BGray
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Mildred, virtually every holiday company offers hot air balloon rides and yet JY and TS dropped them a few years ago after the accident in Egypt. I would dearly love to do one and when I've been in places where they've been on offer the itinerary has meant I haven't even been able to do one independently which is very frustrating. Here's a link to a website with suggestions for recommended companies. Is there any chance JY and TS will reconsider and facilitate us doing one even by ourselves? 

http://www.independenttraveler.com/slideshow/the-worlds-9-best-hot-air-balloon-rides 

Best wishes, 

Bob

Moderator2
(Member)
Good Afternoon Bob,

When on a tour, you should be able to do one by yourself during your leisure time but you will need to make sure that your travel insurance covers activities such as hot air balloons.

Please understand that our customers health and safety will always come first and we don't want to put you in any kind of danger.

The team will be reviewing this excursion and all your suggestions are being taken on board.

Kind Regards,

Mildred

BGray
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Mildred,

Thanks for your reply.  I had a brilliant time in Namibia but the icing on the cake would have been to do a balloon flight over the dunes at Sossusvlei.  I asked if I could do it during free time, but the only time the flights go is early morning - and that was the time we were visiting the dunes!  My fellow travellers, knowing that I really wanted to do one, helpfully pointed out balloons in the sky as we journeyed through the dunes!  I certainly don't want to miss out on any included excursions to do a balloon ride but it would be very helpful if the itinerary could be arranged in such a way that we could do a ride in our free time.  I have a feeling it will be the same in Burma at Bagan - that the time the flights will be operating is the very time we will be visiting the temples.  At least I got to go up in a helium balloon in Tallinn last month...

Ah well, you can't win them all....

All the best,

Bob

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob

I know I was brave enough to do the micro light flight, but not sure if I would be brave enough to do the hot air balloon ride . On the other hand who knows - I may be tempted if it is on offer as I seem to be getting a bit 'braver' as I age!

Jaya

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
I agree Bob.  I would have loved to do one in Burma - unfortunately there wasn't enough leisure time and I understand it is very expensive in Bagan.  However I do feel that JY should offer the experience where it is available with suitable caveats such as we are covered by our own travel insurance - it is a great way to experience a country and a wonderful experience in itself.

Cheers

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Not with JY ...but I have been on a hot air balloon flight in Australia and must admit it was amazing so I hope they bring these back on tours at some stage.

Cindy

SarahS
(Member)
I agree. I did an early morning balloon flight over the Valley of the kings a few years ago. Sheer magic.
AbbaDave
(Member)
i did the hot air balloon in Alice Springs OZ, a memorable experience and well worth getting up at 4am for

then the dreaded Health & Safety got involved banning things like hot air balloons and dune bashing in the emirates as fun isn't something they advise so says the Health & Safety man lol

Dave

simmag2
(Member)
Hi Bob

Thanks for your Post. I am off to Namibia next October - like you I would love to do a balloon trip. Fingers crossed it is decided that it is a safe enough option!  What was the holiday like overall?