sookie222
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello JY, I've travelled with you a couple of times and had a fabulous time.  I live in Newcastle but managed to fly direct from Newcastle to Heathrow and after a very scary first holiday, trying to find my way around Heathrow and its terminals, I am now reasonably confident about Heathrow. 

However, I haven't travelled with you for ages now because practically every Euro holiday that has attracted me recently departs from Gatwick which fills me with fear! The thought of trying to get from Newcastle to Gatwick (with all the manoeuvring through London etc.) has totally put me off booking anything!

However, I thought I would ask the question just in case there is an easy way to do it! So, from all your customer experiences, do you know the best way to get from Newcastle to Gatwick?

Keeping my fingers crossed as I would love to travel with you again.  I am unable to travel longhaul just now but perhaps one day I will be able to again then I can go via my familiar Heathrow again!  Of course having opportunities to fly direct from Newcastle would be even better but I doubt that will happen any time soon 🙂.

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Sookie,

It would be great to have you on another trip with us

Many of our customers choose to go down to London the night before, and stay overnight at Gatwick. This makes things easier as you can wake up there and not worry about traffic etc.

I'm sure your fellow travellers on the forum will also have great advice.

Thanks,

Vickie

RogertheRed
(Member)
By train there are at least 2 fairly simple ways:-

1. Newcastle to Kings Cross-take tube to Victoria (no changes) then over ground rail to Gatwick.

2. Newcastle to Kings Cross-walk to St. Pancras International (4mins about 400 yards) then over ground to Gatwick.

Gatwick is an easy airport to navigate to either terminal.

Hope this is of some help to you.

IanWight
(Member)
Hi Sookie,

I used to do this on a fairly regular basis in reverse. Several airlines cover this route including, on a quick look, BA & EasyJet.

There are only 2 terminals at Gatwick & it is very easy to find your way around.

Ian

sjm533
(Member)
Hi Sookie

I sympathise with you.  Gatwick is an absolute nightmare to get to.  Newcastle and/or Leeds Bradford are my nearest airports.   

Trains, when they run, or not on strike, can be a nightmare, and I have no intention of dragging my luggage across London on tubes, etc.

National Express is an option if you are prepared to spend 8-9 hours in a coach.

Another option is to fly to Heathrow and take the Heathrow/Gatwick National Express coach.  When you come out of T5 the coach stops are very easy to find.

Some tours go from Newcastle but often travel at ungodly times on cheap airlines.

I have looked at these options several times, but have reluctantly come to the conclusion that if it doesn’t go from Heathrow, then I don’t go either.

Hope some of this helps,

Sylvia

IanWight
(Member)
'IanWight' wrote:

Hi Sookie,

I used to do this on a fairly regular basis in reverse. Several airlines cover this route including, on a quick look, BA & EasyJet.

There are only 2 terminals at Gatwick & it is very easy to find your way around.

Ian

On a second look I don't think EasyJet fly this route. I have certainly flown with them to Newcastle but perhaps not on this route or they have changed their schedules....

RogertheRed
(Member)
'IanWight' wrote:

'IanWight' wrote:

Hi Sookie,

Ian

On a second look I don't think EasyJet fly this route. I have certainly flown with them to Newcastle but perhaps not on this route or they have changed their schedules....

I don't think there are any direct flights now. They go via Dublin or Amsterdam.

magpie10
(Member)
Hi,

I also live in Newcastle and try to avoid Gatwick at all costs if I can.

Easyjet no longer fly to Gatwick so there are no direct flights. Last year when I went to Sicily I flew from Newcastle to Heathrow, then got the National Express coach to Gatwick. I had two overnight stays either side of the holiday to make sure I had plenty of time to get between airports, but I think I was more worried about delays getting between the airports than anything else (traffic jams, etc).

It’s not impossible, but even if JY offered other airports it would be much easier. Newcastle airport have enough flight options to most destinations so it would be nice if JY offered more choice. I have started looking at other companies now as most of them fly direct from Newcastle, so it’s always worth looking around and comparing first.

Do you know which holiday/s you are interested in as sometimes there are options to fly from Manchester, etc?

Regards

Caroline