janib
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Have been looking forward to this trip as it ticked three boxes for me.

Eurostar was easy as I have already done this trip in May with the Battlefield Tour. Met up with Jackie, the TM, then went through Customs. More police than normal giving one young lad cause to exclaim about the 'big guns'.

Lille was easy. Our hotel Crown Plaza was across the road from the train station. The change from Novotel was a pleasant surprise as there was chocolates on the bed and a bottle of Evian water. I had a room at the back overlooking the local cemetery :-/

A welcome drink before walking into town. The Christmas Market had just started, a ferris wheel that was so fast. Met up with Steph and Kate, went on the ferris wheel with Kate. 5 euros was a cheap form of fear whilst I took lots of photos over the roof tops :thumbup:

La Chicoree gave us a great meal for under 20 Euros with a drink.

The market had some wonderful items for sale so we remembered what we wanted and the price so we could check in Bruges.

Saturday 28th November. A substantial breakfast as a buffet kept me well fed. One of two optional tours today. Trip to Ghent on a normal coach for 10 of us was a waste of money as a smaller minibus would have sufficed. The Davis Cup was in full swing so Ghent was very busy. One Scottish lady had Tartan everything. Her family and friends were walking in front of her as she caused quite a scene in her outfit. We actually congratulated her on her bravery :P

We went on the canal boat and as most of us were English, the boatman spoke in English. We saw Sue Barker on the canal bank filming. We managed to get her to give us a wave, then as she got ready for filming, I waved again. Not sure if I was on the TV :thumbup:

Free toilets by the bridge are amazing. Other places you have to pay 50 cents if you want a toilet. Jackie gave us a map with all the main places to see. Went into the cathedral, very pretty. Christmas Market was being erected, does not start till 4th December :(

The sun had been shining all day until we got on the bus when it started to rain by Lille. Had an hour before rushing out with the others for the second optional trip for the Last Post at Menin Gate, Ypres. I had done this trip on the Battlefields Tour so knew what to expect. Time for a snack and most of the shops are still open. The whole Last Post lasted 10 minutes as there was only one set of wreaths to be laid. A couple of drummers with an elderly man who accompanied them. Went back to the Wool Market where there was an ice rink and a cafe selling hot chocolate :)

Sunday 29th November. Trip to Bruges for all 16 of us. Went on the boat trip in the rain. Not so good as Ghent as it was speaking on a loop with Flemish first then English. Tried the Belgian waffle with hot chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream which was heaven in a restaurant with a real fire. The Christmas Market was disappointing. We bought nothing.

We were told about Michaelangelos' Madonna and Child in the Cathedral. Could not see it due to building work unless you paid to go into the Museum :huh:

During the evening we had our dinner. Some of the people had allergies and this caused a few problems even when they were catered for. A lot of bad feelings were expressed by the amount of money paid for the optional excursions. As this was my 9th trip, this is normal for me. Poor Jackie, the TM, caught all the flack.

Monday 30th November. Left suitcase at the desk and checked out. Caught the tour bus in Lille that runs every hour for 12 euros. Earphones made it easy to look and learn. Went back into the Market and bought the items that I had seen. Had lunch before we had to be back at the hotel. The Eurostar was half hour late which left some of us running across London to get our coach connections at Victoria.

So, three ticks for Ghent- loved it, Bruges- not so much and a Christmas Market :thumbup:

Jan

SarahS
(Member)
Wow, you packed a lot into four days. Perhaps JY should consider putting departure back a week in future years, so all the markets are in full swing.
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Jan

Thanks for the review, sounds as if you were very busy! Shame all the markets were not in full swing.

Cindy

janib
(Member) (Topic Starter)
We agreed Sarah about postponing the trip till Ghent was in full swing. Guess the price would go up as it would be December 😞 Such a shame as it looked as if it was going to be fun.

ps Carrefour at Euralille is worth going into. Most of it, I can find in the local Tescos here in Portsmouth. Take a bag as they have been charging for years in France. A map of Lille produced by Galleries Lafayette had a free gift from the Customer Services- do not bother as they had finished that offer :dodgy:

Jan

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jan

Glad you enjoyed your trip despite the Christmas market not open in Ghent. Unfortunately you always get some people who do moan. Personally nothing is cheap nowadays! I have been to Frankfurt and Heidelberg Christmas markets a few years ago and found that there was not much difference between them. They are fun though.

Jaya

RaeW
  • (Member)
(Member)
Enjoyed reading your very informative review, Jan. Sounds as though you had another action packed JY holiday. I agree about the Ghent boat trips being better than some in Bruges but it's something you 'have to do'! The old town of Ghent is really lovely and a pleasant place to walk around. Bruges pancakes, hot chocolate sauce, and vanilla ice cream... mmmmm!

Rae

Katewa24
(Member)
Hi Jan,

It was a lovely trip and you and Steph made good company. Ypres was lovely as was Ghent, Bruges a bit touristy but nice to see and I was surprised how quick eurostar was. All in all a good trip.

Kate :thumbup:

'janib' wrote:

Have been looking forward to this trip as it ticked three boxes for me.

Eurostar was easy as I have already done this trip in May with the Battlefield Tour. Met up with Jackie, the TM, then went through Customs. More police than normal giving one young lad cause to exclaim about the 'big guns'.

Lille was easy. Our hotel Crown Plaza was across the road from the train station. The change from Novotel was a pleasant surprise as there was chocolates on the bed and a bottle of Evian water. I had a room at the back overlooking the local cemetery :-/

A welcome drink before walking into town. The Christmas Market had just started, a ferris wheel that was so fast. Met up with Steph and Kate, went on the ferris wheel with Kate. 5 euros was a cheap form of fear whilst I took lots of photos over the roof tops :thumbup:

La Chicoree gave us a great meal for under 20 Euros with a drink.

The market had some wonderful items for sale so we remembered what we wanted and the price so we could check in Bruges.

Saturday 28th November. A substantial breakfast as a buffet kept me well fed. One of two optional tours today. Trip to Ghent on a normal coach for 10 of us was a waste of money as a smaller minibus would have sufficed. The Davis Cup was in full swing so Ghent was very busy. One Scottish lady had Tartan everything. Her family and friends were walking in front of her as she caused quite a scene in her outfit. We actually congratulated her on her bravery :P

We went on the canal boat and as most of us were English, the boatman spoke in English. We saw Sue Barker on the canal bank filming. We managed to get her to give us a wave, then as she got ready for filming, I waved again. Not sure if I was on the TV :thumbup:

Free toilets by the bridge are amazing. Other places you have to pay 50 cents if you want a toilet. Jackie gave us a map with all the main places to see. Went into the cathedral, very pretty. Christmas Market was being erected, does not start till 4th December :(

The sun had been shining all day until we got on the bus when it started to rain by Lille. Had an hour before rushing out with the others for the second optional trip for the Last Post at Menin Gate, Ypres. I had done this trip on the Battlefields Tour so knew what to expect. Time for a snack and most of the shops are still open. The whole Last Post lasted 10 minutes as there was only one set of wreaths to be laid. A couple of drummers with an elderly man who accompanied them. Went back to the Wool Market where there was an ice rink and a cafe selling hot chocolate :)

Sunday 29th November. Trip to Bruges for all 16 of us. Went on the boat trip in the rain. Not so good as Ghent as it was speaking on a loop with Flemish first then English. Tried the Belgian waffle with hot chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream which was heaven in a restaurant with a real fire. The Christmas Market was disappointing. We bought nothing.

We were told about Michaelangelos' Madonna and Child in the Cathedral. Could not see it due to building work unless you paid to go into the Museum :huh:

During the evening we had our dinner. Some of the people had allergies and this caused a few problems even when they were catered for. A lot of bad feelings were expressed by the amount of money paid for the optional excursions. As this was my 9th trip, this is normal for me. Poor Jackie, the TM, caught all the flack.

Monday 30th November. Left suitcase at the desk and checked out. Caught the tour bus in Lille that runs every hour for 12 euros. Earphones made it easy to look and learn. Went back into the Market and bought the items that I had seen. Had lunch before we had to be back at the hotel. The Eurostar was half hour late which left some of us running across London to get our coach connections at Victoria.

So, three ticks for Ghent- loved it, Bruges- not so much and a Christmas Market :thumbup:

Jan

Katewa24
(Member)
Hi Jan

It was a lovely trip and you and Steph made good company. Ghent was lovely and the ceremony at Ypres was very special. Bruges was a bit touristy but nice to see.

Eurostar was very quick, all in all a good trip

Kate :thumbup:

wanny
  • (Member)
(Member)
'RaeW' wrote:

Enjoyed reading your very informative review, Jan. Sounds as though you had another action packed JY holiday. I agree about the Ghent boat trips being better than some in Bruges but it's something you 'have to do'! The old town of Ghent is really lovely and a pleasant place to walk around. Bruges pancakes, hot chocolate sauce, and vanilla ice cream... mmmmm!

Rae

sadly when I wen,t I "saved" myself for the Bruges boat and not the Ghent that everyone raved about 😞

Bosuncat
(Member)
Looks like you had a good time Jan.

What did you think about the change of hotel in Lille? I personally liked the Novotel apart from that included evening meal.

janib
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello Kate,

Good to see you on here. I loved the trip :)

Hello Elaine, The hotel is apparently only changed for the Christmas Markets. The Novotel is used for the other trips. There were lots of British coaches dropping off near the train station including Angela's from Southampton, just up the road from where I live. The cost of Crown Plaza for a night was 300 euros- ow!

Jan