Dina
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Julia

As we are now getting nearer to this holiday, I would be grateful if you could please advise how many people are on this trip?

How many people are flying from Heathrow?

Who the Tour Manager is  and is he/she flying out with us from LHR?

I hope that the TM is travelling out with us because I am a little concerned that we only have one and half hours transfer time at Schiphol and that there have been delays at European airports,one of the worst being Schiphol,at Passport control.

I am sure though even if the TM isn't with us we will be fine.

Thanks in advance!

best wishes

Di

Moderator2
(Member)
Good Afternoon Dina,

There are currently 9 travellers booked on this tour and the group is made up of 2 men and 7 women. The age ranges from early-30s to late-70s.

There are 6 travellers flying out from London Heathrow airport.

The tour manager provisionally allocated to this tour is Jennifer Whalley and she will be flying out with you from London Heathrow.

Please let me know if I can be of any more help.

Kind Regards,

Mildred

jayli
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Dina' wrote:

Hi Julia

As we are now getting nearer to this holiday, I would be grateful if you could please advise how many people are on this trip?

How many people are flying from Heathrow?

Who the Tour Manager is  and is he/she flying out with us from LHR?

I hope that the TM is travelling out with us because I am a little concerned that we only have one and half hours transfer time at Schiphol and that there have been delays at European airports,one of the worst being Schiphol,at Passport control.

I am sure though even if the TM isn't with us we will be fine.

Thanks in advance!

best wishes

Di

Di

I shouldn't worry too much: the queues at AMS for passport and baggage checks into and out of the Schengen area used to be horrendous but, last time I went through (last December from Cardiff), I was surprised at how much the situation had improved, with a rationalisation of the baggage checks and the introduction of e-passport gates (at least when leaving the Schengen area, probably in both directions by now?). The passport control was still manual when I last went through, but at least all the booths were (wo)manned, so it wasn't too bad. There may be a long walk to the gate though. I had 55 minutes to catch my second flight, and made it without any problem.

If my experience is anything to go by, 90 minutes should be more than enough if your first flight lands on time. If it doesn't  then, as I recall, they had introduced a 'fast lane' for the Schengen exit for passengers whose flights were delayed, and I imagine they have one for Schengen entry as well.

Of course, things may have worsened again - but I went into and out of Munich airport in May, into Keflavik and out through Copenhagen in June/July, and into/out of Munich again in July, and had no delays at passport control, so it can't be bad everywhere in Europe.

Jim

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Wow only nine travellers! It will be a nice cosy group. Hope you have a wonderful time. Am looking forward to reading all about it on your return.

Best wishes

Jaya

Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Good afternoon Mildred

Thank you very much for your swift response.

Your reply has made me think though, I am wondering if a few have cancelled because I feel fairly certain that there were 13 on this trip last time I enquired through Customer services.

Now that my suitcase pharmacy is arranged for the tour and knowing that we will have a TM travelling with us I am getting quite excited about seeing pandas, prayer wheels and stunning scenery etc.

Kind regards

Di

Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Jim

Thank you very much for your advice. Much appreciated, had seen an article in the Metro on Wednesday about 4 hour queues at European airports including Schiphol to go through passport control. The school holidays don't help.

Am reassured now that hour and half should be plenty of time at Schiphol (we did transfer there when we went to Peru).

Am also pleased that the TM is travelling out with us.

Enjoy your next trip, hoping you have loads of photo opportunities.

Best wishes

Di

Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Mildred

Sorry to bother you again.

You wrote that there are 9 on this tour, but just thinking are there a few more that are doing the tour plus the add-on?

Kind regards

Di

Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Jaya

Nice to hear from you, yes, it certainly will be a little group.

No matter how many are going it should be fun, well perhaps not fun, interesting.

I shall look forward to hearing about Kenya,too, when you return from there. I still hanker about going back there, along with India, it still remains as one of my two favourite countries.

Now I have Chile and Easter Island booked, I would be grateful if you could get you bank robbery group planned.

best wishes

Di

Moderator2
(Member)
'Dina' wrote:

Hi Mildred

Sorry to bother you again.

You wrote that there are 9 on this tour, but just thinking are there a few more that are doing the tour plus the add-on?

Kind regards

Di

Good Afternoon Dina,

I hope you are having a great day so far.

From my records, I don't see anyone booked on the add on yet but the main tour is now fully booked with 14 travellers.

Kind Regards,

Mildred

Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello Mildred

Thank you for your information, much appreciated.

Have a good day (presumably you will be moderating this on Monday)

Kind regards

Di

JudyB2017
(Member)
Hi Dina,

I'm booked on the September "Roof of the World", and dragging along my (female) friend. We're travelling from Birmingham (BHX) to Schipol, so I was interested to read about the short time window.

It's my first travel and it's a big one for me alone. I think I'm up to date with passport/visa and jabs. With four weeks or so left I'm trying to sort out what clothes to take. I don't want to be lugging around a big suitcase as we are moving regularly from each destination, so I'm looking for some advice on quantities, and types of clothing.

I'm walking every day especially brisk walking up-hill, and I hope there'll be oxygen available rather than take acetozolamide.

What advice can you or anyone else give me?

I'm really looking forward to this trip even if I'm a little nervous! It'll be good to meet others whether one of the 9 or the 14!

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
'JudyB2017' wrote:

Hi Dina,

I'm booked on the September "Roof of  the World", and dragging along my (female) friend. We're travelling from Birmingham (BHX) to Schipol, so I was interested to read about the short time window.

It's my first travel and it's a big one for me alone. I think I'm up to date with passport/visa and jabs. With four weeks or so left I'm trying to sort out what clothes to take. I don't want to be lugging around a big suitcase as we are moving regularly from each destination, so I'm looking for some advice on quantities, and types of clothing.  

I'm walking every day especially brisk walking up-hill, and I hope there'll be oxygen available rather than take acetozolamide.

What advice can you or anyone else give me?

I'm really looking forward to this trip even if I'm a little nervous! It'll be good to meet others whether one of the 9 or the 14!

Hi Judy,

I did an extensive review of this trip in May - if you look under the Search button and Reviews and Roof of the World you will see it. There was NOT oxygen at every hotel in Tibet. I strongly advise that you start taking the acetozolamide before you fly to Lhasa from China. Also, hotels in Tibet do not supply free bottles of water, so make sure you always have enough.

It is a fantastic trip - enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils

Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Judy

It is good to hear from someone else on this trip.

I am travelling from Heathrow although I only live 15 minutes away from Birmingham. Although I have done loads of JY tours I was a little hesitant about travelling to Schiphol by myself and wanted to make sure that I met fellow travellers at the airport!

I don't normally like wearing layers of clothing but on this holiday I think it will be a certainty. I don't think I will be taking anything particularly special to wear in the evenings on this holiday either. The luggage allowance at 20 kgs is lower than what I am used to.

I know we travel to over 16,000 feet but it isn't a certain  that we will need oxygen. I didn't in Peru when I was at that altitude, even though I was ill whilst there.

I do recommend reading Hils' review, I have found it very helpful. (thank you Hils)

Look forward to meeting you and everyone else on 3rd September. 

Kind Regards

Di

Jennie Whalley
(Member)
Hello to everyone travelling on the Roof of the World trip on 3rd September.

I am Jennie your Tour Manager for this trip.

We are now 14 (+me), and I will be travelling from Heathrow with 6 of you. Please don't worry about the transfer between flights, if any one has a delay into Amsterdam, mention it to the staff on board before disembarking and they will advise you of the quickest way to get to our onward flight.

With regard to clothing - what to pack.

The weather is likely to be mainly warm, but a light jacket or fleece would be useful in Tibet. China tours are mainly casual, not always time to change for dinner, so shorts, crops or light trousers, with shirts, t shirts etc. Perhaps a waterproof -"just in case"!

Please do not spend too much time worrying about altitude sickness, we will be taking it very slowly as we acclimatise. You may experience some shortness of breath as the air is thinner, but as long as we take it steady you should be fine without oxygen.

Remember to pack sun screen as it is easy to get burnt at high altitude!

I am looking forward to meeting you all, we will have a great adventure discovering this wonderful country together.

Jennie Whalley

JudyB2017
(Member)
'Jennie Whalley' wrote:

We are now 14 (+me), and I will be travelling from Heathrow with 6 of you. Please don't worry about the transfer between flights, if any one has a delay into Amsterdam, mention it to the staff on board before disembarking and they will advise you of the quickest way to get to our onward flight.

The weather is likely to be mainly warm, but a light jacket or fleece would be useful in Tibet. China tours are mainly casual, not always time to change for dinner, so shorts, crops or light trousers, with shirts, t shirts etc. Perhaps a waterproof -"just in case"!

Please do not spend too much time worrying about altitude sickness, we will be taking it very slowly as we acclimatise. You may experience some shortness of breath as the air is thinner, but as long as we take it steady you should be fine without oxygen.

I am looking forward to meeting you all, we will have a great adventure discovering this wonderful country together.

Jennie Whalley

Hi Jennie

Thanks for that reassuring reply re clothes and altitude. Just a couple of queries at the moment; 

do we have to collect our bags and re-check in at Schipol, or are they re routed on for us, so we only have to make sure we get ourselves to the right departure gate? 

What is your advice about currency?

I'm meeting up with my fellow traveller this weekend and we may have more queries, so hopefully you'll be able to to answer those right up to departure.

Many thanks

Judy

Jennie Whalley
(Member)
'JudyB2017' wrote:

'Jennie Whalley' wrote:

Jennie Whalley

Hi Jennie

Thanks for that reassuring reply re clothes and altitude. Just a couple of queries at the moment; 

do we have to collect our bags and re-check in at Schipol, or are they re routed on for us, so we only have to make sure we get ourselves to the right departure gate? 

I'm meeting up with my fellow traveller this weekend and we may have more queries, so hopefully you'll be able to to answer those right up to departure.

Many thanks

Judy

Good morning Judy

When you check in in the UK you should ask for your cases to be checked through to Chendu, otherwise you would be pushed for time in Amsterdam.

As for currency you will need to bring some of yuan with you to buy extra water, and any shopping from street vendors -( I recommend waiting until we get to Yangshou where there are more shopping opportunities, also there will be banking and exchange services). All large shops take credit cards. If you want to book optional trips you can pay in sterling.

The hotels and banks in China have ATM's, and will also change sterling, although I understand that away from Llasa banking may be limited in Tibet. (In an emergency if you run out of yuan I always have extra and can change for you).

Jennie

Dina
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Good afternoon Jennie

Thank you for both of your reassuring posts.

Looking forward to this holiday and meeting you and everyone else in just over 3 weeks time.

Best wishes

Di

Hornblower
(Member)
'JudyB2017' wrote:

'Jennie Whalley' wrote:

Jennie Whalley

Hi Jennie

Many thanks

Judy

Hornblower
(Member)
'JudyB2017' wrote:

'Jennie Whalley' wrote:

Jennie Whalley

Hi Jennie

Many thanks

Judy

Hi Jennie.

I am on this tour flying from Birmingham, thanks for your advise about check-in. I thought our cases would have been checked straight through to China. I am really looking forward to this trip, i did the China tour 3 years ago and enjoyed it but Tibet sounds so much different.

Hornblower.