Old Birkonian
(Member) (Topic Starter)
What a splendid holiday this is, all the more so if you are fortunate enough, as I was, to be part of such a convivial group of fellow travellers. Thank you to everyone concerned.

I am sorry I didn't get the opportunity to say goodbye to everyone, especially to the Lancastrians who had a connecting flight to Manchester and missed the delights of Heathrow's Baggage Hall. We could have done with some Eccy Thump.

I have no tips to offer to would be travellers to Egypt - they were all taken by the nationals!

I would be happy to receive, by email, copies any photographs, incriminating or otherwise, of the trip. Perhaps Olly of JustYou could, on request, advise you my email address. With every good wish, Peter Walling.

Linda L
(Member)
Hi Peter

I'm so glad you posted this message. I do the same trip on the 10 May. Couple of questions please. Roughly, how much should I allow for tipping, and also the evening meals on day 1 and 2, and in what currency. What was the temperature - I have looked on the weather site and it says 92F, but I thought that was quite hot for this time of year. Looking forward to your reply

Regards Linda L

Linda L
(Member)
Hi Peter

I'm so glad you posted this message. I do the same trip on the 10 May. Couple of questions please. Roughly, how much should I allow for tipping, and also the evening meals on day 1 and 2, and in what currency. What was the temperature - I have looked on the weather site and it says 92F, but I thought that was quite hot for this time of year. Looking forward to your reply

Regards Linda L

Old Birkonian
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Linda

JustYou recommend £1 sterling per day for the driver and twice as much for the Local Guide. In terms of Egyptian pounds (E£) this is roughly 10 and 20 respectively. The lowest denominations for Egyptian notes is 5, 10 and 20 and I would suggest you change your 100 and 200 E£ notes to these smaller ones at the hotel's bank on Day 1.

I took all my currency in Egyptian pounds as while most places take US$ there did not seem to be any advantage and it also avoided the hassle of establishing exchange rates. Remember Egyptian tourism and street traders expect tipping even when using loos in public/official places such as airport loos. I found that having a stock of UK 20p pieces useful in this respect; handing over a E£ 5 note was excessive.

The temperatures are on the rise now so while we had pleasant temperatures in the upper 20s/low 30s C you could expect much higher temperatures. As for meals, JY's local guide arranged "excluded" meals so we all ate together and I if remember correctly the cost per meal was about E£30 exc drinks.

Enjoy. Peter W