Dina
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I have just returned from this truly amazing tour, no sorry, adventure.

I had wondered about the cost of this tour, but at the end of the day, I thought it was well worth the money spent.

it is pointless to write a review as such because everything about the tour was covered in Bob's excellent review of his November trip but I will write a little about what I thought of it.

Our group of 21, 16 of whom did the add-on to Easter Island, was led, thank goodness by Yvette as we were quite a challenging group apparently, (forgetting this, losing that etc etc). Yvette took everything "thrown at her" in her stride and was always there to give us advice where to eat, what to see and do on our extremely limited free time.

The tour does pack in as much as possible, was quite tiring, but well worth being tired.

It was an adventure never to be forgotten!

We were extremely lucky with the weather. hardly any rain and yes, we thought that it was windy in Patagonia only to be told by the locals that it was quite calm. The temperature in Patagonia was warm, being about !6 celsius.

On this diverse tour we visited mainly three areas of Chile.

The northern third of the country is the arid Atacama desert with it's otherworldy landscapes. Here we visited the Geisers de Tatio at sunrise when the geysers are at their most impressive.

The salar de Atacama is the world's third largest salt flat. On the salt flat we visited the shallow Chaxa lagoon, stunningly beautiful, with certain flamingo sightings.

We travelled to the picturesque Lake District, where we visited Chiloe Island. Some parts of the Lake District could double for England. In Puerto Montt I was surprised to see close up, in fact too close up for comfort, sea lions on a small beach by the market.

As for our third area Patagonia, nothing can prepare one for the sheer beauty and grandeur of the mountains and volcanoes of Torres del Paine National Park. From my point of view more beautiful than the Canadian Rockies and certainly more beautiful than the foreboding Himalayas, but was told by a fellow traveller that mountains in New Zealand are equally impressive.

On to Easter Island, with it's rugged coastline. Again, as Bob stated the icing on the cake! I knew that there were about 800 Moai on the island,but what I didn't realize was that they seem to be everywhere you look.

On Easter Island I particularly enjoyed watching the sea turtles for a few minutes whilst having lunch, the Kari Kari cultural show. Swimming in the sea at Anakena Beach was great but obviously we were watched by even more moai. (Seriously,that is a white lie though because they had got their backs to us).

What a fantastic tour, one that I heartily recommend.

Di

Moderator2
(Member)
Hi Di,

I'm delighted to hear that you had a lovely time on your recent JY holiday. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with the wider JY Community.

I have forwarded your feedback on to our Customer Care team.

Kindest Regards,

Amy

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Di,

Delighted you had such a great time on this truly wonderful tour!  I wonder will I ever been on another holiday to surpass it?!

Best wishes,

Bob

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Di

I'm so glad you had such a great time, especially on Easter Island. Yes, you are right, you always get the feeling you are being watched while you are there, even if the moai are facing the other way! Well done for getting to see the sea turtles - I'm jealous - after two visits I still haven't managed to spot one (but I did get to see my first Blow Fish when I was there is January)

The Kari Kari show is something else, isn't it? So high energy. It's no wonder those lovely ladies have wash board stomachs! I think someone is missing a trick - they should put out a fitness DVD! As for the lads, well...., no tan lines there!!

As you were on the Island in mid-February, did you must see any of the Tapati Festival events? All my Rapa Nui friends were busy rehearsing while I was there - they certainly get very competitive!

All the best

Mandy

AbbaDave
(Member)
Hi Di

glad you enjoyed this wonderful tour and arrived home tired but safely, I agree about the winds in Patagonia we certainly had them much worst but even those winds that we had proved one of the many highlights

all the best

Dave

Julie White
(Member)
Excellent review Dina,

I did this tour last October and I can agree it certainly is adventure. Which I recommend everyone to try, you wont be disappointed.

Regards Julie

Sue16
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Dina' wrote:

I have just returned from this truly amazing tour, no sorry, adventure.

I had wondered about the cost of this tour, but at the end of the day, I thought it was well worth the money spent.

it is pointless to write a review as such because everything about the tour was covered in Bob's excellent review of his November trip but I will write a little about what I thought of it.

Our group of 21, 16 of whom did the add-on to Easter Island, was led, thank goodness by Yvette as we were quite a challenging group apparently, (forgetting this, losing that etc etc). Yvette took everything "thrown at her" in her stride and was always there to give us advice where to eat, what to see and do on our extremely limited free time.

The tour does pack in as much as possible, was quite tiring, but well worth being tired.

It was an adventure never to be forgotten!

We were extremely lucky with the weather. hardly any rain and yes, we thought that it was windy in Patagonia only to be told by the locals that it was quite calm. The temperature in Patagonia was warm, being about !6 celsius.

On this diverse tour we visited mainly three areas of Chile.

The northern third of the country is the arid Atacama desert with it's otherworldy landscapes. Here we visited the Geisers de Tatio at sunrise when the geysers are at their most impressive.

The salar de Atacama is the world's third largest salt flat. On the salt flat we visited the shallow Chaxa lagoon, stunningly beautiful, with certain flamingo sightings.

We travelled to the picturesque Lake District, where we visited Chiloe Island. Some parts of the Lake District could double for England. In Puerto Montt I was surprised to see close up, in fact too close up for comfort, sea lions on a small beach by the market.

As for our third area Patagonia, nothing can prepare one for the sheer beauty and grandeur of the mountains and volcanoes of Torres del Paine National Park. From my point of view more beautiful than the Canadian Rockies and certainly more beautiful than the foreboding Himalayas, but was told by a fellow traveller that mountains in New Zealand are equally impressive.

On to Easter Island, with it's rugged coastline. Again, as Bob stated the icing on the cake! I knew that there were about 800 Moai on the island,but what I didn't realize was that they seem to be everywhere you look.

On Easter Island I particularly enjoyed watching the sea turtles for a few minutes whilst having lunch, the Kari Kari cultural show. Swimming in the sea at Anakena Beach was great but obviously we were watched by even more moai. (Seriously,that is a white lie though because they had got their backs to us).

What a fantastic tour, one that I heartily recommend.

Di-

Glad you had such a brilliant time Diane and adding more to Bob's review.  Maybe one day I will get there!

Sue 

Angie S
(Member)
Hi Di,

Glad you had a wonderful time. All these great reviews I really must try and see for myself. 

Angie

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Di

Reading your review has really whet my appetite even more and I sincerely hope that this tour will not be rested for the next couple of years at least. Hopefully I can either do it in 2020 (want to do New Zealand as well so will have to see if I can manage both money wise as they both are expensive tours).

Note for Just You: Please please do not rest this tour for a couple of years as I really want to do it!

Regards

Jaya

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jaya, once people continue to book it I'm sure JY will continue to offer it!  And with great reviews from Julie, myself and Di I'm sure this will encourage people to take the plunge.  I still cannot believe what an amazing experience it was...

All the best,

Bob

Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Bob, Mandy,Dave,Julie, Sue, Angie and of course Amy

Thank you for all your responses.

Bob. let's hope that JY can come up with something to surpass this holiday but it certainly is a tough one to beat.

Mandy, hopefully you will be lucky and see the turtles next time you go to Easter Island. I think that I read that you are going back again in a couple of years time. No, we didn't see any of the festival, it had finished the week before unfortunately. We didn't see any fish at all, not even when we were swimming. I had assumed that we would do.  I was wearing my prescription swimming goggles so that I could see underwater and also let  see our group that was in the water! As for the Kari Kari show, yep, fitness DVD called for.

James did get a mention by our local guide, who said that James had learnt the local language.

Kind regards

Di

Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Jaya

It is a brilliant tour and I understand that New Zealand is, too. Decisions time.

I will tell you more about Chile etc when I see you.

Kind regards

Di

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob

Let us hope you are right and Just You do not rest this tour for the next few years. I really want to go on this tour.

Regards

Jaya

Angie S
(Member)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Bob

Let us hope you are right and Just You do not rest this tour for the next few years.  I really want to go on this tour.

Regards

Jaya

Angie S
(Member)
Jaya I'll join you in 2020 ?
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Angie

I am planning to do New Zealand in 2020 but am hoping that I can also squeeze in this tour as well. It will be lovely to meet you if you also join me in 2020. Will just have to decide on the dates.

Regards

Jaya