tashw
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Guys,

I’ve tried to be as lengthily descriptive as possible without too many spoilers, and I hope this helps those of you about to enjoy your hols with Just You. This was my 3rd JY trip, and definitely not going to be my last!

Day 1 – Arrived at Heathrow and met the JY rep at the BA check-in desks who advised me not to use the check-in machines, but to go to Group check-in desks. Got checked in and went through security ok. Once boarded on the plane, I discovered that JY people were all sitting together so we all met on the plane. When we landed in Zagreb, we were met at the airport by the famous ‘V’ (for Vladka) who was the best tour manager I’ve ever had on a Just You tour. The transfer from Zagreb to the resort took 3 hours. The hotel check-in was smooth and then we were off to settle in and make our way to dinner.

Day 2 – Day started with Opatija walking tour and chocolate tasting and then we had free time for lunch and sightseeing before transferring back to the hotel around 5pm.

Day 3 – Day started early with a 3 hour transfer to Plitvice Lakes. We stopped for lunch around 11:45am. Please do eat something or grab a sarnie or two for later, as there are no more ‘food breaks’ till dinner at 7:30pm. We walked around for 2.5 hours from one end of the park to the other. We did have some spills along the way but nothing major and all ages were able to keep up. Then we transferred back to the resort for dinner.

Day 4 – Transfer time today took about an hour and we had a nice easy walking tour of Pula, then a 20 minute transfer to Rovijn where you cant miss the wonderful Old Town and delicious ice-cream flavours. Enjoy lunch in your 1 hour free time as there are no more food breaks until dinner. We got back to the hotel around 3pm so most headed off for a late lunch at the local fish restaurant in Lovran which was dirt cheap. Langoustines plus sides plus bottle of wine set me back £20! Suffice to say most of ended up coming back here for lunches and dinners for the rest of the week.

Day 5 – Todays transfer to Ljubljana - which is in Slovenia so please take passport and Euros - took around 2.5 hours and we had an easy walking tour when we arrived. A 3-course lunch was included at a taverna and then we had 1.5 hours free time to wander around. This was the only day we had rain…more like spits and spots than actual rain and most of us just walked around as normal. Then we transferred back to the hotel.

Day 6 – Todays transfer was by boat and it took around 2.5 hours to get to the first island. There is an uphill steep 15 min walk, or you can get in a little van that takes you up to the top. We had a good walking tour and then returned to the boat. Then another hour to get to the second island and we had around 2 hours free time here and most people headed for the pebbled beach. You have to buy jelly shoes to walk on the beach and to swim with, else you risk getting stung by sea creatures. There are only man-made pebble or paved beaches, no sandy beaches.

Day 7 – Our transfer to Motuvun took 2 hours. This is not a strenuous day at all. There is light, easy uphill walking for 10 mins, the rest of the time you are on a bus. If you can do the Plitvice Lakes, you can do all the tours in this package. We had a walking tour, then around 1.5 hours free time for lunch and sight-seeing. We then went to the truffle farm and had some light bites, before transferring back to the hotel for 5pm.

Day 8 – After breakfast we left early to get to the airport where V checked us all in and said goodbye at the security gate.

Some additional/ personal notes

The coach usually departed early around 7:45am and got back around the same time in the evening, though some days were earlier/ later depending on traffic, distance etc. The coach stops approx. every 1.5 hours for comfort breaks (5-10 mins means for comfort, 15 mins means you can grab a coffee and cake/ sarnie to go, 20-30 mins means you can have a quick sit down meal but these longer breaks are rare).

At the hotel, the people who booked the standard room complained about the noise from the road and surrounding area, and asked for an upgrade to sea-view rooms. The sea-view room is worth it, for the views and for the quiet. In the bathroom, the bath tubs are a bit high and you need to hold on to the handles to get in and out. The AC in the room didn’t usually work but you can leave the terrace door open for a nice cool breeze, no mozzies in May apparently.

If you have a strict diet, get ready to have it (mostly) thrown out the window as there is not a lot of healthy options at the coach stops. It stops at roadside places with toilet facilities and you only have cheese sarnies, ham sarnies, muffins, cakes i.e. junk food. Those are your options at these places and that is out of anyone’s control. I am mentioning it so you are prepared.

On the flight out to Zagreb, BA ran out of food on the M&S cart so most people didn’t eat breaky till our first comfort stop outside Zagreb. The same happened on the way home. Apparently this is common when flying BA, I personally haven’t flown with them in about 5 years so was caught unawares, so please ensure you eat at the airport or purchase sarnies after security to take onboard. Do not rely on BA to provide you with paid/ free food/ drink on your short 2.5 hour flight.

Near the hotel, there are 2 supermarkets – one to the right and one to the left - where you can get food, drink, local wines and beers. Some of us enjoyed after dinner nightcaps around the pool or on our balconies.

Lastly, if you are a smoker like me, you can get cheap ciggies at any tobacconist. Whilst touring, you can also drop back behind the group to enjoy a ciggie whilst not disturbing your fellow travellers.  

Enjoy your hols, Croatia is amazing and I’m already planning my next holiday with JY.

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thank you for your comprehensive review. Croatia is on my radar as I have heard so many good things about it.

Regards

Jaya

Nicki47
(Member)
'tashw' wrote:

Hi Guys,

I’ve tried to be as lengthily descriptive as possible without too many spoilers, and I hope this helps those of you about to enjoy your hols with Just You. This was my 3rd JY trip, and definitely not going to be my last!

Day 1 – Arrived at Heathrow and met the JY rep at the BA check-in desks who advised me not to use the check-in machines, but to go to Group check-in desks. Got checked in and went through security ok. Once boarded on the plane, I discovered that JY people were all sitting together so we all met on the plane. When we landed in Zagreb, we were met at the airport by the famous ‘V’ (for Vladka) who was the best tour manager I’ve ever had on a Just You tour. The transfer from Zagreb to the resort took 3 hours. The hotel check-in was smooth and then we were off to settle in and make our way to dinner.

Day 2 – Day started with Opatija walking tour and chocolate tasting and then we had free time for lunch and sightseeing before transferring back to the hotel around 5pm.

Day 3 – Day started early with a 3 hour transfer to Plitvice Lakes. We stopped for lunch around 11:45am. Please do eat something or grab a sarnie or two for later, as there are no more ‘food breaks’ till dinner at 7:30pm. We walked around for 2.5 hours from one end of the park to the other. We did have some spills along the way but nothing major and all ages were able to keep up. Then we transferred back to the resort for dinner.

Day 4 – Transfer time today took about an hour and we had a nice easy walking tour of Pula, then a 20 minute transfer to Rovijn where you cant miss the wonderful Old Town and delicious ice-cream flavours. Enjoy lunch in your 1 hour free time as there are no more food breaks until dinner. We got back to the hotel around 3pm so most headed off for a late lunch at the local fish restaurant in Lovran which was dirt cheap. Langoustines plus sides plus bottle of wine set me back £20! Suffice to say most of ended up coming back here for lunches and dinners for the rest of the week.

Day 5 – Todays transfer to Ljubljana - which is in Slovenia so please take passport and Euros - took around 2.5 hours and we had an easy walking tour when we arrived. A 3-course lunch was included at a taverna and then we had 1.5 hours free time to wander around. This was the only day we had rain…more like spits and spots than actual rain and most of us just walked around as normal. Then we transferred back to the hotel.

Day 6 – Todays transfer was by boat and it took around 2.5 hours to get to the first island. There is an uphill steep 15 min walk, or you can get in a little van that takes you up to the top. We had a good walking tour and then returned to the boat. Then another hour to get to the second island and we had around 2 hours free time here and most people headed for the pebbled beach. You have to buy jelly shoes to walk on the beach and to swim with, else you risk getting stung by sea creatures. There are only man-made pebble or paved beaches, no sandy beaches.

Day 7 – Our transfer to Motuvun took 2 hours. This is not a strenuous day at all. There is light, easy uphill walking for 10 mins, the rest of the time you are on a bus. If you can do the Plitvice Lakes, you can do all the tours in this package. We had a walking tour, then around 1.5 hours free time for lunch and sight-seeing. We then went to the truffle farm and had some light bites, before transferring back to the hotel for 5pm.

Day 8 – After breakfast we left early to get to the airport where V checked us all in and said goodbye at the security gate.

The coach usually departed early around 7:45am and got back around the same time in the evening, though some days were earlier/ later depending on traffic, distance etc. The coach stops approx. every 1.5 hours for comfort breaks (5-10 mins means for comfort, 15 mins means you can grab a coffee and cake/ sarnie to go, 20-30 mins means you can have a quick sit down meal but these longer breaks are rare).

At the hotel, the people who booked the standard room complained about the noise from the road and surrounding area, and asked for an upgrade to sea-view rooms. The sea-view room is worth it, for the views and for the quiet. In the bathroom, the bath tubs are a bit high and you need to hold on to the handles to get in and out. The AC in the room didn’t usually work but you can leave the terrace door open for a nice cool breeze, no mozzies in May apparently.

If you have a strict diet, get ready to have it (mostly) thrown out the window as there is not a lot of healthy options at the coach stops. It stops at roadside places with toilet facilities and you only have cheese sarnies, ham sarnies, muffins, cakes i.e. junk food. Those are your options at these places and that is out of anyone’s control. I am mentioning it so you are prepared.

On the flight out to Zagreb, BA ran out of food on the M&S cart so most people didn’t eat breaky till our first comfort stop outside Zagreb. The same happened on the way home. Apparently this is common when flying BA, I personally haven’t flown with them in about 5 years so was caught unawares, so please ensure you eat at the airport or purchase sarnies after security to take onboard. Do not rely on BA to provide you with paid/ free food/ drink on your short 2.5 hour flight.

Near the hotel, there are 2 supermarkets – one to the right and one to the left - where you can get food, drink, local wines and beers. Some of us enjoyed after dinner nightcaps around the pool or on our balconies.

Lastly, if you are a smoker like me, you can get cheap ciggies at any tobacconist. Whilst touring, you can also drop back behind the group to enjoy a ciggie whilst not disturbing your fellow travellers.  

Enjoy your hols, Croatia is amazing and I’m already planning my next holiday with JY.

Thank you for your comprehensive review and great tips ... i.e. jelly shoes on the island boat tour. I'm going on this holiday on the 6th June, really looking forward to it.

Nicki

Bosuncat
(Member)
So pleased you had a great time.  Excellent review with some great pointers.  

I have had the pleasure of having "V" as my TM twice and she really is BRILLIANT.  :)

Greetings from a fellow smoker.  :)

I'm really pleased you enjoyed Croatia.  I have been many times and adore it.

DaveMorton
(Member)
Hello, everyone, and the omnipresent Bosuncat especially, me duck.

I've not much to add. The trip was superb and Vlatka absolutely outstanding, the Queen of Tour-guides. This is a lovely place to visit. Perhaps the one downside of having Lovran as the centre is that everywhere else is a long way to travel - hours to and from the airport, 150 miles to Plitvice, and even Pula not that close.

If I had to pick a stand-out day, it would be the boat trip to islands Cres and Krk.

My photos of the holiday are here on Flickr, and may be freely downloaded and used. Enjoy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/forwarddefensive/albums/72157667512402377 

Sue50
  • (Member)
(Member)
'tashw' wrote:

Hi Guys,

Hi There

I am going on this tour later in the year, and I wondered if you could confirm and clarify a few things.

You say that the coach for the excursions leaves at 7.45am, is this for every one, or just the Plitvice Lakes which I could understand.  Also for the Cres excursions it was my understanding that there was a BBQ on board is this case?

You describe the excursions as all walking tours, this concerns me a little as I do not mind walking but this is suppose to be a relax and discover holiday, so is there hours of actual walking around listening to a guide?

Lastly, can I ask which currency you took with you.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Sue

Bosuncat
(Member)
'DaveMorton' wrote:

Hello, everyone, and the omnipresent Bosuncat especially, me duck.

I've not much to add. The trip was superb and Vlatka absolutely outstanding, the Queen of Tour-guides. This is a lovely place to visit. Perhaps the one downside of having Lovran as the centre is that everywhere else is a long way to travel - hours to and from the airport, 150 miles to Plitvice, and even Pula not that close.

If I had to pick a stand-out day, it would be the boat trip to islands Cres and Krk.

My photos of the holiday are here on Flickr, and may be freely downloaded and used. Enjoy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/forwarddefensive/albums/72157667512402377 

Hi Dave.   😃   Glad you finally made it to Istria.  I am not omnipresent at the moment me duck because of health problems, and won't be travelling this year for certain.  :s

Lovran is nice, but I personally wish that JY would be in the position to relocate further up the Istrian coast.  I would love to see them go back to Rabac (I would be back like a shot, when I am fit again, if they did), or perhaps to Porec or Umag.  Having to use Zagreb airport again is a pain because of the lengthy transfer time (3hours).  It's a shame that Pula  does not have more convenient flights from the U.K.  

I agree.  The boat trip, and the great food on board is brilliant.  Lovely pics, and pleased that you got to meet "V".

Bosuncat
(Member)
'Sue50' wrote:

'tashw' wrote:

Hi Guys,

Hi There

I am going on this tour later in the year, and I wondered if you could confirm and clarify a few things.

You say that the coach for the excursions leaves at 7.45am, is this for every one, or just the Plitvice Lakes which I could understand.  Also for the Cres excursions it was my understanding that there was a BBQ on board is this case?

You describe the excursions as all walking tours, this concerns me a little as I do not mind walking but this is suppose to be a relax and discover holiday, so is there hours of actual walking around listening to a guide?

Lastly, can I ask which currency you took with you.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Sue

Hi Sue.  

It's been a couple of years since I last did this trip, and JY have changed the itinerary a bit, so I can only comment on the excursions I have done.  My walking was then, not brilliant, and still isn't but I managed okay.  

First of all the transfer to and from Zagreb is 3 hours, but you will get comfort stops.  The trip to Plitvice is quite long (haven't done it in years sadly),  and you will need comfortable walking shoes.  The lakes are amazing and it is a must do though.  It was an optional excursion when I went, and I am pleased that JY have now included it as part of the itinerary.  

Motovun is only a fairly short distance from Lovran, and Opatija is even closer.  I think that they would be classed as very leisurely excursions with a fair amount of free time.  

JY have shortened the trip to Pula, (it was a long day when I did it), and I think after a short visit to the amphitheatre you would probably have some free time in Pula, and in Rovinji the freedom is yours whether you go up to the church (quite slippery stones coming down), or stay in the town.  Lots of nice shops and views, and always somewhere to get a drink.  

The boat trip is great.  Yes to a bbq on board (meat or fish choice?), and the 2 islands are really nice.  Free time on Krk and the chance to get your feet in the water but do take some jelly shoes.  

For the trip to Lublijana in Slovenia which is optional, you will need a small supply of Euros as that is their currency.  I haven't done this trip ( not from Croatia anyway 🙂 ) but again I would imagine you would get some free time for lunch.  

The reviews on here are more up to date than mine and very useful.  Check out Dave's photos on Flickr.  He's a great photographer.  We met up in Spain last year, and had a laugh.  

The currency in Croatia is the kuna (you can get a supply before you go, but usually it has to be ordered at a bank).  There is a bank in Lovran (turn left coming out of the hotel) with an ATM.  Unless things have changed the hotel does not change money.  I liked the hotel, food was okay and the staff are generally friendly.  Do upgrade if you can to a seaview.  It's worth it.  

You would certainly not spend hours listening to a tour guide.  It's not been my experience on any of the JY holidays I have been on.  You are in very safe hands on this trip.   🙂

DaveMorton
(Member)
Hi Sue

It was a 7.45 start for the Plitvice Lakes, and also for the optional one to Ljublijana (which I didn't do). Not quite as early for Pula. We had the advantage of being a small group, meaning there was plenty of room inside a very comfortable coach, and with gorgeous countryside the trips didn't seem too bad - though Plitvice was like (say) London to Lands End.

The walking is not too strenuous, and the guides are aware that some of us aren't exactly in the first flush of youth. Commentary is via a Vox device which has an off-switch!

Opatija is a gorgeous little place, ten-minute coach drive. Easy to visit by bus on free days. The lunch on the Cres/Krk boat trip was superb (and not a BBQ), and the swimming at Cres fabulous, if that's your thing. My group didn't do the Motovun trip because we hadn't enough numbers to make it viable. 4 trips and 2 free days was about the right balance; perhaps 3 and 3 would have been better.

I took only £50 = 400 Kuna in local currency, and had plenty left over for tips at the end. Drinks in the hotel were expensive, but still only another £70 or so on my credit card for the week.

Do check out my photos (link in previous post) which include a very detailed day-by-day description, as well as just the pictures.