Dina
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
This was a super holiday for our group of 16, 10 ladies and 6 gentlemen. Our Tour Manager was Karylin, the epitome of what a Tm should be, great. Leonard was our safe driver, guide and wildlife spotter. He was friendly and a budding politician.

On arriving in Namibia we were taken directly to our coach. it was quite old and certainly not full sized, having around 24 seats. There were a few minor problems with seat belts but Karylin ensured we were all belted up before departure. The coach was comfortable. It was explained that some of the terrain covered by the bus on it's  journeys had an impact on it. The following day all the seat belts had been repaired by Leonard and Karylin had organized a very well thought out seat rotation plan for the holiday, bearing in mind only 4 or 5 could sit singly each day. This worked well (have been reading negative comments about seat rotation).

It was the rainy season. The first part of the holiday when we were in the Namib Naukluft desert it was very hot and dry. The second part of the holiday as we travelled north it remained very hot but we encountered heavy rainfall and thunderstorms, mainly in the evenings or during the night. We encountered many waterlogged and flooded areas.. Apparently there hadn't been this much rain for years.

The landscape became green with huge areas of beautiful yellow daisy type flowers. Very picturesque.

In Swakopmund we managed to see an eclipse, which Leonard had advised Karylin of.

The lodges were all of a fairly good standard, although our lodges at the Etosha Safari Camp were set in a hillside. There was a fairly steep concrete path leading to each lodge, the furthest lodge being about 15 minutes from reception. Had we required transport to and fro, reception would have provided it.

The food overall was good including oryx, springbok and eland. We did have a surfeit of butternut squash soup though. It became quite a joke.

On a negative note service at the Tug Boat resataurant was very slow. On the final evening we found ourselves at Joe's Beer Hall, not the ideal place for a meal on the last night. After a long journey we sat on long benches but we needed  chairs. The staff refused to allocate us chairs when Karylin requested them. What's more the chicken soup was too salty and the steaks too tough. 

At the end of the optional township which half of us did we were given a real treat. We were served chicken stew with dumplings, a maize drink, which were fine and then lo and behold we were offered mopane worms aka caterpillars which can be eaten raw, grilled or fried. The oldest gentleman in the group aged 82 was the only one to try these grilled delicacies.

The optional tours were interesting.

The catamaran cruise, in a calm bay, was interesting, although out of season for dolphins which we didn't see, we were honoured by the presence on board of pelicans and a seal. Whilst on deck we were given a couple of drinks before going below deck for a sumptuous lunch including oysters and champagne (sparkling wine??)

For the township tour  we were collected by our Rastafarian guide, Ravanelli, in his town ship tour bus. In fact there was a township within a township, the second being poorer than the first. I have seen far worse poverty in India. We visited various people including the herbalist Christa Augusta. she didn't speak english, so Ravanelli translated and he was soon trying to teach us Herrero. In this language words are either preceded or followed by a "click" which obviously caused us a bit of amusement. Ravanelli also negotiated an extra visit to a school in the more deprived township. A young 18 year old German girl showed us around. She was a volunteer there and was staying for a year and being paid by the Red Cross.. The young lady said that the school needed much more support and another sponsor.

The main highlights of the holiday were the desert and sand dunes at Sossusvlei. Some of us trekked up one sand dune to see deadvlei, a salt pan, but even in the early morning it was really too hot to be yomping up sand dunes.

The rock carvings at Twyelfontein dating from 6000BC to 2000BC were quite interesting but the guide wasn't. We clambered along a rocky path to see the carvings and then the guide took a few of the more nimble members of our group higher into the rocks to see even more of the same.

The petrified forest wasn't what I expected. I expected to see blackened trees standing upright. We followed the guide looking at what we thought we chunks of rock scattered around, not realizing initially that these were all petrified bits of wood. The guide explained the process of petrification and then we saw a few trees lying horizontal that had been petrified.

The Damara Living Museum was fascinating.We were shown various aspects of the old way of life including beading, how they prepared goatskin to make their clothing. Well, what little bit of clothing that they wore. They showed us how to make fire, Ray Mears style of course. Finally we were treated to a display of dancing.

During our travels we saw Himba ladies, who if we didn't buy from their stalls, were happy to pose for photos for a small donation.

The scenery on the tour was varied from sandy deserts to incredible rock formations. We travelled over The Tropic of Capricorn where we had the customary photo stop.  The most amazing landscape was the moon landscape at the Swakop River Valley. We continued northwards towards Etosha where there was a verdant landscape where normally in the dry season it is totally arid. Even the eastern end of the Etosha Pan had water in it this year.

This green landscape was not conducive to wildlife spotting.We were unlucky we didn't see elephants, leopards, cheetahs or warthogs. Leonard did claim that he did see a rhino though, we weren't so sure. It was even too early for the flamingoes to arrive too.

However, we did see 3 lions, loads of giraffes, zebras and other ungulates. Springboks never let us down. We saw ostriches, a family of spotted hyenas, a black backed jackal. mongoose and even a tortoise. There were plenty of the animal babies. There was a profusion of beautiful birds and the not so beautiful vulture.

To sum up this holiday was really enjoyable. I didn't think it was as full on as some JY tours. We did have some early starts but most days we were

back in our lodges mid afternoon which gave us chill out time for a swim or read.

We travelled miles and miles without seeing any other cars in this very sparsely populated country which had only approximately two million inhabitants in 2010. Am left wondering why the Germans wanted this country...valuable mineral resources, nutrient rich fishing waters or...

Di

pat534
(Member)
thank you Dina.I am thinking about this trip for next february and was good to read about your experience.
Kezzer46
(Member)
Hi Dina,

Thank you for this wonderful review. It sounds like it was a really good trip with lots to do and see. Sorry you didn't get to see all the animals you wanted....

Kind Regards

Kezzer

Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Pat

Thank you for your comments.

There are a couple more reviews for this holiday which you may find interesting. The first one was for the Feb/Mar 2015 departure and then another was written for the May 2015 departure.

Most of our tour was basically the same as the previous tours, but Jim's review of Feb/Mar 2015 was certainly more comprehensive than mine.

I am sure if you read that one it will whet your appetite  for this holiday even more.

Kind regards

Di

Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Kezzer 

Thank you for your lovely comments!

I think we may have been a little unlucky with wildlife spotting, even though it was the rainy season. I

I have just read Jim's review from Feb 2015 and they did see a few more animals than us.

Even though I was slightly disappointed not to see elephants,it wasn't the "end of the world" because I had gone on the tour because of it's diversity.

Kind regards, enjoy your next holiday wherever it is

Di

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Di,

Glad you enjoyed Namibia and thanks for the great review - it remains one of my top three tours!

All the best,

Bob

Bosuncat
(Member)
Lovely review Di.  Glad you had a great time.  🙂
Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Bob and Bosuncat

Thank you both for lovely comments.

Hope you both continue to have super JY holidays including a trip to Crete.

Best wishes

Di

pat534
(Member)
'Dina' wrote:

Hi Pat

There are a couple more reviews for this holiday which you may find interesting. The first one was for the Feb/Mar 2015 departure and then another was written for the May 2015 departure.

Most of our tour was basically the same as the previous tours, but Jim's review of Feb/Mar 2015 was certainly more comprehensive than mine.

I am sure if you read that one it will whet your appetite  for this holiday even more.

Kind regards

Di

Thanks Di.Have checked them out.

Sue16
  • (Member)
(Member)
Excellent review Di - look forward to seeing some photos and your next review; The Roof of the World, or have you booked something before this?

Sue

Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Sue

Thank you very much for your comments. Will get some photos sorted, unfortunately most of my photos are of springbok, more springbok and even more springbok with one or one dozen pictures of giraffes and zebras  just to break the monotony.

No, nothing else booked before Roof of the World.

Best wishes 

Di

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Di

Great review. I am surprised you did not see any elephants as we saw a lot of them at the watering hole. We did not see any leopards or cheetahs but did see warthogs.

Regards

Jaya

Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Jaya

Thank you for your comments. I didnot really expect to see

loads of wildlife because it was the wet season and I think 

every animal in Etosha must have had it's own waterhole.

However, there wasnot a moment I didn't enjoy. Great holiday 

and somewhere I would go back to.

Best wishes

Di

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Di

With wildlife it is always pot luck. I expected to see lots of Scarlet Macaws and Toucans in Costa Rica - I thought they would be flying everywhere! We only saw very few. I am glad you enjoyed Namibia despite not seeing much wildlife. You had the same driver/guide as us and he is good. Hope to see you soon.

Jaya

AbbaDave
(Member)
Great Review Di

glad you had a wonderful time seeing such changing and diverse scenery and landscapes

all the best

Dave

Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Dave

I suppose if I really want to see a load of wildlife I will have to think about Costa Rica at some stage then, as you and Jaya saw loads there.

Best wishes

Di

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Di,

I think you should look at the new Central America Adventure as it has lots of wildlife opportunities and a lot of other amazing sights as well - it mightn't be around for too long so have a look at it while it's on offer!  Unfortunately I can't do it next year so I'm hoping it will still be around in 2019...

All the best,

Bob

Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Bob, thank you

Yes, I agree with your comments about the central American holiday. I have checked it out in the brochure a few times.

I doubt very much that I will go next year because at this stage I am considering Burma in the autumn and possibly Chile in the spring. Would love to go to Easter Island and would like to see Easter Island added as a pre-tour possibility for the Chile, Argentina and Brazil tour as that tour starts in Santiago.

However, nothing set in stone yet, so many places to choose from.

all the best, Di