jonah
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Have just returned from this trip and thought I would share a few thoughts. The British Airways flights were both late taking off and the one from Gatwick was a shambles with us boarding from the tarmac up steps in the end. The inflight food was awful. Hotel Mijas was delightful and the staff friendly and helpful. Alas the food was poor and for me largely inedible plus I and others were very disappointed with the Christmas Day dinner as we would have liked a traditional Spanish feast not a nod to British food. Claire, the tour guide was brilliant, nothing was too much trouble. The excursions were fantastic particularly Ronda and Nerja plus the weather was great all week. Mijas itself was beautiful and we enjoyed many a beer and chinwag in the sunshine. Overall I would recommend the holiday if you want to see Southern Spain but expect to supplement your hotel diet.
Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jonah,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with the Community, and that despite one or two parts, you would recommend this holiday.

I'm sure you are aware that the team take on board all feedback from our travellers and I have forwarded your comments on to the relevant teams.

Kindest regards,

Julia

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi I did the Andalucia tour with JY a few years ago and stayed at the Hotel Mijas. Although some people complained about the food on that tour, I thought it was absolutely fine. As is common with many large hotels, it was a buffet and the food was not very exciting but certainly more than edible! I suppose it's different strokes for different folks but I also think people need to be aware that many large hotels serve up rather bland buffet meals to cater for the maximum range of tastes and I don't go expecting a gourmet experience!

Best wishes,

Bob

SarahS
(Member)
I agree Bob, I was did the tour in the autumn. I really enjoyed the hotel Mijas. The food was acceptable, but the scenery and the delightful town just a bus ride up the hill more than made up for it. All of the excursions were good. It was great to see another side of Spain from the Costas
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
As a vegetarian I am just grateful for something I can eat. I always take snacks and nibbles with me just in case. I do go away with hubby for holidays as well, and we go all inclusive although the Buffett food can look amazing I honestly don't find there is much taste, even the puddings look scrummy but lack taste.

Cindy

jonah
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for the responses to my post. I certainly don't expect gourmet food when in an hotel abroad (although I would like it hot), perhaps less choice or a shorter service period is the way forward - I shudder to think of the amount of waste from what was left on plates uneaten to what was not even selected. The best part of the Christmas day meal was that the food was hot which proves it can be done but it was a set meal at a set time to a full restaurant
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
I agree with Bob. I did this trip in September 2010 and was not disappointed with the hotel or the food though having said this, I was not feeling very well and was hardly eating at all so perhaps did not notice the quality of the food on offer (this was just before I was diagnosed with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma). Like Cindy, being a vegetarian I am just grateful to have something I can eat. I am never disappointed as I say to myself that this is not home!

Jaya