maglynn
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
This was a brilliant trip from start to finish, with some moments better than others. Both Jeff Hall, our Tour Manager, and Philip our driver, were extremely knowledgeable and went out their way to ensure we got the best views etc. They were also good fun, which is important on these holidays!

Highlights for me included Lake Louise, early morning reflections at Pyramid Lake, the Peak to Peak gondola at Whistler and Victoria on Vancouver Island. I also took the optional raft trip which was great fun and the gondola ride to Sulphur Mountain.

While travellers in 2016 will have a different, 2-day trip on the Rocky Mountaineer, our day was pretty enjoyable but the views paled into insignificance compared with what we had already seen around Banff and Jasper. Having previously visited Norway and New Zealand I thought I had seen the ultimate in beautiful mountain landscapes, but the Rockies' scenery tops all others to date!!

I imagine that the new schedule will be an improvement and will also leave more free time in Vancouver, which was a bit of an issue for some of us as it is an amazing city and well worth exploring.

However, I acknowledge that an awful lot was packed into our trip, including the foodie tour etc. on the final day, and it was all very worthwhile. One minor detail..........while most of the hotels were extremely good, the breakfast the Best Western in Vancouver was ridiculous - we were handed a "set breakfast" with no choice (except for tea or coffee, or to pay for something else!). The plate had lots of food which hardly anyone was able to eat, and, unlike the other hotels, there was no fruit available except as an "extra". I can't think how it is worthwhile for the hotel to have so much food wasted while with a buffet those who want a smalle, lighter, breakfast can choose that. Just a comment!!

Overall I loved this trip and would do it again given the opportunity - but then I have said that about almost all of the JY holidays I have been on. I still have many more trips to complete before I get around to "repeats" !!

Anyone thinking of doing this trip shouldn't hesitate - we all had a great time.

Regards

Marie

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Marie,

Many thanks for your great review - I was very tempted to book Canada for next year but when the Borneo tour came out I went for it instead! I hope to do Canada in 2017 or 2018. Fingers crossed it's still available then! I'm delighted you had such a brilliant holiday and especially that you found the scenery to be so breathtaking - this is always the highlight for me on any tour so I know I will have a treat in store whenever I get around to doing it!

Best wishes,

Bob

AnnF
  • (Member)
(Member)
I'm so glad you enjoyed the holiday, Marie. I did it in June 2013 without the trip on the Rocky Mountaineer (fortunately for us, because there was a broken-down train in the Spiral Tunnels and the RM couldn't go any further). I too have been to Norway and totally agree about the scenery in the Rockies.

Your comment about breakfast at the Best Western in Vancouver struck a chord - the whole thing with their restaurant was grim and I avoided using it at all, going to a local coffee shop instead. It is probably fine for business customers who just want to be in and out for their next meeting as quickly as possible. Fortunately it is only a very small part of the whole holiday and, until I read your comment, I had almost forgotten about it.

Having been from east to west in Canada, I have now booked up for the revised "Canada and New England in the Fall" trip in June next year so I'll get to go south to north as well.

Ann

PaulineD
(Member)
'maglynn' wrote:

This was a brilliant trip from start to finish, with some moments better than others. Both Jeff Hall, our Tour Manager, and Philip our driver, were extremely knowledgeable and went out their way to ensure we got the best views etc. They were also good fun, which is important on these holidays!

Highlights for me included Lake Louise, early morning reflections at Pyramid Lake, the Peak to Peak gondola at Whistler and Victoria on Vancouver Island. I also took the optional raft trip which was great fun and the gondola ride to Sulphur Mountain.

While travellers in 2016 will have a different, 2-day trip on the Rocky Mountaineer, our day was pretty enjoyable but the views paled into insignificance compared with what we had already seen around Banff and Jasper. Having previously visited Norway and New Zealand I thought I had seen the ultimate in beautiful mountain landscapes, but the Rockies' scenery tops all others to date!!

I imagine that the new schedule will be an improvement and will also leave more free time in Vancouver, which was a bit of an issue for some of us as it is an amazing city and well worth exploring.

However, I acknowledge that an awful lot was packed into our trip, including the foodie tour etc. on the final day, and it was all very worthwhile. One minor detail..........while most of the hotels were extremely good, the breakfast the Best Western in Vancouver was ridiculous - we were handed a "set breakfast" with no choice (except for tea or coffee, or to pay for something else!). The plate had lots of food which hardly anyone was able to eat, and, unlike the other hotels, there was no fruit available except as an "extra". I can't think how it is worthwhile for the hotel to have so much food wasted while with a buffet those who want a smalle, lighter, breakfast can choose that. Just a comment!!

Overall I loved this trip and would do it again given the opportunity - but then I have said that about almost all of the JY holidays I have been on. I still have many more trips to complete before I get around to "repeats" !!

Anyone thinking of doing this trip shouldn't hesitate - we all had a great time.

Regards

Marie

Hi Marie,

I did this trip last year and, like you, thought the breakfast idea was ludicrous. It wasn't until the last morning when we actually said something about it to our waiter we were told that we could have different items to those we were served up without having to pay for them but it was a bit late then as we had all finished our breakfasts!!

gill54
(Member)
'maglynn' wrote:

Regards

Marie

Many thanks for review I'm on this holiday next May. It will be my 12th. Looking forward to spending 2 days on the train. Glad it all went well apart from your set breakfast which I've noted can be amended.

Gill

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Sounds like a great tour, I do have this in the back of my mind as a possibility to do one day...

Thank you for posting,

Cindy

murraymints
(Member)
Hi Marie, thanks for your interesting and informative review of what sounds like a fabulous holiday. I am thinking of going on this trip maybe May/ June or September and was wondering what the weather might be like and whether there is a big difference between Mountainous areas and elsewhere.

Thanks I would appreciate any information.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi I'm now thinking about doing this tour in Sept next year and from what I've been able to gather from the web is that in May and possibly June the mountains will still be snow-capped and in June there should be plenty of wildflowers. In Sept, the autumn colours are meant to be beautiful so take your pick, it sounds like any of the dates would be great!

Cheers,

Bob

JustJan1
(Member)
I did this trip June 2015 and it's a super trip from start to finish. I would certainly recommend it. Jan.
SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi All

I did this trip minus the Mountaineer in September 2013. It was magical with unseasonably warm weather.

Our TM, Brian Croft, said I had got it all wrong and should visit the area in May and then choose the Fall holiday for September. Have yet to visit Canada in the spring but likely to be doing Alaska in May which is almost Canada!

Regards

Sylvia

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sylvia why did Brian specifically recommend May - was it for wildflowers and snowcapped mountains? What was it like in Sept - did you see great Fall colours?

Cheers,

Bob

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob (and Sylvia)

I can't comment on May but my Rocky Mountaineer trip (also with JY's Canadian expert Brian Croft) was in the first two weeks of September and the autumnal colours hadn't really kicked in yet.

The first week, in the mountains, was bitterly cold overnight and pretty damp in the early mornings. It was around -3 and we had flurries of snow as we drove along the Icefield Parkway (cue loads of 'artie' photographs:) ) and we were all wrapped up in fleeces, hats and gloves.

Once we got to Jasper it was slightly warmer and there were plenty of mozzies about, especially on the Mount Edith Cavell hike (still well worth the trip to see the Angel Glacier, though).

The train ride itself was temperature controlled and extremely comfortable. When we reached Kamloops we were a bit surprised to see people in bathing costumes swimming in the river and sunbathing!

Once we got to Vancouver all of the fleeces were packed away and we switched to t-shirts as the temperatures hit the mid 20s. It was definitely a 'pack layers' kind of trip, but naturally, you can't really predict the weather and on any tour you are in the lap of the gods.

It's much further north, of course, but my Alaskan adventure is in May, so I'll let you know what the weather is like at that end of the Rockies at that time of year when I get back! (Speaking of Alaska - Sylvia, have you booked yet? I noticed today that both remaining dates have limited availability now - hope you don't miss out.

All the best

Mandy

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Bob

I have done two USA tours in September 2006 and 2014 yes I have seen some colours but not the magnificent show of colour! Perhaps it will one day be 3rd time lucky for me.

Cindy

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mandy and Cindy,

Thanks for your comments - Sept would suit me better but it sounds like May or June might be the better time to go weatherwise? Now I don't know what to do....

Cheers,

Bob

SylviaJ
(Member)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi Sylvia why did Brian specifically recommend May - was it for wildflowers and snowcapped mountains? What was it like in Sept - did you see great Fall colours?

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Bob

May is better for the wildlife as in Sept didn't really see much.

As for September, it was very warm when we were there with a chill at night and morning. The leaves were very slow in changing. This was the same when I was in Churchill in Nov/Dec last year. Global warming and all that!

Sylvia

SylviaJ
(Member)
'AELB' wrote:

Hi Bob (and Sylvia)

I can't comment on May but my Rocky Mountaineer trip (also with JY's Canadian expert Brian Croft) was in the first two weeks of September and the autumnal colours hadn't really kicked in yet.

The first week, in the mountains, was bitterly cold overnight and pretty damp in the early mornings. It was around -3 and we had flurries of snow as we drove along the Icefield Parkway (cue loads of 'artie' photographs:) ) and we were all wrapped up in fleeces, hats and gloves.

Once we got to Jasper it was slightly warmer and there were plenty of mozzies about, especially on the Mount Edith Cavell hike (still well worth the trip to see the Angel Glacier, though).

The train ride itself was temperature controlled and extremely comfortable. When we reached Kamloops we were a bit surprised to see people in bathing costumes swimming in the river and sunbathing!

Once we got to Vancouver all of the fleeces were packed away and we switched to t-shirts as the temperatures hit the mid 20s. It was definitely a 'pack layers' kind of trip, but naturally, you can't really predict the weather and on any tour you are in the lap of the gods.

It's much further north, of course, but my Alaskan adventure is in May, so I'll let you know what the weather is like at that end of the Rockies at that time of year when I get back! (Speaking of Alaska - Sylvia, have you booked yet? I noticed today that both remaining dates have limited availability now - hope you don't miss out.

All the best

Mandy

Hi Mandy

I haven't booked Alaska yet as will not have the funds until 3 Feb. I see June has been taken off the website and I cannot do September, so I'll be stuffed if all the places go before next week. I have everything crossed!

Sylvia

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sylvia, many thanks for the info - I will have some hard thinking to do when the May brochure comes out!

Best wishes,

Bob