SueStricks
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Recently returned from this tour and I wanted to give some quick feedback

This was my ninth tour with JY and I have to say one of the very best!

Kerala is a wonderful location- lush and verdant - we did have some heavy rain for part of the tour but that didn’t spoil the tour or dampen spirits!

I’ve travelled in northern India before but Kerala is very different

The itinerary was just the right mix of interest and “adventure”- having leeches removed after the Nature Trek being perhaps too high in the adventure scale admitted!

Transport and hotels were all spot on- the night on the houseboat being a particular highlight and an experience I won’t forget

Food was fabulous- there was always a mix of spicy and mild/ more western style food for those with delicate palette 

Keralan people were without exception friendly welcoming and helpful- our bus driver and bus help and local guide were all excellent

Company was great- we were a group of 14- seemed just right in terms of the mix of interests and size and we all got on together

Above all our tour manager; Annemieke; was fantastic- this was my second tour with Annemieke - she is an absolutely great tour manager- there was never a time when we felt uninformed or taken care of- for example; we had to re route our journey through the Cardammon hills on day 4 due to flooding- there was never any panic; the itinerary progressed as planned ( albeit a late wet visit to the spice plantation and a late lunch!) and we were all able to take things in our stride and enjoy the ride!

An excellent tour- I would recommend!

A few tips- if you are doing the Nature Trek take sturdy walking shoes; remember to take Deet spray with you- rooms are air conditioned but you will need it when out and about;women-  remember to take long trousers or cut offs/ knee length shorts/ trousers- India is in the main a conservative country and dressing in a respectful way helps;remember to contact your bank before travelling so you can use your credit/ debit card if you need to ( generally souvenirs are very inexpensive but you will need some cash) don’t be afraid to try the food- it’s delicious!

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sue

Thank you for the review. It brings back wonderful memory of my trip to Kerala. I too thoroughly recommend this trip.

Regards

Jaya

SueStricks
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Sue

Thank you for the review.  It brings back wonderful memory of my trip to Kerala.  I too thoroughly recommend this trip.

Regards

Jaya

🙂

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sue,

Many thanks for your review - Kerala is on my wish list for a few years down the road!

Best wishes,

Bob

SueStricks
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'#BGray' wrote:

Hi Sue,

Many thanks for your review - Kerala is on my wish list for a few years down the road!

Best wishes,

Bob

It’s a great trip Bob- too many places on the list eh!- I know how that feels!

RogertheRed
(Member)
Hi,

Thanks for this great review. I'm doing this trip in January and it has whetted my appetite even more.

Regards,

Roger

SueStricks
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'RogertheRed' wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for this great review. I'm doing this trip in January and it has whetted my appetite even more.

Regards,

Roger

You will have a great time ! - should be less rain in January - it’s a wonderful trip!

Corril
(Member)
'SueStricks' wrote:

Kerala is a wonderful location- lush and verdant - we did have some heavy rain for part of the tour but that didn’t spoil the tour or dampen spirits!

The itinerary was just the right mix of interest and “adventure”- having leeches removed after the Nature Trek being perhaps too high in the adventure scale admitted!

Transport and hotels were all spot on- the night on the houseboat being a particular highlight and an experience I won’t forget

Food was fabulous- there was always a mix of spicy and mild/ more western style food for those with delicate palette 

Keralan people were without exception friendly welcoming and helpful- our bus driver and bus help and local guide were all excellent

Company was great- we were a group of 14- seemed just right in terms of the mix of interests and size and we all got on together

Above all our tour manager; Annemieke; was fantastic- this was my second tour with Annemieke - she is an absolutely great tour manager- there was never a time when we felt uninformed or taken care of- for example; we had to re route our journey through the Cardammon hills on day 4 due to flooding- there was never any panic; the itinerary progressed as planned ( albeit a late wet visit to the spice plantation and a late lunch!) and we were all able to take things in our stride and enjoy the ride!

A few tips- if you are doing the Nature Trek take sturdy walking shoes; remember to take Deet spray with you- rooms are air conditioned but you will need it when out and about;women-  remember to take long trousers or cut offs/ knee length shorts/ trousers- India is in the main a conservative country and dressing in a respectful way helps;remember to contact your bank before travelling so you can use your credit/ debit card if you need to ( generally souvenirs are very inexpensive but you will need some cash) don’t be afraid to try the food- it’s delicious!

Hi Sue

Wonderful review, you've summed up the tour perfectly. We did all have a wonderful time, some wonderful tropical rain even if it was in excess at times it only added to the adventure and enriched our tour, the people of Kerala take it all in their stride. Houseboat was wonderful, spending time on the beach at Kovalam too watching the fishermen pulling in their nets. Agree such a contrast to the north of India, lots of bananas, pineapples and coconuts. Lovely group, happy memories... Linda C

daphnemca
(Member)
As someone said before, Hils I think, this tour is too short, not worth taking a long haul flight for 8 nights in my opinion.  Most other companies do 15 days for Southern India.  Solos long haul tours are all too short, therefore I don't use them any more.
SarahS
(Member)
I agree.  I never consider long haul for less than 2 weeks: and, with the optional add ons are getting ever more expensive, I'm  only considering one  JY  long haul holiday this year as opposed to two or three in past years.  I'm  reluctant to book anything at the moment. No up to date  brochure yet, sketchy details on line and the many negative comments posted here are making me think very carefully about travelling with JY until the customer service issues have been resolved.  I  couldn't wait to recieve a new brochure "sometime never",  so,have booked my first two,long hauls of 2018 elsewhere.
SueStricks
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Corril' wrote:

'SueStricks' wrote:

Hi Sue

Wonderful review, you've summed up the tour perfectly. We did all have a wonderful time, some wonderful tropical rain even if it was in excess at times it only added to the adventure and enriched our tour, the people of Kerala take it all in their stride. Houseboat was wonderful, spending time on the beach at Kovalam too watching the fishermen pulling in their nets. Agree such a contrast to the north of India, lots of bananas, pineapples and coconuts. Lovely group, happy memories... Linda C

Moderator2
(Member)
'SueStricks' wrote:

Hi Sue,

I'm delighted to hear that you had a wonderful time on your trip to Kerala.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with the wider team at JYHQ. I have forwarded your feedback to our Customer Care team.

Kindest Regards,

Amy

DaveMorton
(Member)
I did the Kerala backwaters a few years ago, not with JY but as a sidetrip from a cricket tour to India.

I do not like India, not the cities, but Kerala was wonderful. The two days aboard the 'Kettuvallam' (house boat) were among the most memorable, relaxing and peaceful days of my life.

May I include some photographs to tempt you?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/forwarddefensive/albums/72157632278157752 

Moderator2
(Member)
Good Afternoon DaveMorton,

Thank you for sharing a photo album of your visit to Kerala.

Kindest Regards,

Amy

Lornamary
(Member)
Hi! I'm looking forward to doing this trip later this month. Wanted to ask advice on which currency is best to take?

I belief ATMs are quite abundant but I thought I'd take some currency to start myself off. Any tips from previous travellers?

Moderator2
(Member)
Good Morning Lornamary,

I would recommend that you take Indian Rupee with you on your trip.

Kindest Regards,

Amy

RogertheRed
(Member)
'Moderator2' wrote:

Good Morning Lornamary,

I would recommend that you take Indian Rupee with you on your trip.

Kindest Regards,

Amy

The Indian rupee is a restricted currency in that it should not be taken out of India and therefore technically you should not be able to purchase it in England. Although I believe it is possible. However beware the last time I went to India the 500 rupee and 1000 rupee notes were demonitised overnight (whilst we were in the air) making the notes unchangeable on landing. I believe one couple had nearly £300 of rupees that were now worthless.

However do not worry Sterling, Euros and US$ are readily exchangeable in hotels banks etc.

Hope this helps.

SarahS
(Member)
Indian rupees aren’t available to buy legally in the uk.
Moderator2
(Member)
Good Morning SarahS,

You are not allowed to take rupees in or out of India meaning that you will need to obtain the currency when you arrive in India.

To do this you should bring your debit card and use an ATM machine.

However, in case an ATM doesn't function properly, I would bring some Sterling in cash and change this to dollars/euros before you visit.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/qa-im-going-to-india-and-need-rupees-whats-the-best-way-of-buying-them-8511999.html 

Kindest Regards,

Amy

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi SarahS

When I went to Kerala the tour manager arranged for someone to come to the hotel to change currency for us.  Take sterling then you are not changing twice.

Have a great trip - I loved Kerala but be warned Kerala is dry.  Some hotel serve drink but some do not.  Again our tour manager arranged for us to buy alcohol for consumption in our rooms.