Chris13
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
My first Just You excursion - a very positive experience and I will be looking to go on other trips. 

Circumstances meant this tour was based at the Be Live Costa Palma hotel at Cala Major just outside Palma and not Port de Pollenca as advertised. This did disappoint some members of the group - I chose the original destination as I have good memories of family holidays in the area. 

I have to say I was more than happy with the accommodation and would recommend it to other visitors. Yes Cala Major does not have the visual appeal of the bay of Pollenca and the surroundings. It is a pretty standard resort but pleasant enough and not noisy or rowdy. The beach is in a small cove and serves very well. Cala Major does have the advantage of being close to Palma which is a short €1.50 journey on the regular excellent bus service very close to the hotel. A taxi would cost around €10. 

My hotel room was spacious and comfortable as well as clean. I was on the first floor just above the entrance - I wasn't troubled by noise. A good balcony - the view of the bay would have been better on a higher floor (top floor is the sixth) but no matter. We were on an all inclusive basis, the food I found to be excellent. Buffet service with chefs on hand to cook on demand - for example omelette for breakfast and meat at the evening meal. All drinks were all inclusive including bottled water. Some beer and spirits invoked a cost which for all inclusive customers were at half the marked price. 

The buffet lunch was at the adjacent Be Live Marivent as was the evening entertainment which means the Costa Palma is pleasantly quiet in the evening. The hotel is an adult only hotel which makes a big difference. No rowdiness or excess drinking from other guests. As with all hotels I've been to they fight a losing battle with towels on pool loungers but that isn't an issue for me. Snacks are available lunch time and afternoons at the Costa Palma - also on all inclusive. 

The hotel staff I found friendly and helpful. The rooms have safes at reasonable daily cost with €10 deposit. I used the hotel wifi which was very good. Cost was €20 for the week - we had a discount, normally €30 per week. 

The Just You experience was excellent - down to the services of our representative George Wales. Other members of our group had met him before and rightly sung his praises, some had done their research and knew he was to accompany us on this tour. I cannot emphasise enough what a difference he made to making this tour run smoothly and his local knowledge was invaluable as well as comprehensive. He stayed at the hotel and ate and drank (soft drink only, his choice!) which meant he became a friend rather that just 'our representative'. 

Our party numbered just 19 which made it a friendly and cohesive group. I like to think I got on well with the other members (I certainly thought so) though clearly it is for them to say. I went on all the organised tours which I thoroughly enjoyed and explored new areas (to me) in Majorca including Soller and Valdemossa which were charming. 

The free days I explored the local area and Palma. In Cala Major I went to the Miro art gallery which is worth a look. I also walked three miles to the monument which overlooks the resort near to Genova and affords an excellent view over Palma and much of Majorca. In Palma I found the excellent Lorien bar - which if, like me, you like craft beer is a great find. 

I think that just about covers my experience. Majorca is a great place and was happy to revisit. Staying at Cala Major rather than Port de Pollenca did not detract for me - the hotel offers excellent accommodation and service. I wouldn't suggest being based at Cala Major rather than Port de Pollenca should put anyone off going on the tour to Majorca. A tour was arranged to Port de Pollenca and the surrounding area - so I was able to go on my own little 'memory lane' trip. 

I have really enjoyed travelling with Just You and would recommend the Majorca tour whether based at Cala Major or Port de Pollenca. 

Did I mention the excellent George Wales, our representative? Thank you George - hope we meet again.

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to share your first Just You experience with us - I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your holiday to Magical Mallorca.

As with all reviews we receive, I will forward all of your comments to the wider Just You team.

Kindest regards,

Julia

AnnF
  • (Member)
(Member)
I'm so glad you enjoyed your holiday, Chris, even though it wasn't at Puerto Pollensa as originally advertised. I went on this trip in May last year, staying at PP, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience too. And, yes, George Wales is absolutely marvellous and knowledgeable. Nothing seems to phase him - in our case it was two lots of pickpocketing and one lost camera but he just calmly dealt with it all as if it wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

Ann

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Chris

Thank you for posting a very comprehensive review of your very first tour, I am glad you had a good time.

Cindy

Barbara j
(Member)
That was a great review Chris, and very accurate too.  I agree with everything you said.  Loved the holiday and have to say that the hotel did all they could to make us comfortable and happy with our change of accommodation.  This is the second holiday I have done with Just You and George Wales.  George is very knowledgable about Majorca and goes that extra mile to make sure everyone has a good time.  

Nice to meet you Chris.

suer
  • (Member)
(Member)
Chris

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip. Im also booked on this holiday in Sept so I appreciate all your good comments. It will be my first time to PP. Sue

Kezzer46
(Member)
Hi Chris,

Thanks for this wonderful review. Sounds like a great holiday.

Kind Regards

Kezzer

Itisme
(Member)
Hi Chris, Thanks for this post. I am going this holiday in September and this information from you has been reassuring and sounds like our TM will be a George Wales. The TM on my last holiday with JY was terrible and the hotel food poor so again thanks for your post. I can now look forward to Magical Mallorca with the hope it will be Magical.
Eljay
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Chris13' wrote:

My first Just You excursion - a very positive experience and I will be looking to go on other trips. 

Circumstances meant this tour was based at the Be Live Costa Palma hotel at Cala Major just outside Palma and not Port de Pollenca as advertised. This did disappoint some members of the group - I chose the original destination as I have good memories of family holidays in the area. 

I have to say I was more than happy with the accommodation and would recommend it to other visitors. Yes Cala Major does not have the visual appeal of the bay of Pollenca and the surroundings. It is a pretty standard resort but pleasant enough and not noisy or rowdy. The beach is in a small cove and serves very well. Cala Major does have the advantage of being close to Palma which is a short €1.50 journey on the regular excellent bus service very close to the hotel. A taxi would cost around €10. 

My hotel room was spacious and comfortable as well as clean. I was on the first floor just above the entrance - I wasn't troubled by noise. A good balcony - the view of the bay would have been better on a higher floor (top floor is the sixth) but no matter. We were on an all inclusive basis, the food I found to be excellent. Buffet service with chefs on hand to cook on demand - for example omelette for breakfast and meat at the evening meal. All drinks were all inclusive including bottled water. Some beer and spirits invoked a cost which for all inclusive customers were at half the marked price. 

The buffet lunch was at the adjacent Be Live Marivent as was the evening entertainment which means the Costa Palma is pleasantly quiet in the evening. The hotel is an adult only hotel which makes a big difference. No rowdiness or excess drinking from other guests. As with all hotels I've been to they fight a losing battle with towels on pool loungers but that isn't an issue for me. Snacks are available lunch time and afternoons at the Costa Palma - also on all inclusive. 

The hotel staff I found friendly and helpful. The rooms have safes at reasonable daily cost with €10 deposit. I used the hotel wifi which was very good. Cost was €20 for the week - we had a discount, normally €30 per week. 

The Just You experience was excellent - down to the services of our representative George Wales. Other members of our group had met him before and rightly sung his praises, some had done their research and knew he was to accompany us on this tour. I cannot emphasise enough what a difference he made to making this tour run smoothly and his local knowledge was invaluable as well as comprehensive. He stayed at the hotel and ate and drank (soft drink only, his choice!) which meant he became a friend rather that just 'our representative'. 

Our party numbered just 19 which made it a friendly and cohesive group. I like to think I got on well with the other members (I certainly thought so) though clearly it is for them to say. I went on all the organised tours which I thoroughly enjoyed and explored new areas (to me) in Majorca including Soller and Valdemossa which were charming. 

The free days I explored the local area and Palma. In Cala Major I went to the Miro art gallery which is worth a look. I also walked three miles to the monument which overlooks the resort near to Genova and affords an excellent view over Palma and much of Majorca. In Palma I found the excellent Lorien bar - which if, like me, you like craft beer is a great find. 

I think that just about covers my experience. Majorca is a great place and was happy to revisit. Staying at Cala Major rather than Port de Pollenca did not detract for me - the hotel offers excellent accommodation and service. I wouldn't suggest being based at Cala Major rather than Port de Pollenca should put anyone off going on the tour to Majorca. A tour was arranged to Port de Pollenca and the surrounding area - so I was able to go on my own little 'memory lane' trip. 

I have really enjoyed travelling with Just You and would recommend the Majorca tour whether based at Cala Major or Port de Pollenca. 

Did I mention the excellent George Wales, our representative? Thank you George - hope we meet again.

Hi Chris, it was great to meet you on holiday and I agree it was an exceptionally friendly group with an exceptional tour manager. As I was one of those disappointed with the location change, this made a big difference to the holiday. I think your review is very accurate but I was disappointed by some of the things that didn't bother you.

I thought the hotel, the food and the staff were excellent but some things were lacking. I was never able to get a sun bed which was a big problem for me as I paid 11 euros a day on the beach for one and wasn't able to take advantage of the All Inclusive at the hotel. The beach was also very small and it would be hard to get a bed there after 11 am. My main disappointment was the resort of Cala Mayor as there was nothing there. No shops, bars or restaurants if you wanted a change from the hotel. Our original hotel offered daytime and evening activities that I would have enjoyed. The wifi was also free there so I felt I spent a lot more money than I should have done. I think I must have had the room next door as I had the same view. The sea view was promised as a sweetener for the hotel change but we never really got it!

Overall I enjoyed the holiday but this was largely due to the group, tour manager and hotel staff, I remain disappointed at the change of hotel.

brownowl
(Member)
Hi Chris,

It was great meeting you in Mallorca, and thank you for writing a brilliant review.  I concur with everything you say, especially in respect of George Wales our TM. George is efficient, reliable, friendly, kind and caring, and we were very lucky to be part of his group.  

We had a fantastic group of people, and I would like to thank all of you for a wonderful holiday.

I sincerely hope that our paths cross again one day.

Sheila x 😃

suer
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Itisme' wrote:

Hi Chris, Thanks for this post. I am going this holiday in September and this information from you has been reassuring  and sounds like our TM will be a George Wales. The TM on my last holiday with JY was terrible and ttvhe hotel food poor so again thanks for your post. I can now look forward to Magical Mallorca with the hope it will be Magical.

i

[quote pid='288004' dateline='1466072471']

Hi Itisme,I'm going on this trip in Sept too...so see you then. Sue

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Chris

A great review. It is pleasing to note that the change of the hotel did not disappoint you neither did it ruin the enjoyment of a holiday. I personally would not have let this small change bother me either. I do not like sunbathing, but can understand that it can be a problem for someone who loves it and can't get a sunbed. Unfortunately, most hotels are unable to provide a sunbed for every guest so it is always on a first come first served basis!

Jaya

Barbara j
(Member)
'brownowl' wrote:

Hi Chris,

It was great meeting you in Mallorca, and thank you for writing a brilliant review.  I concur with everything you say, especially in respect of George Wales our TM. George is efficient, reliable, friendly, kind and caring, and we were very lucky to be part of his group.  

We had a fantastic group of people, and I would like to thank all of you for a wonderful holiday.

Sheila x :D

Hi Sheila , good to meet you in Majorca, have looked for you on facebook but haven't found you yet, will keep trying xxxx

elliejane
(Member)
Hi, have just read review from Chris. Very good review. I also was disappointed with the change of hotel but I feel we got the better hotel in the end.The staff were always friendly and efficient. I feel the entertainment could have finished a bit later than 10:30pm but I appreciate the times have to suit the majority. The standard and type of entertainment did vary greatly.

There was a good variety of food however I did feel that if you were vegetarian there did not seem to be a great choice but if asked I am sure the chefs would have been able to make something. My only complaint about the food that there were a couple of nights the vegetables were so cold I could nt eat them. The problem of Buffet Style meals.!

The group was small but it meant everyone talked to everyone and most people went to the entertainment together, everyone mixing well.

George our rep was fantastic sorting my room with style and efficiency immediately he found out the problem, he also lent me his phone adaptor for the week.

I would highly recommend this holiday and any holidays that George is the rep for. He is friendly , efficient and knows his stuff.!

Alison O
(Member)
Great review Chris. It was lovely to meet you and everyone else. I agree with all the points you raised. I really enjoyed this trip and meeting everyone. Three cheers for George Wales, our brilliant tour manager.

Alison

brownowl
(Member)
'Barbara j' wrote:

'brownowl' wrote:

Hi Chris,

Sheila x :D

Hi Sheila , good to meet you in Majorca, have looked for you on facebook but haven't found you yet, will keep trying xxxx

Hi Barbara,  sorry I didn't see you after security, but hope you all had a good flight.  I have tried to find Alison and Linda on Fb, without any luck.  We are all well hidden!  Thank you for your company, which definitely helped me to have a fantastic holiday.  Love and best wishes xxx

Barbara j
(Member)
Hello itisme, I am sure you will have a lovely time in sept , in Majorca.  Your TM , George is the best rep you could possibly have.  He is very experienced and very knowledgable about Majorca.  You can have every confidence in George to look after everyone. His attention to detail is amazing ! Have a lovely time.  

BarbaraJ x