ItalyLover
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I’ve enjoyed the other reviews of Just You Christmas breaks and wanted to add my own of my second Just You Christmas trip - The Amalfi Coast at Christmas.

I chose this in particular as I haven’t seen this area of Italy before, the dates suited in not being away too long and I looked forward to the included excursions of Pompeii, Sorrento, Salerno, Ravello and Amalfi.

The bad first.  We flew into Rome airport rather than Naples as I understand the flight times suited better (37 coming from Heathrow, 3 from Stansted).  I didn’t appreciate it would be a 4+ hour transfer to our Hotel – actually, on that last Sunday before Christmas all the Italians seemed to be on that motorway “travelling to see Mama” as our Tour Manager, Sam, told us.  Chaotic food stop on the motorway couldn’t be helped.  We flew out of Heathrow at 7.15am, arriving at Rome airport at 10.50am, on to the coach at 11.30am and arriving at our hotel at 5pm.  That is a lot of travelling and a full day of our holiday “lost” (ditto on the return).  A 5 day break could be regarded as 3 days, frankly, as we were on the coach for 10am on the last day for our 5pm flight home.

The good – I really loved the hotel, I loved my room on the first floor with a balcony over the quiet street.  I found there was a great selection at breakfast and lots of different choices and courses for dinner.  The traditional Italian Christmas Eve and seven sorts of fish!  I think some of my fellow travellers weren’t as impressed as I was, but I thoroughly enjoyed every meal.  Staff at the hotel were terrific.  Entertaining music on Christmas Eve and Boxing day.  I’d highly recommend this hotel.

The excursions were good and, despite this being over Christmas, we found lots of places open for lunches and drinks at our various stops.   Our coach driver was excellent, full praise for his driving on those bendy Amalfi coast roads.  The views – oh gosh, those views - are to die for.  Our hotel in Minori was just a few steps from the sea, the weather was excellent.  Midnight Mass in Minori in Italian and fireworks leaving midnight mass on the seafront! The numerous Italian presepes (nativity scenes).  

Pompeii was extraordinary, an early start on that day (hotel opened for breakfast early) arriving at 10am and departing around 12 noon with aching feet on those cobbles ..  I know one of my fellow travellers was extremely disappointed to have missed this trip, but the other 39 of us met as arranged at 7.50am, and the coach didn’t leave until 8.15am in waiting for her.  Top tip – don’t be late!

As I mentioned above, this was a group of 40 which on paper looks huge, and I didn’t get to talk to everyone on the trip, but those I did talk to and spent time with I enjoyed.  Our tour manager, Sam, did an excellent job of keeping us informed and made a point of being available to anyone who might need his individual attention.  The hotel had a problem with my bar bill payment (!) which Sam sorted out (my payment didn’t go through, but I had paid, honest)!  Sam’s a good guy.

Highly recommended but, please, flights to Naples!

Vickie
(Member)
Hi ItalyLover,

Thank you for your review 🙂 I have passed your feedback regarding flights onto the team.

Many thanks,

Vickie

maria 36
(Member)
Great review. Thank-you.

As a member who went away for the first time at Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed it; I'm really interested in other options for the Christmas's ahead.

ItalyLover
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I'm loving Christmas away - this was my second trip with Just You; in 2017 I'd joined the Christmas in Croatia, in the Capital City of Zagreb. Such a beautiful City. The Cathedral in Amalfi on Christmas Eve was deserted, honestly, I was the only person in there (together with the two cleaners). Whereas the Cathedral in Zagreb was full - full! - of people, there to visit and see the Nativity set out and the locals going to Confession before Christmas Eve mass (which is televised from Zagreb Cathedral).

Loving Christmas away!