PeterG
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
It's a long way to Punta Arenas and we got there after two long flights to Santiago, a short night in an hotel (suitcase out before going to bed and a very early start the next morning), and then a charter flight for the final leg.

Getting on board MS Midnatsol took until early afternoon where we checked in and received our ID/cabin door card (also used to check you off and on the ship). Having eaten we then picked up our jackets, having made sure we were wearing what we would probably have on when going ashore so they would fit. We got our boots the following morning.

MS Midnatsol  The ship is restricted to a maximum of less than 500 passengers and crew to comply with the agreed rules for landings in Antarctica.

As a result there were about 360/370 passengers and we were divided into boat groups for landing and cruising - about 32 in each group as the tenders could carry 16 passengers.

Every day the order in which the groups went out was changed so that if the weather or sea conditions changed (for better or worse) there was a chance that different groups would be affected by adverse conditions.

I have to say that we were incredibly lucky and throughout the trip the weather conditions were, to say the least, benign. I think the only activity cancelled was one of the kayak training afternoons when it was a bit too windy. Every other activity, landing, and cruise went ahead as planned.

I did not upgrade my cabin as I was happy to have an inside one as (a) I didn't expect to spend much time in it, and (b) when I turned the light off it was dark whereas those with windows had daylight almost 24 hours a day.

The cabin had adequate storage and was comfortable ( more particularly after I turned the aircon down to its lowest setting). The bathroom has underfloor heating which is wonderful - it also means you can dry things in there very quickly. I did a certain amount of washing which dried within a couple of hours, there is a clothes line across the shower, but putting things on the floor was faster.

Daily Programme

Every day there were briefings about the following days activities and there were also talks given on a variety of subjects by members of the Expedition Team. Each evening we got a Daily Programme sheet outlining the next days activities with details of the order the groups would be going in and timings. Having kept these I can use them to list what we did, although a voyage portfolio should soon be available online.

22nd Dec. We went tender boat cruising in Garibaldi Fjord. Went quite close to the glacier, lots of ice floes.

23rd Dec. Puerto Williams :- most southerly settlement in S America. There were several optional activities and I                   did the 6 mile walk up to a viewpoint overlooking the town. Quite steep and lots of birdlife.

24th Dec. Cape Horn. We were warned that 9 out of 10 trips don't get to land, and although the forecast was good                it could still be a slightly bumpy landing with a bit of a swell. We had pretty much a flat calm landing.

None of the Expedition Team or crew had seen it so calm. Had a walk around and met the lighthouse                    man and his family. They do a year in this post!

Sailed from Cape Horn and had Xmas Dinner at sea.

25th Dec. At sea, which was pretty calm, did see some whales from time to time. Various talks given.

26th Dec. Half Moon Island, S Shetland Islands. Went ashore and did a snow shoe hike uphill. Didn't get to the                    top as nesting skuas objected.

27th Dec. Deception Island. This is a volcanic caldera. We landed and various walks were available. Some made a

it to th top, others walked on the beach looking for seals and penguins.

28th Dec. Neko Harbour. Marvelous locaation by a glacier that is actively shedding large chunks of ice. Our group                went for a cruise round the bay in the morning and saw crab seals and a few penguins. Landed in the                 afternoon andwalked uphill to  overlook a penguin rookery. Later in the evening the staff of Port Lockroy               Post Office came aboard selling souvenirs and postcards.

29th Dec. Wilhelmina Bay in the morning. All groups out cruising in the bay which was full of humpbacked                          whales, some of which came up close to the boats. One group apparently saw Orca but most of us                        didn't.

Cuverville Island in the afternoon for more penguin spotting.

30th Dec. Damoy Point. I didn't go ashore here as I had a bad cold and preferred to stay aboard in the warm and                drink lots of tea.

31st Dec. Yankee Harbour. The second day I missed going ashore. We departed for the Falklands later in the day                  and celebrated New Year somewhere in Drake Passage.

1st Jan, At sea and all groups visited the Bridge where we could ask the Captain questions. Remarkable lack of                 rough seas.

2nd Jan. Arrived Stanley and went ashore. Various tours available - I did the Stanley tour, others went to Bluff                    Cove and some to a farm. Later walked around the town and went to the Post office. Bought a couple                  of cards and posted them home - one arrived today (12th), no sign of the other one yet.

3rd Jan. New Island. All went ashore. Most walked across the island to cliffs where Rock Hopper Penguins and                    Albatross were nesting. Great displays of flying albatross, lots of chicks and many other seabirds. It was                possible to get remarkably close to these birds.

4th Jan. Carcass Island. Named after a boat apparently. Landed on the beach in a bay and walked to where                       Magellanic Penguins were breeding.Then walked about a mile or so to where there was a house                          and refreshments laid on. Saw lots of birdlife while walking, all the birds showed no fear of us and came              very close so it was easy to get some good photos. One even perched on the toe of my boot when I sat                down.

5th Jan. At sea heading for Punta Arenas where we arrived early on 6th Jan. The last night at sea was by far the               roughest with a Force 8 gale and 5m swell.

We had a night in Santiago where we went out in small groups to eat, followed by a tour of the city the following morning before going to the airport. The flight from Santiago to Bogata took about 6 hours, Bogata to Heathrow about 10. I got home almost exactly 24 hours after we took off from Santiago.

I took about 500 photos, now reduced a bit as I have weeded out some of the "not so good" ones. Some took far more than I did. I have to say that as I have at least 20 pictures of whale flukes sticking out of the sea, and loads of photos of Black Browed Albatross flying behind the ship, more weeding out is likely.

As I said earlier we were incredibly lucky with the weather, and also according to the Expedition Team there were an unprecedented number of whales around in Wilhelmina Bay the day we were there. I hope the next JY Group to go have the same experience as we did.

Peter

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Peter,

Many thanks for this great review of what was obviously the trip of a lifetime! It all sounds wonderful and you were so lucky with the weather.  And you had Yvette Barnett as your tour manager as well, she really is the best!

Cheers,

Bob

Jellifer
(Member)
Thanks for the great review. This is my dream trip and i considered going at Christmas but was swayed by sunshine and cruised the Caribbean instead!

Can I ask what the food was like on the boat and how much drinks were?

Many thanks

Jen

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks for the great and detailed review Peter. Glad you had a fantastic time. This holiday sounds amazing although such a long time spent on a boat is not for me despite loving the sea!!
PeterG
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Jellifer' wrote:

Thanks for the great review. This is my dream trip and i considered going at Christmas but was swayed by sunshine and cruised the Caribbean instead!

Can I ask what the food was like on the boat and how much drinks were?

Many thanks

Jen

Hi Jen

You missed out on the Antarctic sunshine and high UV, I covered my face in factor 50 every time we went out. Forgot my thinning hair when we were whale watching and it was too warm for a woolly hat and had a sore scalp for 3 days.

The food was pretty good, we had some lovely fish (I don't include dried cod in that description), reindeer meat, beef and pork. As a carnivore I can't comment on the vegetarian options.

Breakfast was buffet style with a reasonable choice. Lunch - well you could choose to eat a 3 course meal, or, as many of us did, just have soup and a sweet.

The evening meal was either a buffet type, or a set menu which was served by the staff. We had fixed tables for the set menu meals.

Drinks were not as expensive as I had expected. A glass of house wine was 49NKr (about £5) as was a large beer. Some bought a bottle of wine and drank it over several nights (they got a number for the bottle and for themselves and the bottle was kept for them). I have no idea what a bottle cost but there was a fairly extensive wine list.

Peter

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thank you for a comprehensive review Peter. Much as I would love to be close to the birdlife and whales and see the ice bergs, cruising is not for me. I would not cope at all with rough weather and big swells. Looks like you had a wonderful time.

Kind regards

Jaya

katy1717
(Member)
Many thanks for posting this review Peter, I had been hoping someone would do a review. This is a trip I would like to do sometime. Also interested in your description of the ship MS Midnatsol, as this ship is used in some Hurtigruten cruises around Norway in the summer and I'm very interested in these (and also their trips to Greenland).

Katy

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Peter

Wow, that sounds like a fabulous tour, and amazing sights. Glad you had a great time.. thank you for posting such a detailed review.

Cindy

jwb
  • (Member)
(Member)
Peter,

Thank you very much for your fulsome review of this trip. It sounds fantastic! I am going on it in February (minus the Falkland Islands) and you have just boosted my sense of anticipation!! The info about situation on board Midnatsol is useful.

I have a couple of questions you may be able to answer if you are able:-

Does the tour manager travel with you from UK?

Do you need much cash?, e.g. for Chile, as I understand you can pay by credit card on board at the end.

And did you need any other wind/waterproof coat apart from the one you get on board?

I would be grateful for any tips you are able to offer. I am soooooo looking forward to this trip!!!

Thanks,

John

Jellifer
(Member)
Hi Jen

You missed out on the Antarctic sunshine and high UV, I covered my face in factor 50 every time we went out. Forgot my thinning hair when we were whale watching and it was too warm for a woolly hat and had a sore scalp for 3 days.

The food was pretty good, we had some lovely fish (I don't include dried cod in that description), reindeer meat, beef and pork. As a carnivore I can't comment on the vegetarian options.

Breakfast was buffet style with a reasonable choice. Lunch - well you could choose to eat a 3 course meal, or, as many of us did, just have soup and a sweet.

The evening meal was either a buffet type, or a set menu which was served by the staff. We had fixed tables for the set menu meals.

Drinks were not as expensive as I had expected. A glass of house wine was 49NKr (about £5) as was a large beer. Some bought a bottle of wine and drank it over several nights (they got a number for the bottle and for themselves and the bottle was kept for them). I have no idea what a bottle cost but there was a fairly extensive wine list.

Peter

Thanks so much Peter - really helpful info.

At the moment the only JY departure is 1st Jan '18 which I can't make work but if they were to offer Christmas again I'd be there in a heartbeat!

PeterG
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'jwb' wrote:

Peter,

Thank you very much for your fulsome review of this trip. It sounds fantastic! I am going on it in February (minus the Falkland Islands) and you have just boosted my sense of anticipation!! The info about situation on board Midnatsol is useful.

I have a couple of questions you may be able to answer if you are able:-

Does the tour manager travel with you from UK?

Do you need much cash?, e.g. for Chile, as I understand you can pay by credit card on board at the end.

And did you need any other wind/waterproof coat apart from the one you get on board?

I would be grateful for any tips you are able to offer. I am soooooo looking forward to this trip!!!

Thanks,

John

Hi John

In our case the tour manager did travel with us.

I took about £100 of Chilean currency but didn't spend it all, you will need some food the day you arrive in Santiago and when you get back there after the cruise and you may spend some in Punta Arenas and Puerto Williams. I took a few US dollars I had for the flight change in Bogata to buy a coffee.

You pay by credit card at the end of the cruise for whatever you purchase on the boat (in Norwegian Kroner) - that includes purchases in the shop, wine at mealtimes (and other times as well of course).

I didn't take a waterproof/windproof jacket and used the one provided. It certainly kept the sea water spray off and the wind out and is of quite reasonable quality. Some people left the jacket behind but I thought it was too good to do that - it's a bit bright for general wear (light blue with a fluorescent yellow hood) but it is now living in the boot of the car as a "just in case I need it" coat.

Peter

jwb
  • (Member)
(Member)
Peter,

Many thanks for your very useful insight. If you think of anything else that may be of use for me to know please post it and I will check this forum a couple more times before I leave on 15/2/2017.

Hope that I have as good an experience as you obviously had.

John

fleurbyfleur
(Member)
I so want to do this trip and JY does a very reasonable price compared to other tour operators.

But I'm scared of rough seas (a few bad experiences).  I wish I'd done this 2016 trip as it seems the seas were reasonably kind!  One day I'll pluck up the courage... any words of encouragement would be very welcome!

(I don't get seasick - just terrified.)

SylviaJ
(Member)
Peter

Great review. I'm glad everything went so well for this trip. I'm not a great traveller on water so will have to forgo this one unless I dose myself up on travel sickness pills - possibly not!

Regards

Sylvia