turnke
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I have recently returned from the Aloha Hawaii trip .

We flew to LAX on Oct 7th,although it was a long flight,United provided plenty of inflight entertainment and service throughout.After a relatively short time in immigration(see posts elsewhere about delays at other airports) we boarded a coach for the 2 hour trip to San Diego.

The Crowne Plaza Hotel was a change to the advertised hotel,it was very comfortable,once you worked out the layout,and had a free shuttle to a nearby mall or the Old Town.The next day,there was a tour of the city,in the morning,visiting the Gaslamp District,Hotel del Coronado and Seaport Village.In the afternoon,there was a cruise around the north part of the Bay,past Navy ships and the lighthouse at the Cabrillo Monument.

The second day was free,most went to the Zoo,and others took the Trolley tour.

We had a very early start back to LAX,on the Thursday,for the flight to Honolulu.On arrival,we received Kukui nut leis,on the coach to Waikiki.The Princess Kaiulani Hotel is a big resort next to the International Marketplace and a short walk from the beach.

Due to the US Government shutdown,the local guide arranged a trip to the battleship USS Missouri,which was close to the Arizona Monument

so that at least we could see it.In the afternoon,there was a submarine trip off Waikiki Beach,there was plenty to see,even if the pictures I took did not show much.

On the Saturday,we went to the Polynesian Cultural Center,touring the various villages,in the afternoon,followed by a luau,and the "Ha,Breathe of Life"show.It was very interesting and well worth going to.

The next day,we had a tour of some of Oahu's beaches,the Pali lookout

(where the battle to unify Hawaii took place),and the Punchbowl Cemetery.In the evening,we went on a catamaran dinner cruise past Diamond Head and Waikiki.

Monday morning,there was a short flight to Maui,followed by a visit to the Iao Valley,and the Needle,then on to Lahaina,an old whaling port,before reaching the Royal Lahaina Resort at Kaanapali Beach my favourite of the hotels.In the grounds,there are 3 swimming pools plus the beachfront which was great for viewing sunsets.

Tuesday was a free day,the hotel had a shuttle to a nearby mall,Whaler's Village where there was a bus to Lahaina.

We were unable to go to Haleakala because of the shutdown,so the local guide arranged a trip along the road to Hana,a scenic drive of bridges, sharp bends,beaches and forests.After Hana we completed a circular tour of East Maui,including the lava fields from Haleakala's last eruption.

On Thursday,we flew back to LAX,for a couple of nights at the Courtyard Marriott in Culver City.This is the best hotel I have stayed at in LA,the staff were really friendly,and there was a mall within walking distance.The next morning,most of the group went to Hollywood,and in the afternoon,there was a trip to Venice Beach and Santa Monica.

Thank you to everybody for their company,especially Angie,Carol,Chris, Hazel and Lynne

AbbaDave
(Member)
Thanks for your review would love to do this trip at some time in the future
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks for the Hawaii report sound like fun

Cindy

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
Keith

Thanks for doing such a great review. I had promised Eric one, but work and family issues have kept me busy. It was a good trip - my favourite part without a doubt was Maui, in fact most of us commented that we could have done with longer here and less time in Oahu. Although it was a shame to miss the Haleakala crater visit, the Road to Hana trip was brilliant - a chance to see the island which we wouldn't have otherwise had.

Sally

the_baron1
(Member)
'sallyc' wrote:

Keith

Thanks for doing such a great review. I had promised Eric one, but work and family issues have kept me busy. It was a good trip - my favourite part without a doubt was Maui, in fact most of us commented that we could have done with longer here and less time in Oahu. Although it was a shame to miss the Haleakala crater visit, the Road to Hana trip was brilliant - a chance to see the island which we wouldn't have otherwise had.

Sally

Thanks Keith and Sally,

Looks like you found the trip similar to my partners one with Travelsphere and her favourite place also was Maui. She did see the Haleakala creater though, sorry you were unable to do so with National parks being closed. As you said Sally, Julia was also the opinion that more time could be spent in Maui.

Eric.

Brenda K
(Member)
'sallyc' wrote:

Keith

Sally

Hi Sal

Hope you're ok, family stuff and all that. Was great to meet you thanks for your company :-)

Bren x

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bren

It was lovely to meet you too. Sadly my grandfather passed away last week and unfortunatley my great uncle passed two days later so it hasn't been the best of weeks. They did however both make it to fine old ages and passed peacefully.

Thanks for making a great holiday even better, I keep looking back over the photos thinking it was all a dream.

Hope our paths cross again one holiday.

Sally

Brenda K
(Member)
'sallyc' wrote:

Hi Bren

It was lovely to meet you too. Sadly my grandfather passed away last week and unfortunatley my great uncle passed two days later so it hasn't been the best of weeks. They did however both make it to fine old ages and passed peacefully.

Thanks for making a great holiday even better, I keep looking back over the photos thinking it was all a dream.

Sally

Sally I'm so sorry for your loss xx

It was a good holiday wasn't it 🙂 I imagine countdown soon starting for your next one!

Take care

Bren x

Ariya
  • (Member)
(Member)
So sorry to hear that Sally. Hope you're ok. Was lovely to meet you and Brenda and everyone else on the trip. I really appreciate you including me and I needn't have worried about being the youngest, I didn't even notice once I was there. I had a fantastic time from start to finish and agree that Maui was amazing. I think my favourite day was the Road to Hana, the scenery was just stunning and more than made up for not being able to go to Haleakala due to the shutdown. I also keep looking over my photos and can't believe I was actually there. Just a couple of years ago I would have been too shy to even consider doing anything like this but I'm really glad I did. Already trying to decide where to go next year, will definitely be using Just You again :)

Also because I always enjoy looking at people's holiday photos, I thought I'd share mine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/106137053@N05/sets/ 

Hayley

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Hayley, your photos are stunning! Many thanks for sharing them, I'd be very interested in visiting Hawaii and I hope JY put it back on the itinerary at some stage. It looks incredibly beautiful and I'm delighted you had a great holiday.

Cheers,

Bob

Kezzer46
(Member)
Hi Hayley,

I agree with Bob, your pictures are stunning...Hawaii is definitely on my wish list of places to go. Unfortunately my wish list is larger than my bank balance:(

Thank you for sharing.

Kezzer

the_baron1
(Member)
Good afternoon Hayley,

Very impressed with you photos of your trip. Many are very colouful and you have perspective spot on. Do reconise some of the view's as my partner Julia took similar shots when on Travelsphere Aloha Hawaii tour in May this year.

Eric

Auntie D
(Member)
'the_baron1' wrote:

Good afternoon Hayley,

Very impressed with you photos of your trip. Many are very colouful and you have perspective spot on. Do reconise some of the view's as my partner Julia took similar shots when on Travelsphere Aloha Hawaii tour in May this year.

Eric

Afternoon Hayley,

Just loved all your photos of your trip. This has always been on my wish list, love to go to Hawaii one day and your photos have made me want to go even more!! However, I'll just have to have a special bank account for this trip and "make do" with European ones in the meantime!!

Thanks so much for sharing.

Good luck and happy travelling.

Denise

:):)

Auntie D
(Member)
'sallyc' wrote:

Hi Bren

Sally

Hello Sally,

I was so sorry to hear about your bereavements. Sending condolences to you and your family.

Denise.

:heart::heart: