Margaret M.
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Day 1. Heathrow Airport, terminal 2. I could see Brian, the Just You tour manager as soon as I got near the Singapore Airlines check-in. Very quick process and went to find the Premium Plaza lounge. The Just You group were very visible because of the distinctive luggage labels and people were already chatting.

Day 2. Arrival in Singapore. The flight was uneventful and we arrived early. When we reached the hotel we couldn’t have our rooms for about 3 hours but the hotel provided towels and toiletries to shower or to use the pool which was next to the room where we waited. Some of us went for a walk in the streets around the hotel.

We met up again after lunch to visit Gardens by the Bay which was an extra optional excursion organised and paid for locally. Well worth the visit despite the heat and humidity but the huge glasshouses were cooler than outside. When we returned to the hotel we were given a voucher for a welcome drink which meant many people had dinner in the hotel and then had an early night after a very long day.

Day 3. Included city tour. A brief coach journey to the other side of the Singapore river where we took a boat trip out to the sea passing by the old and new buildings and the Merlion. Rejoined the coach to continue the tour to the National Orchid collection which was beautiful.

In the afternoon Brian took some of the group on the metro to the Marina Bay Sands Hotel for an optional visit to the viewing platform. I declined the opportunity and swam in the pool and had a quiet afternoon. In the evening Brian had booked tables at a restaurant in China Town that we could walk to. The staff coped very well with a large group and everyone enjoyed the experience.

Day 4. A free morning and Brian took a group on a walking tour of local temples. It was our only wet morning in Singapore but was definitely not cold! We visited the Thian Hock Keng Chinese temple and the Sri Veeramakaliamman Temple which is a Hindu shrine.

In the afternoon Brian had organised an optional trip to the Raffles Hotel for High Tea in the Tiffin Room. We went by taxi and enjoyed arriving at the front of the hotel. This was a lovely conclusion to the Singapore part of the holiday. We returned to the hotel and changed ready for our departure to Auckland.

Day 5. Auckland, New Zealand. We arrived in the morning and were met by Blair, our driver for the North Island part of the trip. We were able to have our rooms immediately and some of us then joined Brian for a trip to the top of the Sky Tower which was very close to the hotel.

In the evening we had our included welcome dinner and were joined by two additional members of the group. The service for the dinner was very slow which was disappointing because everyone was very tired because of yet another time change.

Day 6. Included Auckland waterfront and museum coach tour. There was lots to see and at the museum we split up to look at what interested us. We returned to the hotel and had the afternoon free. Many of us walked to the nearby Ferry Building and took the boat to Devonport across the bay where we had lunch and a walk along the beach. Dinner was not included but Brian made lots of suggestions and it was easy to find somewhere close to the hotel.

Day 7. Glow worms and float planes. We left the hotel and drove to the Waitomo Caves where we had the included tour to see the glow worms in the complete dark and in silence. A magical experience. We continued on to Rotorua and stopped at the lakeside for most of the group to have an optional float plane trip over the dormant volcano which was paid for locally by credit or debit card. An excellent experience especially as we were very lucky with the weather. 

The hotel provided a buffet dinner which was not included but was not expensive.

Day 8. A choice of optional excursions. Some of the group went to Hobbiton and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. Some of us went to nearby Rainbow Springs where we saw native birds and were lucky to see adult and baby kiwis that are kept in a darkened room because they are nocturnal. It was easy to spot them running around. We then walked to the nearby gondola and went up for a very enjoyable wine tasting. We had a free afternoon where some took advantage of the nearby Polynesian Spa and some walked into the town for lunch and the obligatory ice cream!

In the evening we had the included tour to the Maori village where we saw various demonstrations which included male members of our group being taught the Haka. We saw a short show and then enjoyed a Maori Hangi feast which had been cooked in the ground.

Day 9. Mud pools and geysers. We left the hotel and went to the nearby Te Puia to witness the geysers and the bubbling mud pools. Very atmospheric. We also saw the Maori Schools of weaving and carving where apprentices are taught the traditional methods.

We stopped at Huka Falls and then Lake Taupo for an early lunch. We arrived in Napier where the hotel is on the seafront and had time to explore the Art Deco town centre on our own.

In the evening we were taken by coach to the Mission Wine Estate for the included dinner. The building and setting is beautiful and we had a lovely 3 course dinner with plenty of wine included.

Day 10. Napier to Wellington. We were up early for the long journey to Wellington, stopping at Dannevirke for coffee and Paraparaumu for lunch. We arrived in Wellington where we had a brief coach orientation tour which included going to a local lookout point above the city. Time for a rest at the hotel and then walked to the waterfront for dinner with other group members.

Day 11. Wellington. Thankfully a slightly later start and went up the nearby cable car to the Botanical Gardens. We were able to stay with the group or to walk at our own pace and choose what we wanted to see. Walked from there down to the waterfront and the excellent Te Papa museum. Had a quiet evening because we had to be up early the next day. Suitcases had to be put out by 10pm because they were travelling by truck whilst we were going on the ferry tomorrow as foot passengers.

Day 12. Wellington to Picton. Up early for the ferry to the South Island. A really enjoyable crossing because the weather got better as we travelled south and we arrived in Picton in sunshine. We were met by our new driver Denis and started the long inland journey to Christchurch. The November 2016 earthquake at Kaikora meant that the coastal road was still closed and the only alternative added over 2 hours to the journey so we arrived in Christchurch in the dark. We were greeted at the hotel with warm cookies which were gratefully received. This was only an overnight stop and we had to be up early to catch the train so not worth unpacking.

Day 13. TranzAlpine train. Caught the 8.15am train so another early start. We were very lucky that the train had reopened whilst we were in NZ because there had been an extensive trackside fire in February and we left the UK thinking that part of our tour had been changed. It was very enjoyable with excellent views and the opportunity to stand in an open-sided observation car.

We left the train at Arthur’s Pass and rejoined the coach for the journey to Franz Josef where we had 3.30 bookings to go on the optional glacier helicopter flights. About half the group, in 3 helicopters, had the flight of a lifetime up to the glacier where the helicopter landed and we got out on to the snow. Plenty of opportunities for photos. In the evening Brian had pre-booked enough tables in a restaurant next to the hotel where we could pay individually for whatever we ordered.

Day 14. Franz Josef to Queenstown. Another long coach journey punctuated by coffee, lunch and photo stops as we drove along the side of Lake Wanaka. We stopped at the town of Wanaka to enjoy ice cream on the beach. Glorious sunshine and scenery.

We arrived at our lakeside hotel on the outskirts of Queenstown mid-afternoon and had a rest before we were taken by coach to the gondola for the optional dinner and stargazing. As it happened the stargazing was cancelled that evening because of the cloud cover and a refund given. However the buffet meal was excellent with lots of choice and the views were good too.

Day 15. Milford Sound included excursion. On the coach at 7am for the long journey to Milford. Plenty of coffee, photo and toilet stops along the way. Stopped near the Homer Tunnel to see if we could find some Kea birds and we successfully photographed one pecking at rubber on a vehicle which they are famous for doing! Arrived in time for the 1.30 sailing and enjoyed a very good packed lunch that was provided as part of the trip. It rained on and off and was very misty but the trip was very good. We arrived back at the hotel at 8.30 and were very grateful that we had been able to pre-order dinner.

Day 16. A free day. Various opportunities today after a more leisurely breakfast. Some went on the Dart Safari, some went with Brian into the town for a jet boat ride and some took the local bus down and wandered around the Saturday craft market where there was live music. I opted to walk from the hotel and took the cycle/footpath along the lake edge, around the gardens and into the town. The weather was glorious and I took a lot of photos and then caught the bus back to the hotel.

In the evening we went into the town and had a ride on the TSS Earnshaw to the Walter Peak High Country Farm where we had an excellent buffet dinner. This was an optional excursion but everyone did it and thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the sing song around the piano on the boat back across the lake!

Day 17. Arrowtown and Omarama. We had a welcome extra hour in bed because the clocks changed in NZ. We had a short journey to Arrowtown which had been a Chinese miner’s town. We had a walk round and had expected to see more autumn leaves but the unseasonal warm weather meant very few had changed. We then stopped at a fruit shop where they sold fresh fruit ice cream which we enjoyed whilst admiring the last of the roses in the adjoining garden. We also stopped at Kawarau Bridge to watch the bungy jumpers at the original A J Hackett site. Nobody in the group jumped!

We arrived in Omarama early because the Mt Cook flights had been postponed because of the wind. We were able to purchase a very good buffet dinner in the hotel.

Day 18. The flights were again postponed with a promise to review when we reached Tekapo. We reached the airfield and despite the cloud we were good to go. We had amazing views and it was spectacular when we went up through the cloud and flew around Mt Cook. Those not on the flights had continued in the coach to Tekapo where they had a coffee stop and we rejoined them later.

We arrived in Christchurch mid-afternoon in the pouring rain and a few of us joined Brian for a walking tour of the area hardest hit by the 2011 earthquake. So very sad to see so much destruction still visible. I went on my own to see the Re-Start Mall made up of shipping containers. I rejoined the group at the Museum after a walk through the Botanical Gardens.

We had a very enjoyable included farewell dinner in the hotel as this was the last day.

Day 19. Most of the group left early for the return flight to London (arriving Day 20) although some had opted for a couple of days stopover in Singapore to break the journey. Some left later for the Cook Island add-on and I had an extra night in Christchurch to meet up with family. I returned to the UK on my own the next day also via Singapore.

Hotels were of a good standard with the Singapore Park Regis and the Christchurch Chateau on the Park being particularly good. Both the Auckland and Wellington hotels were in good positions right in the city centre but I wasn’t bothered by street noise. The only hotel I thought was poor was the Heritage Gateway in Omarama. It was little more than a motel with some rooms on the ground floor very close to the nearby street.

All the hotels provided a buffet breakfast with plenty of choice. A couple had laundry facilities which some of our group used but I took a tube of travel wash and managed to get washing dry each time we had more than one night’s stay in a hotel.

All our Singapore Airlines flights were on time and I couldn’t fault the care and attention provided by the flight attendants. I opted to fly Business Class which was expensive but in my case worth every penny to be able to lie flat and sleep during the long flights.

One thing I would recommend for a holiday with this many stops is finding a way of organising your suitcase. I used packing ‘cubes’ that I used to divide my clothes and other possessions so that I didn’t have to unpack each time we stopped.

Conclusion. This was my first group holiday and I had a trip of a lifetime. I was very lucky to share it with like-minded people looked after by Brian Croft who is an excellent, very experienced, very organised tour manager. Our group was very good about timekeeping so there were no waits for stragglers to return to the coach.

We were also blessed with sunny weather for most of the trip!

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Margaret

Thank you for leaving a very detailed review of your recent tour to NZ, I did this a few years ago going via HKG stop over, so it bought back many memories reading your thoughts....

Cindy

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Margaret

Thank you for the comprehensive review. New Zealand is on my list and hopefully I will be able to do this tour in 3-4 years' time.

Regards

Jaya

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Margaret,

Thank you so much for this fantastic review, I hope to do this tour in a couple of years (I want to do Australia first though!) and your experiences have really whetted my appetite!  I also use packing cubes and have found Singapore Airlines to be very good.  I had a few days in Singapore last year after the Borneo tour and loved it.  I'm delighted that you enjoyed NZ so much and it sounds like the tour was just about perfect!  I hope I get as good weather as you did whenever I get there....

All the best,

Bob

AnnF
  • (Member)
(Member)
What a marvellous holiday!   Thanks for sharing it with us stay-at-homes.   You make me very envious - I've always wanted to go to New Zealand but the very long journey puts me off, apart from flying to South America in my younger days the trips to Canada are the longest I've been on and it took me ages to recover from them.

Ann

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Margaret,

Thank you so much for this comprehensive diary of New Zealand. Everything I wanted to know has been answered and although it is over 6 months away, I can't wait 😃 

Must remember a torch for the Glow caves at Waitomo as I have an eye problem which gives me grief in the dark, seen so many pictures of these caves. Hope that the cloud cover does not interfere with the stargazing. One of my friends did it last month- she saw the Aurora Australis and the Southern Cross- we can but hope.

Slightly worried how I am going to manage the Hard Rock Cafe on Sentosa Island which I know is 3 stops from the hotel in Singapore. Seems that I only have the morning on the first day or do I miss the Hindu Temple on Day 4. Want to do Raffles even though I do not like Gin- must have a Singapore Sling 😉 

Jan

Dyuti
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Margaret M.' wrote:

Day 1. Heathrow Airport, terminal 2. I could see Brian, the Just You tour manager as soon as I got near the Singapore Airlines check-in. Very quick process and went to find the Premium Plaza lounge. The Just You group were very visible because of the distinctive luggage labels and people were already chatting.

Day 2. Arrival in Singapore. The flight was uneventful and we arrived early. When we reached the hotel we couldn’t have our rooms for about 3 hours but the hotel provided towels and toiletries to shower or to use the pool which was next to the room where we waited. Some of us went for a walk in the streets around the hotel.

We met up again after lunch to visit Gardens by the Bay which was an extra optional excursion organised and paid for locally. Well worth the visit despite the heat and humidity but the huge glasshouses were cooler than outside. When we returned to the hotel we were given a voucher for a welcome drink which meant many people had dinner in the hotel and then had an early night after a very long day.

Day 3. Included city tour. A brief coach journey to the other side of the Singapore river where we took a boat trip out to the sea passing by the old and new buildings and the Merlion. Rejoined the coach to continue the tour to the National Orchid collection which was beautiful.

In the afternoon Brian took some of the group on the metro to the Marina Bay Sands Hotel for an optional visit to the viewing platform. I declined the opportunity and swam in the pool and had a quiet afternoon. In the evening Brian had booked tables at a restaurant in China Town that we could walk to. The staff coped very well with a large group and everyone enjoyed the experience.

Day 4. A free morning and Brian took a group on a walking tour of local temples. It was our only wet morning in Singapore but was definitely not cold! We visited the Thian Hock Keng Chinese temple and the Sri Veeramakaliamman Temple which is a Hindu shrine.

In the afternoon Brian had organised an optional trip to the Raffles Hotel for High Tea in the Tiffin Room. We went by taxi and enjoyed arriving at the front of the hotel. This was a lovely conclusion to the Singapore part of the holiday. We returned to the hotel and changed ready for our departure to Auckland.

Day 5. Auckland, New Zealand. We arrived in the morning and were met by Blair, our driver for the North Island part of the trip. We were able to have our rooms immediately and some of us then joined Brian for a trip to the top of the Sky Tower which was very close to the hotel.

In the evening we had our included welcome dinner and were joined by two additional members of the group. The service for the dinner was very slow which was disappointing because everyone was very tired because of yet another time change.

Day 6. Included Auckland waterfront and museum coach tour. There was lots to see and at the museum we split up to look at what interested us. We returned to the hotel and had the afternoon free. Many of us walked to the nearby Ferry Building and took the boat to Devonport across the bay where we had lunch and a walk along the beach. Dinner was not included but Brian made lots of suggestions and it was easy to find somewhere close to the hotel.

Day 7. Glow worms and float planes. We left the hotel and drove to the Waitomo Caves where we had the included tour to see the glow worms in the complete dark and in silence. A magical experience. We continued on to Rotorua and stopped at the lakeside for most of the group to have an optional float plane trip over the dormant volcano which was paid for locally by credit or debit card. An excellent experience especially as we were very lucky with the weather. 

The hotel provided a buffet dinner which was not included but was not expensive.

Day 8. A choice of optional excursions. Some of the group went to Hobbiton and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. Some of us went to nearby Rainbow Springs where we saw native birds and were lucky to see adult and baby kiwis that are kept in a darkened room because they are nocturnal. It was easy to spot them running around. We then walked to the nearby gondola and went up for a very enjoyable wine tasting. We had a free afternoon where some took advantage of the nearby Polynesian Spa and some walked into the town for lunch and the obligatory ice cream!

In the evening we had the included tour to the Maori village where we saw various demonstrations which included male members of our group being taught the Haka. We saw a short show and then enjoyed a Maori Hangi feast which had been cooked in the ground.

Day 9. Mud pools and geysers. We left the hotel and went to the nearby Te Puia to witness the geysers and the bubbling mud pools. Very atmospheric. We also saw the Maori Schools of weaving and carving where apprentices are taught the traditional methods.

We stopped at Huka Falls and then Lake Taupo for an early lunch. We arrived in Napier where the hotel is on the seafront and had time to explore the Art Deco town centre on our own.

In the evening we were taken by coach to the Mission Wine Estate for the included dinner. The building and setting is beautiful and we had a lovely 3 course dinner with plenty of wine included.

Day 10. Napier to Wellington. We were up early for the long journey to Wellington, stopping at Dannevirke for coffee and Paraparaumu for lunch. We arrived in Wellington where we had a brief coach orientation tour which included going to a local lookout point above the city. Time for a rest at the hotel and then walked to the waterfront for dinner with other group members.

Day 11. Wellington. Thankfully a slightly later start and went up the nearby cable car to the Botanical Gardens. We were able to stay with the group or to walk at our own pace and choose what we wanted to see. Walked from there down to the waterfront and the excellent Te Papa museum. Had a quiet evening because we had to be up early the next day. Suitcases had to be put out by 10pm because they were travelling by truck whilst we were going on the ferry tomorrow as foot passengers.

Day 12. Wellington to Picton. Up early for the ferry to the South Island. A really enjoyable crossing because the weather got better as we travelled south and we arrived in Picton in sunshine. We were met by our new driver Denis and started the long inland journey to Christchurch. The November 2016 earthquake at Kaikora meant that the coastal road was still closed and the only alternative added over 2 hours to the journey so we arrived in Christchurch in the dark. We were greeted at the hotel with warm cookies which were gratefully received. This was only an overnight stop and we had to be up early to catch the train so not worth unpacking.

Day 13. TranzAlpine train. Caught the 8.15am train so another early start. We were very lucky that the train had reopened whilst we were in NZ because there had been an extensive trackside fire in February and we left the UK thinking that part of our tour had been changed. It was very enjoyable with excellent views and the opportunity to stand in an open-sided observation car.

We left the train at Arthur’s Pass and rejoined the coach for the journey to Franz Josef where we had 3.30 bookings to go on the optional glacier helicopter flights. About half the group, in 3 helicopters, had the flight of a lifetime up to the glacier where the helicopter landed and we got out on to the snow. Plenty of opportunities for photos. In the evening Brian had pre-booked enough tables in a restaurant next to the hotel where we could pay individually for whatever we ordered.

Day 14. Franz Josef to Queenstown. Another long coach journey punctuated by coffee, lunch and photo stops as we drove along the side of Lake Wanaka. We stopped at the town of Wanaka to enjoy ice cream on the beach. Glorious sunshine and scenery.

We arrived at our lakeside hotel on the outskirts of Queenstown mid-afternoon and had a rest before we were taken by coach to the gondola for the optional dinner and stargazing. As it happened the stargazing was cancelled that evening because of the cloud cover and a refund given. However the buffet meal was excellent with lots of choice and the views were good too.

Day 15. Milford Sound included excursion. On the coach at 7am for the long journey to Milford. Plenty of coffee, photo and toilet stops along the way. Stopped near the Homer Tunnel to see if we could find some Kea birds and we successfully photographed one pecking at rubber on a vehicle which they are famous for doing! Arrived in time for the 1.30 sailing and enjoyed a very good packed lunch that was provided as part of the trip. It rained on and off and was very misty but the trip was very good. We arrived back at the hotel at 8.30 and were very grateful that we had been able to pre-order dinner.

Day 16. A free day. Various opportunities today after a more leisurely breakfast. Some went on the Dart Safari, some went with Brian into the town for a jet boat ride and some took the local bus down and wandered around the Saturday craft market where there was live music. I opted to walk from the hotel and took the cycle/footpath along the lake edge, around the gardens and into the town. The weather was glorious and I took a lot of photos and then caught the bus back to the hotel.

In the evening we went into the town and had a ride on the TSS Earnshaw to the Walter Peak High Country Farm where we had an excellent buffet dinner. This was an optional excursion but everyone did it and thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the sing song around the piano on the boat back across the lake!

Day 17. Arrowtown and Omarama. We had a welcome extra hour in bed because the clocks changed in NZ. We had a short journey to Arrowtown which had been a Chinese miner’s town. We had a walk round and had expected to see more autumn leaves but the unseasonal warm weather meant very few had changed. We then stopped at a fruit shop where they sold fresh fruit ice cream which we enjoyed whilst admiring the last of the roses in the adjoining garden. We also stopped at Kawarau Bridge to watch the bungy jumpers at the original A J Hackett site. Nobody in the group jumped!

We arrived in Omarama early because the Mt Cook flights had been postponed because of the wind. We were able to purchase a very good buffet dinner in the hotel.

Day 18. The flights were again postponed with a promise to review when we reached Tekapo. We reached the airfield and despite the cloud we were good to go. We had amazing views and it was spectacular when we went up through the cloud and flew around Mt Cook. Those not on the flights had continued in the coach to Tekapo where they had a coffee stop and we rejoined them later.

We arrived in Christchurch mid-afternoon in the pouring rain and a few of us joined Brian for a walking tour of the area hardest hit by the 2011 earthquake. So very sad to see so much destruction still visible. I went on my own to see the Re-Start Mall made up of shipping containers. I rejoined the group at the Museum after a walk through the Botanical Gardens.

We had a very enjoyable included farewell dinner in the hotel as this was the last day.

Day 19. Most of the group left early for the return flight to London (arriving Day 20) although some had opted for a couple of days stopover in Singapore to break the journey. Some left later for the Cook Island add-on and I had an extra night in Christchurch to meet up with family. I returned to the UK on my own the next day also via Singapore.

Hotels were of a good standard with the Singapore Park Regis and the Christchurch Chateau on the Park being particularly good. Both the Auckland and Wellington hotels were in good positions right in the city centre but I wasn’t bothered by street noise. The only hotel I thought was poor was the Heritage Gateway in Omarama. It was little more than a motel with some rooms on the ground floor very close to the nearby street.

All the hotels provided a buffet breakfast with plenty of choice. A couple had laundry facilities which some of our group used but I took a tube of travel wash and managed to get washing dry each time we had more than one night’s stay in a hotel.

All our Singapore Airlines flights were on time and I couldn’t fault the care and attention provided by the flight attendants. I opted to fly Business Class which was expensive but in my case worth every penny to be able to lie flat and sleep during the long flights.

One thing I would recommend for a holiday with this many stops is finding a way of organising your suitcase. I used packing ‘cubes’ that I used to divide my clothes and other possessions so that I didn’t have to unpack each time we stopped.

Conclusion. This was my first group holiday and I had a trip of a lifetime. I was very lucky to share it with like-minded people looked after by Brian Croft who is an excellent, very experienced, very organised tour manager. Our group was very good about timekeeping so there were no waits for stragglers to return to the coach.

Thank you Margaret, for a detailed report. I am going to NZ in October, so it is helpful to know.

Dyuti

AbbaDave
(Member)
Lovely review Margaret

I should have visited NZ when I did OZ in 2013 so hadn't really thought about going all that way again but your review has given things another thought, I also did Singapore last year after Borneo and loved the city especially Gardens by the Bay but I thought the laser show at the marina bay sands was disappointing and a visit to Raffles is a must

all the best

Dave

Kezzer46
(Member)
Hi Margaret,

Thanks for a fab review. It brought back memories of my time in NZ. I travelled on my own but would love to go back and share the experience with some like minded people.

Kind Regards

Kezzer

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hello Margaret

Your review brought back memories of my first trip with JY to NZ via Hong Kong in March 2010. We had superb weather throughout and I did most of the excursions. And, as for Brian Croft, how lucky were you? He was great on my trip to the Canadian Rockies a few years ago too!

Happy holidays

Sylvia

debsydoodah
(Member)
'Hi wrote:

chrismcq47
(Member)
Fantastic review, I am so looking forward to this trip in November this year.

Thank you Margaret.

Christine

Graham47
(Member)
Margaret, I’m going on a similar trip in Feb/Mar 2019, though not with JY unfortunately.

I had already booked this before I came across them.

Reason for posting is to ask if you could give me some idea as to weather to help with what clothes to pack.

Rgds

Duncolm
(Member)
I spent the whole of February in New Zealand over ten years ago. It’s a long way from South to North (I know, I drove most of it) and there’s a wide variety of climate. The short answer is you’ll need to pack for all eventualities.

In the south, Otago and Fiordland say, there’s a good chance of rain and cool weather. The same goes for anywhere in the South Island mountains. If you go near any of the glaciers you can feel the cold from a distance away. It gets warmer as you go north, Nelson is reckoned to get the most sunshine in the country.

It‘s warmer still on the North Island. By the time you get to the Bay of Islands and the Far North you’re on an equivalent latitude to Portugal and the weather’s similar.

Of course it’s a guess what you’ll get if the world’s weather patterns continue to be disturbed. It had been an unusually cold summer when we arrived and we just missed flash floods in the north.

I should go back. I need at least a couple of months to get round the places I missed first time round.

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Graham

I agree with Duncolm posting....when I went to NZ with JY a few years ago it was January.

I took clothes I could layer on or off. You will need a fleece and anorak ...I have a 3 in 1 coat. It’s a fleece and light weight anorak but can zip together to make a very warm jacket came in very handy at times. I also did take gloves and scarf.

If you doing say helicopter up to Frank Joseph or sailing on Milford sound those sort of trips you might even need a light woolly hat..

Just take things that you can mix and match with and get on and off easily, as you might need big coat outside but lightweight clothes for long coach journeys...

Have fun ..

Cindy

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Graham,

I went in November last year. Took jumpers, coat and T shirts. 30 degrees in Singapore, 15 to 28 in New Zealand. Was their Springtime. Queenstown and was in a Summer dress during a very hot day with a cardigan for the evening. We never managed the helicopter tour due to low cloud. The light plane around Mount Cook needed a jumper, no more. The only time I needed gloves was back on arrival in England.

Jan