love ‘em) ...

Secondly, as good as the land based wildlife on Galapagos is, there is probably as much, if not more, to see under water. Having a ‘head under water’ phobia, I’m afraid snorkelling is a definite no, no for me.

From your recent experience Jaya, how do you think a non swimming, low altitude creature like me would get on ? ?

Roger

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Jaya

I am glad you had Patrick as your TM I have only ever heard great reports about him. Good for you doing the snorkelling, hope you saw some great things. Sorry to hear you were under the weather for a few days.sounds like you had a good tour despite the delays and a few niggles. Keep travelling.

Cindy

Jaya
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Peter G' wrote:

Thanks for the informative review Jaya. Can you confirm that the only currency required is US dollars or do we require the local currency as well. It whets my appetite for my May departure. You mentioned that some were ill (possible altitude sickness). Did anyone take medication with them for this problem? I have booked the Tintoreras  trip but not the Los Tuneles one as it seemed to be more for snorkellers.

Glad you had a good time

Peter.

Hi Peter

You do not need any other currency than US Dollars as they use US Dollars in both Ecuador and Galapagos.  Credit cards were accepted in all shops at Bogota Airport in case you wanted to purchase anything.  I am not sure if anyone took any medication especially for altitude sickness - I think most took medication for upset tummy.  I personally did not have any headaches - just vomiting and a bit of upset stomach.  I think most of us caught a virus from the plane or somewhere else along the way to Quito.  I recovered within 24 hours, a couple of them took 2 days or more.  I was told that Los Tuneles was not just for snorkellers as they did a hike as well.  If I had known then I too would have booked it as you do see wildlife on hikes.  You are going to have a wonderful time as this is truly an amazing tour.

Jaya
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Matt' wrote:

Hi Jaya

It sounds like you had an amazing time, I am very jealous.

Kind regards

Matt

You should definitely book this trip as it truly is an amazing tour

Best wishes

jaya

garside
(Member)
Well Jaya what more can anyone in the group say?

This was an amazing trip, the Galapagos was the high light of trip for me and the wildlife was fantastic. I met someone before the trip and he said that he was so disappointed with himself that he could not swim that he was too afraid to go into the water to see the fish, seal lions, sharks etc under water, there were people that could not swim or were afraid to get into the water in our group, can I assure you that the tour manager and guides helped and supported everyone who was afraid of the water to have the opportunity to get into the water with a life jackets and a life ring. Everyone was so happy to have had the opportunity of the skilled workers to assist them into the water it was such a wonderful experience. I had the opportunity to go under water into a cave with the assistance of one of the guides to photography and video sharks - truly fantastic. A good idea to take an underwater camera if you have one.

A few things I would like to say about the trip is that if anyone has a special diet it is not a problem I have food allergies along with other health conditions, but each place catered for my food allergies and there was always something for me to eat or the opportunity to have something different to eat.

The altitude did affect me as I have suffered from altitude sickness before but I had medication and it still affected me.

The currency is US dollars apart from when we landed in Columbia and they accepted dollars but gave change in their currency or you could use a card for payement.

Both trips - Tintoreras and Los Tuneless are well worth paying for and very enjoyable the experience of snorkling even if you have never snorkeld before is well worth going onto the trips.

Some of the rooms in the hotels are very basic and one hotel is very poor but we were advised of this before we went, on the other hand there is one hotel where some of the rooms open out onto the beach.

Expect to walk a lot on this trip and beware of the lava rocks they are very sharp.

It is worth taking a drinking vessel with you as you do require plenty of fluids and you do need to purchase water in Quito yourself. I would suggest high factor suntan lotion 30+ but 50 would be better the sun is so strong.

Patrick the tour manager was first class his knowledge of the area is first class. He gave the group advise on each days events, what was required from footwear - (a good pair of trainers is a must) to hats (another must) to what clothes to wear.

I would highly recommend this trip to anyone, it is expensive but it is a long way, we have speed boats to transport us to the islands do not fear the tender boats do not take you very far to the speed boats (which are beautiful), it is expensive to get over to the islands but it was a trip of a life time for me.

Jaya
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'RogertheRed' wrote:

Hi Jaya,

An excellent review from you as usual. Glad you had a fantastic time.

Thanks for taking the time to write it. Hope to meet up with you again sometime. It's been a while since Namibia.

Regards,

Roger

Thank you Roger.  Yes, it would be nice to meet up again.  I met Paula for the 4th time on this tour - she was in Namibia, Borneo, Costa Rica/Nicaragua and then on this trip.  It is always a surprise to see her as I never know beforehand!  I am off to Chile/Easter Islands next March (2 March) if you fancy this tour.  I know the price has shot up since it was first offered but I like the Itinerary and the reviews have been great.

Best wishes

Jaya

Peter G
(Member)
Thanks Jaya, Sylvia, RogerT,garside and Peter for all your advice and comments. I was surprised that non swimmers were helped with snorkelling. I shall have to wait and see if I am brave enough and if the guides are as helpful. I kept clear of the water at the Great barrier Reef on my recent Australia tour which was Amazing.

I have just booked for Borneo in September but it is not a guaranteed tour.

Peter

AbbaDave
(Member)
Great Review Jaya

Yes you'll enjoy Chile it was amazing and if Patrick can lead it all the better as cheeky as you are requesting him, ha ha

all the best Dave

garside
(Member)
'Peter G' wrote:

Thanks Jaya, Sylvia, RogerT,garside and Peter for all your advice and comments. I was surprised that non swimmers were helped with snorkelling. I shall have to wait and see if I am brave enough and if the guides are as helpful. I kept clear of the water at the Great barrier Reef on my recent Australia tour which was Amazing.

I have just booked for Borneo in September but it is not a guaranteed tour.

Peter

garside
(Member)
Please don’t be put off by not being able to swim. Have ago, the guides were first class and will support you, a life jacket and ring will be provided. As I said before my friend said his biggest regret was not going in the water. Try the beach first, the water is swallow. It would be a shame to go all that way and miss the spectacle sea life.
Jellifer
(Member)
Sounds like a great trip. Might be a stupid question but what happens to your main luggage when you are using the provided holdall bag?

Thanks

SylviaJ
(Member)
'Jellifer' wrote:

Sounds like a great trip. Might be a stupid question but what happens to your main luggage when you are using the provided holdall bag?

Thanks

Hi 

Not a stupid question at all!

The main luggage is stored securely at the hotel in Quito. You'll get a receipt.

Regards 

Sylvia