turnke
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Just returned from a great tour,thanks very much to tour director Jackie,driver Lou and a great group of fellow travelers.

The temperature was around 90 every day and most days we left the hotels at 8:30.

We arrived slightly early in Atlanta and stayed two nights at the Ellis Hotel.Problems with only one working lift,but,conveniently located for the Hard Rock Cafe,Hooters and a CVS to get drinks and snacks.

The next morning we went to the Martin Luther King National Park site, visiting his gravesite, as a part of a city tour.The afternoon was free,several of us visited Centennial Park built when the Olympics were held in Atlanta.In the evening, we walked a short distance to a restaurant for the welcome dinner.

On the Monday,we headed for Nashville,via Chattanooga, for a short tour before checking into our hotel. Later we headed for Broadway, where all the honky to know bars are located, some of us went to Nudies, before finding a restaurant.

Tuesday morning found us at RCA Studio B,where Elvis and many country stars recorded. A very interesting tour with pieces of music used to illustrate various types of recording,including an error on a Jim Reeves videoed recording session.Following the tour,we visited the Country Music Hall of Fame, which had a variety of exhibits, some permanent,featuring Country Music stars,from the beginning and some current.The afternoon and evening were free to explore Broadway again.Several singers,at the various bars,took requests and played a lot of well known songs.

On the road again, Wednesday found us in Alabama, on the way to Muscle Shoals,where we visited the Muscle Shoals Sound and Fame Studios,which have been used by The Rolling Stones and Aretha Franklin.

One room featured album covers recorded at the studios and included Lulu and Paul Anka,showing the diversity of the acts.We also visited the Alabama Music Hall of Fame,which featured acts either from Alabama,or,worked most of their career there.

On Thursday,we headed for Memphis,spending sometime in Tupelo, visiting Elvis’s birthplace which is well laid out.We were able to visit the family home, and the church where he started to sing.

Friday morning,we toured Sun Studios followed by Graceland,I had been 4 years before, and the area opposite the house has been improved in the meantime.The Graceland tour is very well done using an IPad to self guide yourself.

When I was in Memphis before,the trolleys had broken down,after 4 years they were running again,and free until mid May.Saturday was a free day,and several of us visited the Lorraine Hotel,where Martin Luther King was assassinated, and some of us went to the National Civil Rights Museum. Others went to the Gibson Guitar Museum.Everybody ended up on Beale Street for the various bars and restaurants.

The next day,we traveled down Route 61,The Blues Highway,to Natchez,where we visited Stanton Hall,an antebellum mansion.

We reached New Orleans at lunchtime on Monday,and had a walking tour through the French Quarter before going to the hotel.The next morning we had a city tour before some went on a tour through the bayous. In the evening,we had a dinner cruise on the Steamboat Natchez accompanied by The Dukes of Dixieland jazz band.

Back into Alabama,on Wednesday,to Mobile,where the Battleship Alabama is berthed in a military park.

The next day,we drove to Montgomery,the state capital,via Selma,which was featured in a recent film about the Civil Rights movement.There is a small interpretive centre near the Edmund Pettus bridge,which was the centre of the events there.

Friday was the final day, and before starting for the airport,some visited the Hank Williams or Rosa Parks museums.

One of the memories,for me,was walking in Mobile,when an amphibious duck stopped in the street and the passengers and crew sang Sweet Caroline with five of the group.

A great tour.

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Sounds like a great tour you had ...

I have visited many places you mentioned on various JY tours so bought back a few memories.

Thanks for writing a review.

Cindy

AbbaDave
(Member)
Hi, I really enjoyed reading your review, Thanks for posting, I think I would love these many musical bars, so glad you recommended this tour its on my ever growing list, and oh 'Sweet Caroline' I recall becoming some sort of hero singing that in Karaoke on our Chile tour last November, eh' the group never let me forget it, ho ho

Regards

Dave

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Keith,

I wished that I had come on this tour. So jealous. A wonderful account, thank you Keith.

Jan

RUSSELL
(Member)
'turnke' wrote:

Just returned from a great tour,thanks very much to tour director Jackie,driver Lou and a great group of fellow travelers.

The temperature was around 90 every day and most days we left the hotels at 8:30.

We arrived slightly early in Atlanta and stayed two nights at the Ellis Hotel.Problems with only one working lift,but,conveniently located for the Hard Rock Cafe,Hooters and a CVS to get drinks and snacks.

The next morning we went to the Martin Luther King National Park site, visiting his gravesite, as a part of a city tour.The afternoon was free,several of us visited Centennial Park built when the Olympics were held in Atlanta.In the evening, we walked a short distance to a restaurant for the welcome dinner.

On the Monday,we headed for Nashville,via Chattanooga, for a short tour before checking into our hotel. Later we headed for Broadway, where all the honky to know bars are located, some of us went to Nudies, before finding a restaurant.

Tuesday morning found us at RCA Studio B,where Elvis and many country stars recorded. A very interesting tour with pieces of music used to illustrate various types of recording,including an error on a Jim Reeves videoed recording session.Following the tour,we visited the Country Music Hall of Fame, which had a variety of exhibits, some permanent,featuring Country Music stars,from the beginning and some current.The afternoon and evening were free to explore Broadway again.Several singers,at the various bars,took requests and played a lot of well known songs.

On the road again, Wednesday found us in Alabama, on the way to Muscle Shoals,where we visited the Muscle Shoals Sound and Fame Studios,which have been used by The Rolling Stones and Aretha Franklin.

One room featured album covers recorded at the studios and included Lulu and Paul Anka,showing the diversity of the acts.We also visited the Alabama Music Hall of Fame,which featured acts either from Alabama,or,worked most of their career there.

On Thursday,we headed for Memphis,spending sometime in Tupelo, visiting Elvis’s birthplace which is well laid out.We were able to visit the family home, and the church where he started to sing.

Friday morning,we toured Sun Studios followed by Graceland,I had been 4 years before, and the area opposite the house has been improved in the meantime.The Graceland tour is very well done using an IPad to self guide yourself.

When I was in Memphis before,the trolleys had broken down,after 4 years they were running again,and free until mid May.Saturday was a free day,and several of us visited the Lorraine Hotel,where Martin Luther King was assassinated, and some of us went to the National Civil Rights Museum. Others went to the Gibson Guitar Museum.Everybody ended up on Beale Street for the various bars and restaurants.

The next day,we traveled down Route 61,The Blues Highway,to Natchez,where we visited Stanton Hall,an antebellum mansion.

We reached New Orleans at lunchtime on Monday,and had a walking tour through the French Quarter before going to the hotel.The next morning we had a city tour before some went on a tour through the bayous. In the evening,we had a dinner cruise on the Steamboat Natchez accompanied by The Dukes of Dixieland jazz band.

Back into Alabama,on Wednesday,to Mobile,where the Battleship Alabama is berthed in a military park.

The next day,we drove to Montgomery,the state capital,via Selma,which was featured in a recent film about the Civil Rights movement.There is a small interpretive centre near the Edmund Pettus bridge,which was the centre of the events there.

Friday was the final day, and before starting for the airport,some visited the Hank Williams or Rosa Parks museums.

One of the memories,for me,was walking in Mobile,when an amphibious duck stopped in the street and the passengers and crew sang Sweet Caroline with five of the group.

A great tour.

millam
(Member)
'turnke' wrote:

A great tour.

millam
(Member)
'turnke' wrote:

A great tour.

Sounds fantastic that's the tour I am planning to.do next year. 

Cheers

Margaret

Suzyq
  • (Member)
(Member)
I also went on this tour, as a newbie to solo holidays & my first with JY I was very nervous to meet my fellow travellers and spend 2 weeks touring with the early starts & 1800 miles we covered! But I can honestly say that I had the most brilliant time, by far the best holiday I have ever had at a time when I really needed a break away from life in general. I am a huge music lover so thoroughly enjoyed the music studios especially RCA when they turned the lights out and played the original recording of Elvis 'Are you lonesome tonight'! Sun studios was also great to hear how Elvis persevered to make his first ever single there and then topping it off with a visit to his home town of Tupelo where he lived until age 13, to go into his 2 roomed house there & church and onto Graceland......my favourite bit......what a lovely 'home' that was and I was really moved to visit his grave in the garden of remembrance. But I also enjoyed the 'Civil Rights' part of the trip to start in Atlanta where Dr Martin Luther King lived & preached and to end in Montgomery where the petition was handed in to the State Building that effectively brought about the end of segregation was a fitting end to a music & history filled trip that will stay with me for many months to come!

The group got on so well and I made some firm friends who I hope to keep in touch with, Jackie our tour guide was great fun and so kind as was Louis our coach driver. We were blessed with lovely weather and glad of the air conditioned coach that Louis kept stocked with bottled water & snacks for us. Some of the hotels were not up to the standard I expected but am sure JY will reconsider them as we all gave feedback, but none were bad enough that I didn't get a good nights sleep in the very comfortable beds! We did have 1 free day which was in Memphis, my favourite place, but could have done with perhaps 1 more also. Jackie arranged a couple of group dinners in addition to the pre-scheduled one, which was nice, but also good to have the evenings to break into smaller groups to explore the towns at night, or just simply rest at the hotel!

i would certainly recommend this trip and will be looking to book another holiday with JY as soon as I can, already looking at perhaps Sept or Oct this year to Italy or France or Prague etc i

I miss my fellow travellers very much and the camaraderie that we developed during our 2 weeks together!

Hope to catch up or see some of you very soon!

Sue

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Sue,

Glad you had a good time, it is a great holiday that I have done in 2 holidays with JY and Thomas Cook.

Jan